Rattle Free Tire Carrier, looking for opinions. PSC, Expedition one, Genright, ETC? - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 31 Old 04-10-2019, 08:37 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
spare tire carrier - AEV

I was able to find a used AEV bumper and tire carrier.

I still am running stock tires until they wear out, so I cannot speak to hauling around an oversized spare. Like many of the other aftermarket options, I liked the idea of getting the weight of the spare and tire carrier onto the frame, and mostly off the tailgate.

A few weeks after doing the installation, I had to refer to AEV's (very clear) adjustment instructions to eliminate a slight rattle. It's been all quiet for the many months since. It's a well-engineered product, in my opinion.

Last edited by JJS2; 04-10-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 31 Old 04-11-2019, 09:17 AM

First post but hopefully helpful, I got the ACE tire carrier and bumper, cost was only a slightly more than the TF carrier but was a bumper and carrier, one hand open, attaches to bumper and tailgate but all weight on bumper, rattle free for 3 years with 35" tire sofar. I believe it can hold upto 40" maybe 37" but also can change the mount bracket to slant if you have the fastback style top. Built in hitch and with or without precut holes for rear LEDs.

jk-pro-series-bumper-with-tire-carrier, cant post link since this is my first post sry

And as i just looked, it seems to have gone up a couple hundred but might still be worth a look if you want and bumper to
post #28 of 31 Old 04-11-2019, 02:27 PM
Wheeler

I have no noise issues with my Smitty Built $100 carrier. Maybe you should just consider re-mounting it and use a little Loc-Tite on the bolt threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 31 Old 04-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Granite Guru

I've gone form a Smittybilt.... to a modded Smittybilt (added bracing and a rack), have always had rattling, but wasn't unbearable.... stepped up from heavy beadlock 37's to even heavier and beadlocked 40's and went with the Genright..... mounted it through the body and the PSC corners.... am in the process of adding other mounts for hilift, rotopax and a rack.....

As of now, no rattles, and feels stout....

if you think you will be having an easy time getting in and out of your tailgate, don't.... it's a pain...

I am sure there are many other options from tailgate to bumper mounting carriers..... what swung me (pun intended) was adding additional weight for expedition type solo adventures..... I don;t want to be that far back without a spare

I don't let sleeping dogs lie
post #30 of 31 Old 04-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Granite Guru

Teraflex here. 37" Cooper STT Pro on Method bead lock with no rattles. One handed opening and stupid easy install.

"It's not the critic who counts..." T. Roosevelt
post #31 of 31 Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
Wheeler

I liked the Teraflex carrier but not the price. I looked at the Rugged Ridge Spartacus carrier and it is very similarly built at a couple hundred dollars less cost. I bought one, took an hour to install it and it does not rattle with my 35's mounted. Have had it on the car for 500 miles now and no rattles, rust, etc. It is cast aluminum and heavy but it works just fine. Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode