Rattle Free Tire Carrier, looking for opinions. PSC, Expedition one, Genright, ETC? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 04-06-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Rattle Free Tire Carrier, looking for opinions. PSC, Expedition one, Genright, ETC?

Hey all, recently purchased a 16' JKUR HR that has some aftermarket parts on it already and I'm tired of the rattly tire carrier. It has the Smittybilt SRC oversized tire carrier and its horrendous with how much it rattles and we haven't even been off-road yet. Been on the tire carrier hunt for the past week or so and seems like so many options. Seems like body mounted carriers or a carrier that ties into the rear bumper would be the way to go for support. Been looking at tire carriers and tire carrier/bumper setups.

Genright - I really love the look of the Genright tire carrier, seems like a setup like this would definitely be rattle free since it's not attached to the tailgate one bit. I could also run any bumper I like with this setup. Not sure if I like how this style of carrier attaches to the body. Not sure how well the rear corners would do if the carrier caught an edge dropping of a ledge or such. Obviously I don't plan on backing into anything but in the case of getting rear ended or if you did back into a tree or such I would imagine the body damage of the rear corners could be bad. I've seen a few examples of this happening which concerns me. This type of carrier is also not single action opening and you'll have to use two hands to open it. I've seen the Evo carrier but not looking at replacing rear corners yet.

Poison Spyder offers their Rock Brawler II bumper and tire carrier. Looks to offer pretty solid features and construction.

Expedition One trail series rear bumper with tire carrier - looks pretty solid as well.

JCR Shield carrier with Crusader bumper - I like the diagonal hi-lift jack mount option for this carrier.

Any input for a rattle free solution? Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-06-2019, 11:47 AM
JKO Addict!

I recommend to remove the spare all together and carry on board air and a plug kit. AAA would be recommended for those not able to plug a tire and fill it up with air. Over sized tire carriers are more trouble than they are worth.
SoK66 likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 Old 04-06-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I recommend to remove the spare all together and carry on board air and a plug kit. AAA would be recommended for those not able to plug a tire and fill it up with air. Over sized tire carriers are more trouble than they are worth.
I appreciate your input and get what you're saying but that's also assuming any tire damage I may run across, is able to be plugged. It's usually the case but doesn't account for all circumstances. There's a reason why many people carry full size spares. I will definitely be carrying plugs/patches and air but I also want to carry a spare, reason for my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 04-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Granite Guru

I use the TeraFlex hinged carrier.

A bit pricey but it suits my needs/wants.

No need to open two things to get into cargo area. Install was straight forward (stupid easy)
Great customer service.
Maintain factory look.
Over 30k miles and Iíve never heard a peep out of it. I donít like rattles either but itís a Jeep, they are inevitable.
rockystock likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 04-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I also run the Teraflex hinge carrier. It's good for up to 37's. Thought the fastening method for the spare tire bracket looked sketchy, but it's also been rattle and trouble free for ~4 years 40k miles. I did replace the crappy grade 5 fasteners for grade 8.
post #6 of 35 Old 04-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Vaporware jeep

I have the TF tire carrier because I too thought I needed to carry around another 120+lbs of crap for no reason. At the end of the day, I wish I just ran no spare and left the hinges stock. The TF carrier squeaks like fat people having sex in an old bed.
post #7 of 35 Old 04-06-2019, 07:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
I use the TeraFlex hinged carrier.
https://youtu.be/4TpzXGHNgW8

A bit pricey but it suits my needs/wants.

No need to open two things to get into cargo area. Install was straight forward (stupid easy)
Great customer service.
Maintain factory look.
Over 30k miles and Iíve never heard a peep out of it. I donít like rattles either but itís a Jeep, they are inevitable.
Another vote for the TeraFlex , I carry a real heavy Hutchinson Beadlock 8 lug wheel , no noise whatsoever .
I allows you to open the gate unlike some of the others , just like the factory method .
post #8 of 35 Old 04-06-2019, 07:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
Another vote for the TeraFlex , I carry a real heavy Hutchinson Beadlock 8 lug wheel , no noise whatsoever .
I allows you to open the gate unlike some of the others , just like the factory method .
How many of you guys running an oversized tire carrier have actually had to swap out a ripped out sidewall?

Some build info here:

post #9 of 35 Old 04-06-2019, 08:27 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
How many of you guys running an oversized tire carrier have actually had to swap out a ripped out sidewall?
Contemplating this dilemma also and would like to get a general idea how often a sidewall tear happens (never had one happen myself) to help make my decision on next rear bumper. I’ve always carried a full size spare but love the look of the cleaned up tailgate and flush rear bumper or frame cap plus the weight savings. Whenever I go wheeling somewhere far away enough that I get an AirBnB I usually pull the spare off anyways and stow it inside so its not rattling and a rock anchor to crumple my tailgate, but at least its still reasonably close by in case I gotta get a buddy to run back and get it. Positives and negatives for sure concerning carrying a spare.

Last edited by hokiewest; 04-06-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #10 of 35 Old 04-07-2019, 04:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Never but......

I can just about guarantee it, I would the very first time I left home without a spare. Itís simply how my luck goes.
Tspevacek, rockystock and rlee like this.
post #11 of 35 Old 04-07-2019, 05:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmedic920 View Post
Never but......

I can just about guarantee it, I would the very first time I left home without a spare. Itís simply how my luck goes.
I am a firm believer if it was not for bad luck, I would have no luck at all.
post #12 of 35 Old 04-07-2019, 07:56 AM
JKO Addict!

I have had it happen to me twice off road with no spare. Made it home both times. The double bead locks can be run totally flat and not damage the wheel unless you loose the tread. I can and do carry a spare on some of the more extreme stuff and my 40 fits in the back of the jeep but I have no desire to carry the extra 130 pounds of view blocking tire when I don't have too. I have also seen more then a few people back into trees with the over sized carrier caving in their tailgate or catching the carrier on a ledge when going down. In over 2 millions miles of road driving I have only had 1 total tire blow out but several nails and screws that were easily plugged. Just saying it is pretty rare to tear a tire off if you pay any attention to your lines when off road.

Some build info here:

post #13 of 35 Old 04-07-2019, 09:51 AM
Granite Guru

OP, another one to look into is the EVO hinged tire carrier. I went with that one over the taraflex because of how much stronger it is. I wanted one that would holed a 37 and still alow one hand opening of the rear door. I have kids and that just makes life easier. It can also be adjusted so the tire sits higher and less likely to get hit on a ledge.

Name:  image_1554655891318.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  1.65 MB

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
post #14 of 35 Old 04-07-2019, 12:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Never Ö..Thank God .
post #15 of 35 Old 04-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I have broken a rim before. My wife goes with me usually, and feels safer with a spare tire. So, a tire carrier is a must, out of respect for her. Meanwhile, I use my plugs to help others on the trail to get somewhere.
I have the MetalCloak carrier, and it works for me.
post #16 of 35 Old 04-08-2019, 05:21 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_Bound View Post
Hey all, recently purchased a 16' JKUR HR that has some aftermarket parts on it already and I'm tired of the rattly tire carrier. It has the Smittybilt SRC oversized tire carrier and its horrendous with how much it rattles and we haven't even been off-road yet. Been on the tire carrier hunt for the past week or so and seems like so many options. Seems like body mounted carriers or a carrier that ties into the rear bumper would be the way to go for support. Been looking at tire carriers and tire carrier/bumper setups.

Genright - I really love the look of the Genright tire carrier, seems like a setup like this would definitely be rattle free since it's not attached to the tailgate one bit. I could also run any bumper I like with this setup. Not sure if I like how this style of carrier attaches to the body. Not sure how well the rear corners would do if the carrier caught an edge dropping of a ledge or such. Obviously I don't plan on backing into anything but in the case of getting rear ended or if you did back into a tree or such I would imagine the body damage of the rear corners could be bad. I've seen a few examples of this happening which concerns me. This type of carrier is also not single action opening and you'll have to use two hands to open it. I've seen the Evo carrier but not looking at replacing rear corners yet.

Poison Spyder offers their Rock Brawler II bumper and tire carrier. Looks to offer pretty solid features and construction.

Expedition One trail series rear bumper with tire carrier - looks pretty solid as well.

JCR Shield carrier with Crusader bumper - I like the diagonal hi-lift jack mount option for this carrier.

Any input for a rattle free solution? Thanks for your time.
I cant speak but to the one I have. It is a MetalCloak. I got it because the tire tread sits on a ledge and it locks open free of the gate. I air up the spare after it is bolted on this put pressure on the ledge and it holds super tight but still easy to remove. The lock open is good for the wife because she can open it on a hill and lock it but she could not hold it open on a hill. I have never noticed any noise from this carrier on or offroad.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #17 of 35 Old 04-08-2019, 08:19 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
I have the TF tire carrier because I too thought I needed to carry around another 120+lbs of crap for no reason. At the end of the day, I wish I just ran no spare and left the hinges stock. The TF carrier squeaks like fat people having sex in an old bed.
Really? Mines as quiet as AOC's bedroom. Try taking it off and reinstalling it so the load on those bolts are spread evenly. Also make sure the tire is pressing firm against. I had to install hockey pucks on my carrier due to the backspacing of my wheels
rockystock likes this.
post #18 of 35 Old 04-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
First time I went wheeling without a spare I cut 2 sidewalls beyond plugs and cracked a rim on another tire. However Iím not going to be running a tire carrier, Iím going to just toss it in the back behind the rear seats laying flat.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #19 of 35 Old 04-09-2019, 04:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUR33 View Post
OP, another one to look into is the EVO hinged tire carrier. I went with that one over the taraflex because of how much stronger it is. I wanted one that would holed a 37 and still alow one hand opening of the rear door. I have kids and that just makes life easier. It can also be adjusted so the tire sits higher and less likely to get hit on a ledge.

Attachment 336314
How is the EVO stronger than the Teraflex? I've had one on there holding a 37" spare sicne 2014 and can open the trunk with one hand as well. It's made it through White Knuckle hill smacking the spare and no issues whatsoever. Just curious.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #20 of 35 Old 04-09-2019, 04:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Dirtman asks the right question here. I lug around a 37" spare that I absolutely cannot lift by myself onto the carrier. I have OBA and two plug kit sets on board as well. I figure I could get rid of over 200 lbs off the rear suspension by ditching the SoB spare, the tire carrier and the bumper. I once did a trail with a guy who carried no spare and slashed the sidewall on a BFG MT. We filled the cut with about a dozen plugs packed in tight. We waited a bit for the plug glue to set up and filled the tire. Guy drove over 150 miles home with no issues. So......

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #21 of 35 Old 04-09-2019, 04:35 PM
JKO Addict!

I have a TF to install but only because the beach badge requires a spare and throwing that in the back takes the rear seat out of the equation which then defeats the benefit of driving on the beach/would be missing several kids

I dont run with one regularly/that shit is heavy and I currently need the use of the back seat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #22 of 35 Old 04-09-2019, 05:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
How is the EVO stronger than the Teraflex? I've had one on there holding a 37" spare sicne 2014 and can open the trunk with one hand as well. It's made it through White Knuckle hill smacking the spare and no issues whatsoever. Just curious.

Just ask WOL they will tell you the EVO is better and stronger.
rockystock likes this.

Some build info here:

post #23 of 35 Old 04-09-2019, 08:35 PM
V8 dreams

My smitty doesn't rattle, but about everything has broken on it at some point over the years and needed to be fixed. That said, it's about to come off as I have never needed it. Rest assured I will need it soon as I make this change lol.

I recently went to a lighter tire and non beadlock wheel and shaved off 116# of rolling, unsprung weight...talk about a different jeep. Now I'm wanting to take that big sumbitch off the back and lighten her up even more

2010 Silver JKU
post #24 of 35 Old 04-10-2019, 04:42 AM

Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier

I also had a Smittybuilt rear bumper with tire carrier, worst money I ever spent. I took my time looking for a replacement and I chose the LOD Destroyer setup. Had it for over a year now and absolutely no problems. Check it out; https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep...-carriers.html
post #25 of 35 Old 04-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Granite Guru

I have a 37" hanging on an orfab carrier with a highlift. Been running for about four or five years with no rattles. It opens separate from the tailgate. The TF version came out right after I installed mine. If I was buying today, I would go with the TF just because of the one handed operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode