Metalcloak 3.5 gamechanger - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage
Metalcloak 3.5 gamechanger

Hello everyone. I just purchased my first Jeep and I'm really excited to wrench and work on her. It's a 2013 Rubicon 10th Anniversary Edition JKU. She came with M/K wheels with 35" Nittos. Fox 2.0's installed as well but the previous owner put a body lift on it. The big issue right now is all of the float in the steering wheel! It's alot... and that's an understatement really.

I'm pretty sure that I've landed on the Metalcloak game changer 3.5 lift. While I'm down there, what other things should I go ahead and upgrade? I'm thinking brakes and maybe the MC steering upgrade too.

While I will be wheeling in the Jeep... it's mainly going to be used to explore and overland with my family. It will see alot of road time because I'll be traveling with my family 400 plus miles each way to get up in the mountains when we plan trips. We'll also use the Jeep to go back and forth to the beach on those beautiful spring and summer days.

Please give me your suggestions on other things to do, while no going overboard lol, that should be done at the same time as the game changer lift. I plan on just running he 35's... for a good while anyways. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 06:05 AM
Granite Guru

Nothing wrong with a 1" body lift to fit tires with less suspension lift, just doesn't provide the additional breakover angle but allows for a lower COG and more suspension travel.

Is there any suspension lift currently on it? What's the backspacing on the wheels?

||||||| 2015 Unlimited Sport S Baja Yellow
Auto / 4.56 Gears / ARB Front, Auburn Ected Rear Locker & LSD / G2 Core 44 35 Spline Axles / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 37" KM3s on Method 105 Beadlocks
post #3 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 AM
Granite Guru

Sounds like you may have a lift already but with poor caster.

Any pics of the suspension would help
larry0071 likes this.

Auto / 4.56 Gears / ARB Front, Auburn Ected Rear Locker & LSD / G2 Core 44 35 Spline Axles / Alpine 9-Speakers & Sub / MC 3.5" w 6pak shocks / 37" KM3s on Method 105 Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 06:26 AM
Granite Guru

The metalcloak steering system is a good upgrade as tie rod and drag link ends often go bad in my experience. Brakes a good idea too if you get that Rubicon into 4 low.

With all the travel on metalcloak lifts you will likely need a driveshaft eventually too. And exhaust spacers or a y pipe if you don't do the driveshaft.

post #5 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Since I'm a new member, it won't allow me to attach photos to a post yet. I uploaded photos in My Garage. Please take a look there and give me your feedback. If I need to take more photos because I didn't capture what is needed, then let me know that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown35 View Post
The metalcloak steering system is a good upgrade as tie rod and drag link ends often go bad in my experience. Brakes a good idea too if you get that Rubicon into 4 low.

With all the travel on metalcloak lifts you will likely need a driveshaft eventually too. And exhaust spacers or a y pipe if you don't do the driveshaft.
Do you feel like the driveshaft is a necessity or is the exhaust spacer a good alternative? Thanks again for everyone's help.
post #6 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

The wheels are 305... 33.8" and the MT rims are 17" with 5" of backspace.
post #7 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Granite Guru

Yeah you definitely have springs on there that aren't stock.

I couldn't see if you had stock control arms or not. Pictures of those would help, as well as if they are adjustable.

As for the exhaust spacers, lots of people use them but I personally hate them. A pain to install especially to get right. And then they still might cause your exhaust crossover to hit the skid plate.

I'd rather kill two birds with one stone and do the driveshaft. Personally I like the tatton rzeppa shaft with a teraflex high angle joint, lets you run how much caster you want without driveline vibrations.

Other option for not much cheaper is a relocated y pipe

post #8 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Ok, I added photos to an album and took a couple photos of the control arms here https://www.jkowners.com/forum/membe...-feb-2019.html
post #9 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 12:42 PM
Rock God

those are not stock lower control arms. there are a few companies that make longer fixed control arms. those could be synergy. has rear trackbar bracket and good shocks.
post #10 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
those are not stock lower control arms. there are a few companies that make longer fixed control arms. those could be synergy. has rear trackbar bracket and good shocks.
Okay, that's interesting.

What about all of the float in the steering? Should I look at just doing a steering upgrade then? Anything else to consider to improve the ride/steering? Thanks.
post #11 of 51 Old 02-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Rock God

first thing i would do is take a torque wrench and make sure the track bar bolts are all 125 ft/lbs and the same with the control arms. It is amazing sometimes that is all that is wrong. you should put it on an alignment rack and see what your caster and toe in are. also check your ball joints to make sure they are not worn. but first thing is free and that is check your torq specs.
chitown35 likes this.
post #12 of 51 Old 02-17-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks for the suggestions Jadmt. I've got a floor jack ordered and should be in sometime this coming up week. In the meantime, I'm fairly confident I've pin pointed which lift is on the Rubicon. It looks like it's a rough country lift with some control arms and the steering stabalizer relocation bracket. Maybe some other things too, but I guess I'll get a better idea once I can lift her up and get underneath to see.

Any thoughts on this lift, especially the springs? Worth building up around or not?
post #13 of 51 Old 02-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Rock God

I would not build around rough country coils.
post #14 of 51 Old 02-17-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadmt View Post
I would not build around rough country coils.
You suggest ditch the coils, upgrade to MC coils, but keep the RC control arms etc? Or just take all the RC stuff off and replace with MC or something comparable?
post #15 of 51 Old 02-17-2019, 07:27 PM
Granite Guru

Get rid of all the RC crap

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #16 of 51 Old 02-18-2019, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Blaydes View Post
Since I'm a new member, it won't allow me to attach photos to a post yet. I uploaded photos in My Garage. Please take a look there and give me your feedback. If I need to take more photos because I didn't capture what is needed, then let me know that too.

Do you feel like the driveshaft is a necessity or is the exhaust spacer a good alternative? Thanks again for everyone's help.

You maybe have figured this out by now but just so you know ,
10 posts qualify and permit a new user to post images within comments on threads. Most of us use an image hosting site that allows storage elsewhere since JKO free accts don't allocate much storage space for images. Imgur.com is a good one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 51 Old 02-18-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

You maybe have figured this out by now but just so you know ,
10 posts qualify and permit a new user to post images within comments on threads. Most of us use an image hosting site that allows storage elsewhere since JKO free accts don't allocate much storage space for images. Imgur.com is a good one.

I didn't know that, so thank you for that info!
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #18 of 51 Old 02-18-2019, 05:46 PM
Granite Guru

As far as the steering, I went from a 4.5" BDS lift (crap, sagged about 2") to a 4.5" Metalcloak. Night and day difference. Really makes the steering and handling solid and predictable but plush compared to any of my past three Jeeps.

I wonder what your front castor angle is? Should be around 4.5 degrees, any less makes it twitchy.

Sean
post #19 of 51 Old 02-18-2019, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Well, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the MC 3.5 game changer today. I went ahead and bought the front driveshaft and the hd steering kit as well. Outside of MC, I bought the Teraflex big brake kit w/ slotted rotors.

I'm thinking I might want to go ahead and upgrade my ball joints while I'm down there. Any suggestions for one brand over another?

Thanks guys. Also, I'll post photos as I get going on all of this. It sounds like it's gonna take a few weeks for it all to come in.
Jadmt likes this.
post #20 of 51 Old 02-18-2019, 07:34 PM
Rock God

FWIW

I run the MC 3.5 game changer.

I did not mess with my exhaust. I did install an after market drive shaft up front, and Ive had zero problems with anything touching the pipe.

I went with Adams but there are other good shafts available.

This option was a no brainer for me, I wanted the upgrade and it made messing with the exhaust unnecessary.
post #21 of 51 Old 02-19-2019, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

If OP does decide on a driveshaft upgrade,
Tom Wood's has proven himself recently
to the industry by his handling of a certain social-media
scenario ; Adams makes great driveshafts , as @Pmedic920
says but do does Tom Wood's . Make a call to them if you shop
dual cardan driveshafts ...I run em on both front/rear and recommend them in 1310 or 1350. A call to them is always an education,too....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 51 Old 02-20-2019, 06:51 AM
Rock God

Metalcloak 3.5 gamechanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

If OP does decide on a driveshaft upgrade,

Tom Wood's has proven himself recently

to the industry by his handling of a certain social-media

scenario ; Adams makes great driveshafts , as @Pmedic920

says but do does Tom Wood's . Make a call to them if you shop

dual cardan driveshafts ...I run em on both front/rear and recommend them in 1310 or 1350. A call to them is always an education,too....

Funny you mentioned this, I almost did.
I posted my opinion of Woods in that thread.
That thread is full of smiles.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Last edited by Pmedic920; 02-20-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #23 of 51 Old 02-22-2019, 09:57 AM
Wheeler

I'm running a 3.5 Metalcloak game changer with 6 pack shocks. I'd say make sure to get a good steering stabilizer (not rocksport), do your gearing and definitely upgrade your brakes. First 2 pics are with 35's on 15's and the second 2 are with the newly installed 37's on 17's.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #24 of 51 Old 02-22-2019, 09:59 AM
Wheeler

Also look to get a high tuck exhaust when doing this lift. AFE and Pypes are both good affordable options. I have AFE and I love it.

post #25 of 51 Old 02-22-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartancrating1 View Post
I'm running a 3.5 Metalcloak game changer with 6 pack shocks. I'd say make sure to get a good steering stabilizer (not rocksport), do your gearing and definitely upgrade your brakes. First 2 pics are with 35's on 15's and the second 2 are with the newly installed 37's on 17's.

Nice rig... it looks amazing! I ordered the HD Steering kit from MC as well, which includes the steering stabilizer. I'll look into that exhaust when I'm ready to do that upgrade.

Thanks again everyone for your input and help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode