• 1 Post By ALASHA
  • 1 Post By KnightJK
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By mmilburn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Axles

Good morning, I have a 07 JKU Sahara with a d30 up front and a d44 in the rear. I am looking for different options for a front axle. I know everyone will say D60 up front and 14b in the rear.

I thought about just getting a Rubicon D44 and putting it up there but I can buy the D60 for a few hundred bucks, same with the 14b...

What my question is what have you done to beef up your front and rear axles? What gear ratio and tires size are you running? And hi is it holding up? What would you do differently?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 05:19 AM
JKO Addict!

OK I will start this one off. What size tires and what do you plan on doing with it?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Dirtman got it headed in correct direction .
I'll ask the next question :
what's the budget you're workin with?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 06:18 AM
Rock God

Axles for a couple hundred. Sounds like just the housing and you then have to buy internals for it and setup the brackets to accept the JK control arms.

Usually when I read these type of threads I think, “ if you have to ask these basic questions, you probably don’t need it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ALASHA likes this.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #5 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
OK I will start this one off. What size tires and what do you plan on doing with it?
Eventually I want to be running 40s and will be doing a bit of everything.

Matt
post #6 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Axles for a couple hundred. Sounds like just the housing and you then have to buy internals for it and setup the brackets to accept the JK control arms.

Usually when I read these type of threads I think, “ if you have to ask these basic questions, you probably don’t need it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No this will be a full junkyard axle, I plan on setting the axles up myself, I have a friend who is a welder/ fabricator who will be welding on the trusses. Around me a D60 out of a 05+ SD F250 is $350

Matt
post #7 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

I would like to keep both axles fully built under 5k

Matt
post #8 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:

I would like to keep both axles fully built under 5k, buy the axles cheap enough and spend the money on the internals

Matt
post #9 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 08:25 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Ben Ertel of JK Gear & Gadgets is just about done with his set - D60/14b. Several good videos on his YouTube channel. 5k sounds doable. Good luck!
Matt1114 likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 09:18 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1114 View Post
I would like to keep both axles fully built under 5k

Your drunk if you think you'll build proper junkyards for under 5k. Keep in my I said proper
post #11 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLarry View Post
Your drunk if you think you'll build proper junkyards for under 5k. Keep in my I said proper
I agree $5k seems extremely tight. Gonna blow $3500-$4000 on wheels and tires alone (unless you go cheap on this portion, which would bring the question why do it in the first place?). Another $1000 on truss kits. Rear tone ring kit $75 then get the 14b hubs turned down to press on the rings. If you want your ABS, cruise control, and dash to not be a Christmas tree, figure in $380 for the Currie unit bearings for the front (although not needed to make the jeep run, 07's don't need the sensors at all for it to drive, and only the rears for the speedo to work.) Add gears, master install kits, lockers, adapter u joints, new SD ball joints, front lockouts etc., you're well over $5k.

I'd do some more research and start compiling an actual build list of all parts needed to give yourself a better idea of what it will cost. Unfortunately, its definitely a gotta pay to play project. Good news is, there are plenty of swapped jk's now so it shouldn't be difficult to find the information you need.

Chase Weston
post #12 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

What @KnightJK has asked in detail is the dialogue my question aimed to instigate / set-into motion in your brain , OP...& , I'm pretty sure that could go for thedirtman's lead in questions ,also ...

Experience shows us that setting a predefined budget is advisable however what is involved w / " setting-up the axles myself.." together with all costs & effort & considerations usually become significantly different than the original budget covered. Thinking things out down to the last diffcover bolt is important.

Get your spreadsheet open to begin itemizing it all ...

Matt1114 likes this.

post #13 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:

What @KnightJK has asked in detail is the dialogue my question aimed to instigate / set-into motion in your brain , OP...& , I'm pretty sure that could go for thedirtman's lead in questions ,also ...

Experience shows us that setting a predefined budget is advisable however what is involved w / " setting-up the axles myself.." together with all costs & effort & considerations usually become significantly different than the original budget covered. Thinking things out down to the last diffcover bolt is important.

Get your spreadsheet open to begin itemizing it all ...

Thank you for that. When I said the 5k that was strictly for the purchase of the axles, shafts, u-joints, truss kit, gears and lockers, knowing I will need more money to have fully functional install able. I was not including wheels and tires.

Matt
post #14 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

When I possed the question I was looking for more info on what you have done, what axles are you running, what would you do differently?

Matt
post #15 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 12:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Im shocked to hear you can get 05+ SDs for that price.

I think 5K is going to be tight. You will be ~3K in the hole for just gears and lockers. There is going to be quite a bit of labor involved. You have to "shave" quite a bit of the driver's side of the housing up front. You can buy bracket kits from someone like Artec unless your welding buddy is also a master fabricator and is going to make everything from scratch for you.

You dont need Currie unit bearings. The Ford tone rings will work with Dodge sensors if I remember right.

On the rear 14 bolt, you will have to get matching tone rings pressed on and then have some trial and error with getting the sensor at the right gap. Then probably get spacers to convert the 8x6.5 to 8x170 to match the front pattern.
Matt1114 likes this.

post #16 of 22 Old 04-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1114 View Post
When I possed the question I was looking for more info on what you have done, what axles are you running, what would you do differently?

I am running a '90 Kingpin D60 up front with the truss from an Artec jk 1 ton swap kit, Reid knuckles and bronze KP bushings, Artec high steer arms in double shear, stock 35 spline inner shafts, ECGS 35 spline outers, ECGS flanges, spartan locker, 5.38s.

In the rear I am running an '03 ribbed 14B with factory disc brakes, stock shafts, stock hubs, 5.38s, full spool, Artec full 14B truss, Artec ABS sensor kit that comes with the rings that need to be pressed on and the brackets to space the sensors correctly. Just installed the Motobilt 13B shave cover but have not run the jeep with it yet.

Things I would do differently are as follows:

1. Go straight to 35 spline outers instead of popping two sets of 30 spline stub shafts and taking out the warn lockouts with them before I got the ECGS 35 spline stubs and drive flanges package.
2. Ditch the full spool and get a detroit or selectable. (I don't have my stock 14B carrier so I have to source one before I can change this and ultimately run cutting brakes.) The spool is pure beef and I have no worries about it, however, it really really really wants to just push the jeep in a straight line, tight trails and sharp turns are a pain when the spool just wants to shove you through shit.
3. Shave the 14B sooner than I did. Its a boat anchor and I drug it along with me over rocks for far too long.

Just provoking thought, why do you want an 05+ SD60 versus a kingpin?
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Chase Weston
post #17 of 22 Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

A very important question was asked but remains unanswered unless I missed it ; @thedirtman asked 2 questions , the 2nd being ," ....what do you plan on doing with it?" .

Footage picts or details on OPs off-road experiences up to now will make what others recommend potentially different.

So I actually answer the question; I still have my D30 & wheel regularly w/ TJs ,JKs ,truggys, custom builds on 37 to 42 inch tires . It is as maxed-out as much as one can be which got like that over 7-8 seasons of regular trailuse & replacements.
Cryoed & shotpeaned Yukon r&ps , xfer case reinforced , full Artec armor , redundant gussets , rcvs ...about the only bit not upgraded on it is the knuckles .
I don't worry much but admit I cannot hit obstacles w/ the abandon some of my friends w/ 40" comp Treps on UD60s or Fusion4x4 D60s do. I have to pick smart lines. Overall I am very pleased w/ my D30 & would do this again.. but nobody else is gonna declare they're pleased with a D30 , I don't think . In fact ,I am sure to receive at least a bit of fallout ,if not a full-on , from this reply. I am not recommending OP go this route but ....
I just think the little Dana housing gets a bum rap.

(edited: if we know the context of the Jeep's proposed usage & level of experience , it can make much better reply data for OP.

IOWs- if he wheels moderate trails maybe a dozen times annually to get outdoors & acquire skills , that's very different from ,like, a 24 x per year group rides , hitting blue to black trails w/ vigor and carrying the weight of half of the recovery section products in the Quadratec catalog in/on the Jeep( heavy). )

Matt1114 likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-04-2019 at 05:16 AM.
post #18 of 22 Old 04-04-2019, 04:58 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
But nobody else is gonna declare they're pleased with a D30 , I don't think . In fact ,I am sure to receive at least a bit of fallout ,if not a full-on , from this reply.
If it works and you could/can afford if, you did it right.

But yeah I think the OP has a little different budget/timeline/confidence in mind for for his rig.

•|||||||• 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
Auto / 4.56 Gears / ARB Front, Auburn Ected Rear Locker & LSD / G2 Core 44 35 Spline Axles / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 37" KM3s on Method 105 Beadlocks
post #19 of 22 Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightJK View Post

Just provoking thought, why do you want an 05+ SD60 versus a kingpin?
35 spline everything
1550 u joints loaded into axles for $180 per side
turning radius
aftermarket support
I just picked one up for $350 delivered.
Matt1114 likes this.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #20 of 22 Old 04-04-2019, 11:31 AM
Wheeler

@Matt1114 If you keep the stock everything on the axles you could maybe get there for $3000 after you buy the axles. That is keeping the JK master cyl, and all the junkyard brakes, gears, seals, diff cover, steering, yokes, ball joints, and bearings. Then you still need driveshafts. You can get a 4.30 Ford from a Harley Davidson edition but not in a 14B so 4.10 would be as low as it could go for a junkyard match up without cracking into them.

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
post #21 of 22 Old 04-04-2019, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just provoking thought, why do you want an 05+ SD60 versus a kingpin?[/QUOTE]

So the 05+ is a direct plug and play with the Jeep OEM sensors as well as the 04 14b rear axle. I am going to have to get spacers to make my tires on the same line as the front and so the lug patterns match the front... I am very curious if anyone has went with something completely out of the ordinary with their axles and got rid of the sensors all together. Which would also eliminate your abs... I know that gears and lockers are going to be expensive, but I can get a full 14b for $150 and the D60 for 350... I want get the axle housings for as little as possible so I can spend bigger money on the internals.

Matt
post #22 of 22 Old 04-04-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Im shocked to hear you can get 05+ SDs for that price.

I think 5K is going to be tight. You will be ~3K in the hole for just gears and lockers. There is going to be quite a bit of labor involved. You have to "shave" quite a bit of the driver's side of the housing up front. You can buy bracket kits from someone like Artec unless your welding buddy is also a master fabricator and is going to make everything from scratch for you.

You dont need Currie unit bearings. The Ford tone rings will work with Dodge sensors if I remember right.

On the rear 14 bolt, you will have to get matching tone rings pressed on and then have some trial and error with getting the sensor at the right gap. Then probably get spacers to convert the 8x6.5 to 8x170 to match the front pattern.
He is a fabricator but I will just buy the brackets, shave off everything and have him weld it all on. I know the 5k will be tight but I am a big bargain Hunter. I just picked up a 2015 5.7 hemi for $100 and a trans to go with it for $150... which is unheard of... I have a bit of work to do on the hemi before it's ready and I still have to build the trans... I am a Chrysler mechanic so all this work is easy for me to do.

I do not expect to do the hemi swap and axles for 5k... more like 13k-15k before wheels and tires

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode