Warn VR8-S or Superwinch Tigershark TS9500 SR - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gt1guy
  • 1 Post By BigTB
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
BigTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW OH
Posts: 1,097
Feedback: 0 reviews
Warn VR8-S or Superwinch Tigershark TS9500 SR

Considering getting a winch for my Jeep. Normally I'd waffle a bit and then just spend too much on something high end. But I can't help but face the fact that I'll probably never even need the winch, so I'm currently looking at more budget-friendly options.

The Superwinch seems fine and it is currently available for a good bit less money than the Warn. But I have a Superwinch brand winch on a hoist in my work truck, and while it is obviously a totally different animal, the control box and remote look virtually identical to what's on the Tigershark. The ones on my hoist strike me as cheap garbage (the terminals and wires pulled out of the connectors of the control box after very little use on both mine and a coworker's, plus the wire is so stiff that just the tension on the connector from the wire bending slightly will tweak the connector enough that the hoist stops working and you have to mess with the connector to get it working again). I don't know that the setup is better on the Warn, but I'd at least strongly consider the difference in price to get the better connector and remote. It's also possible that the design appearance is similar, but the quality is better on the Tigershark than it is on my hoist winch.

Any thoughts or opinions? Of course both manufacturers promotional material tend to imply that their winch is the pinnacle of budget winches. My main off-roading buddy has an older Smittybilt and it has worked well for him. However, it seems like the majority of the poor reviews I see for the Smittybilt winches are for the newest models, so I fear the quality has gone down, plus the price difference is very small compared to the current price of the Tigershark.

Last edited by BigTB; 02-19-2019 at 07:06 AM.
BigTB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 04:33 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Considering getting a winch for my Jeep. Normally I'd waffle a bit and then just spend too much on something high end. But I can't help but face the fact that I'll probably never even need the winch, so I'm currently looking at more budget-friendly options.

The Superwinch seems fine and it is currently available for a good bit less money than the Warn. But I have a Superwinch brand winch on a hoist in my work truck, and while it is obviously a totally different animal, the control box and remote look virtually identical to what's on the Tigershark. The ones on my hoist strike me as cheap garbage (the terminals and wires pulled out of the connectors of the control box after very little use on both mine and a coworker's, plus the wire is so stiff that just the tension on the connector from the wire bending slightly will tweak the connector enough that the hoist stops working and you have to mess with the connector to get it working again). I don't know that the setup is better on the Warn, but I'd at least strongly consider the difference in price to get the better connector and remote. It's also possible that the design appearance is similar, but the quality is better on the Tigershark than it is on my hoist winch.

Any thoughts or opinions? Of course both manufacturers promotional material tend to imply that their winch is the pinnacle of budget winches. My main off-roading buddy has an older Smittybilt and it has worked well for him. However, it seems like the majority of the poor reviews I see for the Smittybilt winches are for the newest models, so I fear the quality has gone down, plus the price difference is very small compared to the current price of the Tigershark.
https://www.motoalliance.com/recovery-winch-12000lb



Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dutch577 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
BigTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW OH
Posts: 1,097
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch577 View Post
https://www.motoalliance.com/recovery-winch-12000lb



Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Have you used one? Are they good? Is the company responsive, is the support good?
BigTB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Have you used one? Are they good? Is the company responsive, is the support good?
I've used the smaller ones on UTVs and ATVs with a great amount of success. Was the first to use one of their plows on a UTV, didn't like the mount, and so they changed it and sent me another at no charge. Come to think of it, I totally wrecked a switch and they sent me a new one.

I love this company and they get great reviews. They do a great job taking care of people. I haven't gotten to needing a winch yet but will use them when I do. I can't imagine a better value.

Good luck with your choice. I think there are a lot of good products out there at a lot of different price points.



Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dutch577 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 08:00 PM
Granite Guru
 
Mason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Warkworth, On
Age: 28
Posts: 360
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Some items you can get away with cheating out on. Winches and recovery equipment are not among those items. I maintain that if itís not a Warn, itís not a winch. It is actually a boat anchor. On my Jeep I got a Warn Zeon Platinum 12 when they first came out. I havenít used it very often, but I know that I can trust it to work no matter what. I also have a Warn VR 12 gen 2 on my car trailer in case I need to drag anything dead onto it.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mason is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 02-19-2019, 09:29 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Troy and Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 201
Feedback: 1 reviews

I'm a bit confused by MotoAlliance's website. Is it a lifetime warranty or a one year warranty?

Backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty and toll-free customer service line, this metal bodied winch has a standard mounting bolt pattern of 10″ x 4.5″.


Features:
- Integrated Contactor/Solenoid
- Wireless and Cabled Remotes
- Mounting Bolt Pattern - 10.0″ x 4.5″ (254mm x 114.3mm)
- Limited Lifetime Warranty

MotoAlliance warrants to the original purchaser that VIPER Max 13,000 winch (a) mechanical components will be free of defects in material and workmanship, and (b) electrical components will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from purchase.
SpartanToJo is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
BigTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW OH
Posts: 1,097
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanToJo View Post
I'm a bit confused by MotoAlliance's website. Is it a lifetime warranty or a one year warranty?

Backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty and toll-free customer service line, this metal bodied winch has a standard mounting bolt pattern of 10″ x 4.5″.


Features:
- Integrated Contactor/Solenoid
- Wireless and Cabled Remotes
- Mounting Bolt Pattern - 10.0″ x 4.5″ (254mm x 114.3mm)
- Limited Lifetime Warranty

MotoAlliance warrants to the original purchaser that VIPER Max 13,000 winch (a) mechanical components will be free of defects in material and workmanship, and (b) electrical components will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from purchase.
"Limited" Lifetime Warranty. Lifetime on the mechanical components, one year on the electrical components.
BigTB is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
 
j3ff3ry_j33p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Nashville
Posts: 5,705
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews



- note: quick mention that the topic & useful info already contained in this thread
seem to me to be a better match for the JK General Discussion or even the Modifiedthread , maybe.
I actually was surprised that we have no dedicated " Recovery , Winch and accessories" section . I won't move unless OP agrees but this is more pertinent than mere chitchat , imho...




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
j3ff3ry_j33p is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!
 
gt1guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New Iberia, La.
Posts: 3,745
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post


- note: quick mention that the topic & useful info already contained in this thread
seem to me to be a better match for the JK General Discussion or even the Modifiedthread , maybe.
I actually was surprised that we have no dedicated " Recovery , Winch and accessories" section . I won't move unless OP agrees but this is more pertinent than mere chitchat , imho...




Good call Boss. Nobody will ever find it again here.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Kevin
gt1guy is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanToJo View Post
I'm a bit confused by MotoAlliance's website. Is it a lifetime warranty or a one year warranty?



Backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty and toll-free customer service line, this metal bodied winch has a standard mounting bolt pattern of 10″ x 4.5″.





Features:

- Integrated Contactor/Solenoid

- Wireless and Cabled Remotes

- Mounting Bolt Pattern - 10.0″ x 4.5″ (254mm x 114.3mm)

- Limited Lifetime Warranty



MotoAlliance warrants to the original purchaser that VIPER Max 13,000 winch (a) mechanical components will be free of defects in material and workmanship, and (b) electrical components will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from purchase.
I emailed them and they are cleaning it up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dutch577 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
BigTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW OH
Posts: 1,097
Feedback: 0 reviews

I have no problem with the thread being moved. I almost posted in another section as it was.

Those Viper winches from MotoAlliance are definitely inexpensive. Could take a chance and save a few bucks going that route.
BigTB is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
BigTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW OH
Posts: 1,097
Feedback: 0 reviews

I'm almost tempted to test out one of those Viper winches to see if they are any good. For science purposes like. The Viper Midnight is 8,500 Lb. rated and is $250 with a steel cable or $350 with a synthetic rope.

Otherwise I'm leaning towards the Superwinch Tiger Shark. It has pretty good reviews and seems like a good bet for the price. It's available under $500. The Warn VR8-S is close to $700 most places.
BigTB is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 02-20-2019, 05:28 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
Feedback: 0 reviews

I don't know when I'm going to get a winch for my jeep but I started with a viper elite for my rzr in 2013 and really liked it and had one on my sportsman atv before that.

It is all I've ever owned and it had a lot to do with price in the beginning. I am pretty sure brands like warn and superwinch don't stick around and become well known by making terrible products.

I just threw it out there because I want to see one on a jeep and if they are good on vehicles as they've been on ATVs and UTVs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dutch577 is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 AM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Age: 29
Posts: 71
Feedback: 0 reviews

My superwinch is awesome. Had it for 4 years now, have pulled out multiple chevy 1500s, Toyota 4 runners, dodge 2500 cummings, and myself tons of times. Only complaint I have is the plastic piece that goes over control module snapped off in freezing cold weather (Not really a complaint I'm just being sassy)
MichaelGulland is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 02-21-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Rock God
 
BigTB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: NW OH
Posts: 1,097
Feedback: 0 reviews

Ok, so I caved and ordered the Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500 SR. I say caved, because I wasn't even sure I was going to order a winch at all. I went with the Superwinch over the Warn because it was almost $200 less expensive. I went with it over cheaper alternatives because they specifically say that the synthetic rope version has a different brake, designed specially to work with synthetic ropes (others at best mention a heat wrap to help protect the rope from the heat of the brake). It is also supposedly one of the easiest free-spooling winches out there, has mostly positive reviews, and most reports of customer service are positive.

But here's the thing. The Viper Midnight 8500 lb winch from MotoAlliance is only $350 with a synthetic rope, and $250 with a steel cable. That is quite a bit less than even the Smittybilt's and Rugged Ridge's of the world. It's even a bit less expensive than the Badland winch from Harbor Freight. If they are any good they could represent a pretty killer value.

So here's what I'm thinking. If people are interested I'll order one for testing and review. Don't know how I'll determine if people are interested, but who knows. If I do order one I'll do my best to do a thorough testing. As "real world" of use as possible, plus I'll see if I can rig something up to test the actual pulling power. And of course I'll just go over it and give my impressions of the overall quality, build, fit and finish.

So, I guess if people think that would be useful to the community, let me know. Not that I doubt it would be useful to someone, but I don't see a lot of winch talk on here, and maybe most people figure go Warn or don't go home. But hey, maybe there's plenty of interest in an inexpensive winch. I just don't want to drop the cash and put in the effort and time if nobody would really be interested. So, who would be interested in testing and review of the Viper winch from a random guy on the internet with no loyalties, allegiances or whatever to any company?
Dutch577 likes this.
BigTB is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 02-21-2019, 03:07 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 38
Feedback: 0 reviews

That would be cool. I wouldn't know how to review anything.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Dutch577 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I have got a warn VR8 and need a cover to put on it dose anyone know of one that fits [email protected] JK General Discussion 10 10-25-2018 10:19 AM
New in box Superwinch 12.5i SR BADGER USA - Colorado 0 06-03-2014 06:44 AM
FS: Rigid SR 10" Light Bar and BDF JK SR Hood Mount banx For Sale - Jeep parts 6 05-07-2013 02:19 PM
superwinch 12.5 sr wkyjku JK General Discussion 12 05-24-2012 06:19 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome