Trackbar adjustment - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Sams Misguided Child

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-11-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Trackbar adjustment

Just curious, when I measure my front axel the passenger tire is about half an inch further from the frame than the driver side and in the rear I'm about a quarter inch further from the frame on the driver side. My Jeep tracks funny at speed. My 35 inch mtrs are pretty worn so I know that could be part of the problem. Do you think those measurements are bad enough to cause problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-11-2019, 01:52 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokkenj View Post
Just curious, when I measure my front axel the passenger tire is about half an inch further from the frame than the driver side and in the rear I'm about a quarter inch further from the frame on the driver side. My Jeep tracks funny at speed. My 35 inch mtrs are pretty worn so I know that could be part of the problem. Do you think those measurements are bad enough to cause problems?
Yes, is it just the fronts that are worn and across the whole surface, on the inside of the tire, outside of the tire?

Do you have an adjustable trackbar?

Just an FYI I run my front about 1/4 to 1/2 inch to the driver side. Tired of the driveshaft hitting the transmission.
SoK66 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

There is some uneven wear from driving on worn out ball joints. I do have adjustable trackbars. Trying to get by for a little bit. I have to get wider wheels (still on stock rims with spacers) and then tires. Probably going to go with Cooper stt pros because they are a much better price and I've heard positive feedback online and from people that run them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Worn out ball joints probably more than anything did your tires in.

I have the SST Pro's and they work good. I got 4 years out of my last set of the regular STT's. They do chunk in rocks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I took it to a shop and they said nothing was wrong. I drove several thousand miles and finally just had new ball joints put in. It didn't fix all of my issues, but I noticed an immediate difference. Several thousand more miles and the tires are starting to even out a bit, but I'd guess they are all somewhere in the 20-30% tread so new tires soon
post #6 of 6 Old 03-12-2019, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dokkenj View Post
Since you have adjustable track bars by all means center your axles under the frame. Try to get them within about 1/8" side to side. Measure from the frame to the inside sidewall of the tires. Be sure not to measure tire lettering and have the tire pressures reasonably close.

FWIW, I once measured axle centering on a random sampling of stock JKs on our dealers lot. Consitently the axles were set about 1/8" further from frame centerline on the track bar mount side (I.E., on the driver side in front. passenger side rear). This makes sense as the rigs were unloaded. Add a driver and a full tank of fuel, the vehicle will squat a bit and pull the axles to the center.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode