Upgrade Ride Quality? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Schlieko
  • 2 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Upgrade Ride Quality?

I am new to Jeeps. Like many people I started my Jeep build on a budget and I purchased a 3.5" RC lift kit with their upgraded shocks, adjustable track bar and control arms. I only offroad on basic trails and rivers (no rock crawling). Of course that could change as my offroading skill level increases. I now have a little more cash and want to upgrade the overall ride quality. Is it possible to slowly upgrade the parts and integrate them into the setup I already have without purchasing everything at once. (a completly new lift kit) If so, where is a good place to start so I get the improved ride quality? Shocks and springs come to mind, but will that be okay with the the other components I have installed. Thanks a bunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Granite Guru

What do you not like about the ride?? What all was installed in your lift? Did you get aftermarket drive shafts? Control arms? Upgraded shocks alone will improve your ride quality, such as bilstein or the crazy expensive fox or king shocks. That's a lot of lift... I would be saving for high quality ball joints and other wear items which I imagine will start having issues soon? I'm not a pro. Just trying to convince myself im rational.
post #3 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I have read some about ball joints and other suspension items becoming an issue anytime you lift a jeep that much so I am sure those are in my future. My jeep takes realtively small bumps and makes them seem pretty large. It is just a very stiff handling/ride and at times even a pothole makes the jeep jump all over the road. It's not a death wobble, its just not very forgiving at all. I assume that is due to stiff shocks and springs. I have been in several other jeeps with more expensive/agrresive lifts that actually ride much better then mine. It is okay to replace the springs and still utilize the RC control arms until i save up for a little higher quality items? If so, are there any spring brands you would recommend for better handling/ride quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. The lift contained springs, shocks, Front lower control arms, front adjustable track bar. I am running stock drive shafts. I have read some about ball joints and other suspension items becoming an issue anytime you lift a jeep that much so I am sure those are in my future. My jeep takes realtively small bumps and makes them seem pretty large. It is just a very stiff handling/ride and at times even a pothole makes the jeep jump all over the road. It's not a death wobble, its just not very forgiving at all. I assume that is due to stiff shocks and springs. I have been in several other jeeps with more expensive/agrresive lifts that actually ride much better then mine. It is okay to replace the springs and still utilize the RC control arms until i save up for a little higher quality items? If so, are there any spring brands you would recommend for better handling/ride quality?
post #5 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 12:00 PM
Granite Guru

Again, I would get better shocks first unless you are reading a decrease in ride height which indicates sag. If it was me I'd just run the springs until they sagged and then add a 1"spacer or replace. For the second time; higher quality shocks will increase your ride quality.

You may also want to look at a bigger trackbar if you haven't gotten one and a steering stabilizer. Stock trackbar is weak and a bigger beefier adjustable track bar will increase handling and take the potholes better.
post #6 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Granite Guru

"Shocks" is a shortened form of the description "shock absorbers"
post #7 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 12:03 PM
Granite Guru

Sorry re read your post. The new adjustable trackbar should be a good deal bigger (diameter) than the stock.one if so, it's good enough. Your driveshafts are not happy. Check to see if the front driveshaft boot is burned through by the exhaust
post #8 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Rock God

One option for shocks is the Teraflex Falcons. They are less expensive than Kings or Fox, and they are adjustable. I had Bilsteins and was not a fan. A good, comfortable ride is always nice, I have the 3.1s and am super satisfied.
post #9 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 01:50 PM
Granite Guru

I liked my bilsteins in my modded liberty, but I haven't been on them in a jk
post #10 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 03:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'd recommend two things for your ride:

1 - try a set of front control arm frame-side drop brackets. Several companies make them now and should be under $100; I had the AEV set and they worked very well. Your adjustable control arms help a lot with correcting caster, but the drop brackets can also help restore the flatter arm geometry at the new ride height. When you hit bumps, the flatter arm geomerty will minimize the impact force going backward into your arm bushings and frame, and get as much of that force into your springs as possible (where it belongs). That will basically give you less harshness over bumps. They'll help in other ways, like minimizing axle steer, but that's been a more subtle improvement in my experience. You could add the drop brackets separately from any other mod.

Metalcloak makes a set of rear control arm drop brackets but they seem to take away a lot of clearance (MC recommends at least 4.5" lift and 37's probably because of the clearance loss). I haven't used them but wanted to mention them as they will also improve handling.

2 - recommend raising your track bars (on the axle side) and getting a drag link flip installed. Again several companies make easy-to-install bolt-on brackets for the track bars. The DL flip will require a new dl and reaming out your passenger knuckle hole for the DL rod end but it's all very much worth it. Only lift your front TB by 3" because the DL will raise by 3" and you need to keep the front TB and DL parallel (lines drawn between the joint ends of each link must be parallel to avoid bump steer). If you have a Pitman arm drop installed, remove it and go back to stock Pitman arm. Likewise for TB - if you have a frame-side TB drop bracket (front or rear), remove them.

The rear TB is only limited by your up-travel clearance so see if you can get 4 or more inches of lift. The raised TBs will further improve handling by raising your roll center, getting it closer to the jeep's center of gravity which will help it corner flatter and reduce the "tail wag" you may feel when hitting a bump with say one front tire.

You would want to do both front and rear track bars at the same time, but definitely want to do the front TB and DL flip together.

Good luck!

Last edited by rockystock; 02-28-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #11 of 13 Old 02-23-2019, 04:31 PM
Wheeler

May be just me, but remember installing my Currie Antirock and saying wow. Increasing caster was another biggie for me. If Jeep is feeling like a bobblehead at times, would check hubs and bearings. Have said it before on this forum... every time my Jeep is on a lift, I have them check for ANY play in the front wheels. For big jeeps, big lifts, big tires, even a little play can be white knuckle at higher speeds.
UnchainedJKU likes this.
post #12 of 13 Old 02-24-2019, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

The first thing I would look at is your tires and the PSI you are running. Many people new to jeeping run too heavy a tire (E rated) and run too much pressure. The second thing would be your roll center. Rough country uses drop brackets and a drop pitman arm. This lowers your roll center and makes the jeep more top heavy with more body lean. At 3.5" of lift you should be looking at some real caster correction and maybe look into a high steer kit to reduce bump steer. I don't care for the RC shocks and coils as they feel to be too soft a ride for me but you should look at these other things before spending money on high $$ shocks as the geometry of the RC3.5 kit is so poor. Swapping out shocks wont fix these other issues.
rockystock and UnchainedJKU like this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 13 Old 02-27-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I apperciate it. I did not install the drop pitman arm, but will look into your sugeestions first!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode