Bad cylinder at 44,000 mi? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-29-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bad cylinder at 44,000 mi?

Hi Guys - Warranty question..... After chasing an engine light problem for a month (Cylinder 6 misfire), I just got a wonderful call from my mechanic (who I completely trust). Figures it was 4pm on a Friday afternoon......
Turns out he found low compression on that cylinder, says the repair is $4300. I have a call in to the dealer I bought it from, of course the service dept is all busy...
My Wrangler is a 2015, with 44,000 miles on it. Mopar's site mentions one powertrain warranty for 5 yrs/50,000 and another for 3 yrs/100,000, so what the heck?
Any comments or advice on how to deal with this? We simply cannot afford the repair right now and it seems awful early for something like that to happen right?
This is Jeep # 4 for me and I've always thought they were reliable as they come, so I am obviously a little blown away......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-29-2019, 08:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post
Hi Guys - Warranty question..... After chasing an engine light problem for a month (Cylinder 6 misfire), I just got a wonderful call from my mechanic (who I completely trust). Figures it was 4pm on a Friday afternoon......

Turns out he found low compression on that cylinder, says the repair is $4300. I have a call in to the dealer I bought it from, of course the service dept is all busy...

My Wrangler is a 2015, with 44,000 miles on it. Mopar's site mentions one powertrain warranty for 5 yrs/50,000 and another for 3 yrs/100,000, so what the heck?

Any comments or advice on how to deal with this? We simply cannot afford the repair right now and it seems awful early for something like that to happen right?

This is Jeep # 4 for me and I've always thought they were reliable as they come, so I am obviously a little blown away......
If Chrysler won't cover it, get yourself an engine hoist and hydraulic jack and swap out the longblock yourself:

https://www.jeepsunlimited.net/11_17...fits_2014_2017
post #3 of 11 Old 03-29-2019, 10:39 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post

I have a long block sitting in my garage right now depending on where you live at. If you wanted to go that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-30-2019, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

@CrazyJK
I fail to see the issue if you are original purchaser & warranty covers drivetrain . The limited powertrain wrrnty states cylinder blocks & internals are covered in this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-30-2019, 12:15 PM
Wheeler

Jeep is very very picky in what they warranty this is my second long block the first the dealership put a supercharger on and Jeep signed off on saying good and will be under warranty. We it blew a year later and Jeep wouldn’t honor it I put another long black in and just the lack of power was killing me so i put a 392 in it. Hence why I have one sitting around.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-31-2019, 03:36 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

If the dealer you bought it from is too busy to talk to you, take it to another dealer. Warranty work can be performed by any Chrysler dealer in North America.

On my Jeep that I bought used from one dealer that was 3 hours from home, I was chasing ABS issues and a second dealer was doing all the work. Well I moved several provinces away, and the dealer in the new province talked to the dealer that did most of the work, and continued to cover me untill most of the abs system was replaced.

So don’t feel pressured into going to a certain dealer just because you bought it there. Also powertrain is 5 year 100,000km (60,000mi)

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-31-2019, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJK View Post
Jeep is very very picky in what they warranty this is my second long block the first the dealership put a supercharger on and Jeep signed off on saying good and will be under warranty. We it blew a year later and Jeep wouldn’t honor it I put another long black in and just the lack of power was killing me so i put a 392 in it. Hence why I have one sitting around.

Now, in my world whenever I have an actual signature in writing that was signed to bind
the signed contractually to whatever that document outlines as-far-as the agreement, well; that would holdup in any court.

I'm not being smarmy when I say I'm confused if you had Fiat Chrysler sign a wrrnty agreement for a supercharger addition to thier motor that they installed for you ( never heard that done before!) , But when it blew up they told you the signed agreement was no longer legit or binding ? You are leaving details out I'm guessing.

If you have signed paper saying they installed it & approve it , what did your legal representation tell you ?

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-31-2019 at 05:04 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-31-2019, 05:22 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Now, in my world whenever I have an actual signature in writing that was signed to bind
the signed contractually to whatever that document outlines as-far-as the agreement, well; that would holdup in any court.

I'm not being smarmy when I say I'm confused if you had Fiat Chrysler sign a wrrnty agreement for a supercharger addition to thier motor that they installed for you ( never heard that done before!) , But when it blew up they told you the signed agreement was no longer legit or binding ? You are leaving details out I'm guessing.

If you have signed paper saying they installed it & approve it , what did your legal representation tell you ?

It was not a contract but what I understood at the time to be a legal document and dealership would help me if something happened. When I went to the dealership to get it diagnosed and fixed they said it was valid and would not be covered I tried for a month to figure out why. Hired a lawyer to look into it and what they told me was that the representative that signed it for Fiat did so illegally and was terminated for it. He had done this for roughly ten customers. They say it was to make sales but I believe they did not want to fix it. Not the first time fiat has screwed people.

post #9 of 11 Old 03-31-2019, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJK View Post
It was not a contract but what I understood at the time to be a legal document and dealership would help me if something happened. When I went to the dealership to get it diagnosed and fixed they said it was valid and would not be covered I tried for a month to figure out why. Hired a lawyer to look into it and what they told me was that the representative that signed it for Fiat did so illegally and was terminated for it. He had done this for roughly ten customers. They say it was to make sales but I believe they did not want to fix it. Not the first time fiat has screwed people.

Wow.
That is not the first coverage or wrrnty honoring back out I've heard of, it's the first time I've ever heard of a dealership covering & INSTALLING a poweraddon such as a supercharger to a customer - particularly a Jeep customer - before.

Sucks it was a sham. I'd imagine 10 claims that were not the customers fault were signed by a terminated Sales hungry , policy violator might addup to a significant enough amount collectively for an attorney to see a percentage as being enough to pursue action. However,bi know how that can go.

Sorry you've been thru all if this.

I just putt along in my 3.8 l & with steep gears it is more than ample on trails to crawl. If I drove it on road , it's tolerable but I don't really drive it on road much anymore ..

Jeep JKs w 3.8s always seem to windup failing after supercharging them it seems.
Also seems like the Pentastar 3.6l behaves better having SCs installed on them .

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 04-02-2019 at 04:20 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-31-2019, 09:31 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Wow.

That is not the first coverage or wrrnty honoring back out I've heard of, it's the first time I've ever heard of a dealership covering & INSTALLING a poweraddon such as a supercharger to a customer - particularly a Jeep customer - before.

Sucks it was a sham. I'd imagine 10 claims that were not the customers fault were signed by a terminated Sales hungry , policy violator might addup to a significant enough amount collectively for an attorney to see a percentage as being enough to pursue action. However,bi know how that can go.

Sorry you've been thru all if this.

I just putt along in my 3.8 l & with steep gears it is more than ample on trails to crawl. If I drove it on road , it's tolerable but why when I can just take the hemi RAM ....

Jeep JKs w 3.8s always seem to windup failing after supercharging them if seems. Some Pentastar 3.6l seem much better at having the SGs installed on them .

Yea I havnt heard of many post about them failing but mine sure as heck did. I fixed all that with the 392 now just need to upgrade some other parts and she will good to go on any trail hopefully

post #11 of 11 Old 04-02-2019, 04:21 PM

Same thing happened to me at 56,000 miles. Was covered under warranty and I didn't have to pay a penny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode