Have a Wobble at highway speeds (not death wobble) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By chitown35

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Have a Wobble at highway speeds (not death wobble)

I recently got a new job that requires me to go on the highway and I noticed a very aggressive wobble at speeds over 55, its consistent throughout after 55. Looking to see if I can locate it.

I have a 2007 2dr, here is what I have done to my suspension:

RK progressive 2.5 springs

Bilstein 5160 shocks for 2.5 lift.

RC Front forged trackbar

RC rear trackbar bracket

RC front disconnectable links

RC rear links

Core 4x4 tier 2 front lower control arms

My alignment is decent, need to fix the caster a bit to bring it to 4.5 cause I'm at 4.2 and 4.3 right now.

My passenger side rear shock is shot, got a new rear set and I just have to swap them out when I get time.

Could the shock be causing this? Any help would be great because I keep finding threads about death wobble in search for an answer and I most definitely don't have death wobble. It happens on a very smooth highway with no bumps and I can stop it from happening if I slow down to under 55.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 01:17 PM
Granite Guru

Sounds like a tire balance issue
Fklein6768, yobayn and Rick Rand like this.

||||||| 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
Auto / 4.56 Gears / ARB Front, Auburn Ected Rear Locker & LSD / G2 Core 44 35 Spline Axles / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 37" KM3s on Method 105 Beadlocks
post #3 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 02:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
Speed related is a good indicator it's a tire/balance issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 02:42 PM
JKO Addict!

What type/size tire?

Can you borrow a set that you know is true/balanced?

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #5 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
Speed related is a good indicator it's a tire/balance issue.

Thanks for the replies guys, went I went back to townfair for a balance they told me that on larger tires they use this stuff that they put on the inside to balance tires, they don't actually put weights on the wheels. I'll go back just in case but I do have 35 inch general grabber tax. Appreciate the help.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
What type/size tire?

Can you borrow a set that you know is true/balanced?

Also great idea, my stockies that I use for inspections are definitely balanced, I can use them to see if it's definitely that.

post #7 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 04:52 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerolos'sJK View Post
Thanks for the replies guys, went I went back to townfair for a balance they told me that on larger tires they use this stuff that they put on the inside to balance tires, they don't actually put weights on the wheels. I'll go back just in case but I do have 35 inch general grabber tax. Appreciate the help.

Dynabeads? Those worked for the most part for me on my last set of tires (35s), minus a small occasional wobble around 50.

There's no reason they can't do a regular balance with larger tires though. In my experience it works better. However depending on the tire it seems that the dynamic balance is just too much weight and they can do a static balance instead.

On my current set of 37s, the machine had them putting upwards of 25oz with the dynamic balance, but the static balance was only 6-9 oz and is smooth as glass.

||||||| 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
Auto / 4.56 Gears / ARB Front, Auburn Ected Rear Locker & LSD / G2 Core 44 35 Spline Axles / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 37" KM3s on Method 105 Beadlocks
post #8 of 12 Old 04-22-2019, 06:13 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I agree this sounds like a lack of tire balance issue - or a poorly balanced tire issue.

Several factors go into whether or not a shop can balance your tires. Is their equipment large enough to fit the tire -and- can they collar your rim. Meaning is the hole in the center of your rim too large for them to use on their equipment. Some rims have center holes too large to collar on standard tire balancing equipment.

35s are small enough tires they should have used external weights - no matter what. For 37s and larger tires, they do some times use internal weights but don't let them. If your shop wants to go that route go somewhere else. Even a national chain like Tires Plus can do a good job and do it correct with external weights - and get the tires in balance with 37s. As long, of course, as you don't have 8x6.5 rims with massive centers that they can't find collars for. You know, so they can hold the rims on the machines with.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-23-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you guys for these super informative replies. I am going in to get the tires balanced anyways but, this morning I did take the time to replace my passenger side rear shock which was leaking, while at it I replaced the driver's side just so they match and the wobble is gone. Some more shaking comes back at maybe 80 but I don't go that fast anyways and I think it's more of a "jeep thing" than an actual issue because it's more of the whole jeep shaking a tiny tiny bit. I think it's fixed but I'm definitely gonna go get a real balance.

Last edited by Kerolos'sJK; 04-23-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Yeah, not a bad idea to get the tires balanced anyway. It is a rare thing for that kind of shimmy to be caused by a leaking rear shock.
Especially when the shake is speed induced at a certain range/condition and not constant.

Better safe than sorry!
post #11 of 12 Old 04-23-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-JKU View Post
Yeah, not a bad idea to get the tires balanced anyway. It is a rare thing for that kind of shimmy to be caused by a leaking rear shock.

Especially when the shake is speed induced at a certain range/condition and not constant.

Better safe than sorry!
Those are very wise words, i just had to put a whole new tranny in because i didn't necessarily do that before with a transmission leak. Thanks for your help man

post #12 of 12 Old 04-30-2019, 05:17 PM
Rock God

Step 1, check tyres for balance & out of round. I had a set that was perfectly balanced but still caused vibration because they were not perfectly round any more.

Step 2, fix the caster. As I commented on Wranglerforum yesterday, I have had this sort of thing, particularly after hitting an angled bump on the road at that speed range, & it felt almost as bad as true DW, but was just steering shimmy due to the caster angle being too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone7
When you die, you see your life going by in a flash.

Steve Jobs didn't - Apple doesn't support Flash.
This message has been reviewed & approved by the NSA, Google and Microsoft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode