What are your plans once your engine/tranny go boom? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 Old 02-02-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

What are your plans once your engine/tranny go boom?

With our jeeps aging and value dropping, just curious what some of you guys are planning. Iíve had some money set back for when the 3.8 gives up the ghost, but she just keeps chugging on. Couple that with the fact i saw a similarly built jku the other day listed for 18k at a dealership...got me thinking...do i dump LS money into this thing? LS/60s are worth more than my entire jeep lol.

Also, Iím talking a 6.0 pullout and doing the job myself, not a 20k+ LS3 crate.

Thoughts/opinions/bacon?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 02-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Wheeler

Iím goin LS if I donít go Gladiator w/3.6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 69 Old 02-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Rock God

Whatever the installed power option, I most definitely plan to rid myself of the OEM electrical system and wire it up old school simple stupid.
That doesn't mean I'll be stupid about it, tho', just that I won't have a single computer tellin' anything what to do, short of the fuel injection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 Old 02-02-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfred View Post
Whatever the installed power option, I most definitely plan to rid myself of the OEM electrical system and wire it up old school simple stupid.
That doesn't mean I'll be stupid about it, tho', just that I won't have a single computer tellin' anything what to do, short of the fuel injection.
Will you be able to keep your HVAC? Thereís a thread about this and no one seemed to have a solution that didnít keep ya from hours upon hours of troubleshooting...basically making the retarded expensive kits almost kinda worth it for the lessened headache alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #5 of 69 Old 02-02-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2qik2see View Post
I’m goin LS if I don’t go Gladiator w/3.6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I should’ve regeared years ago, that’s my fault...just kept putting this project off. But last time i tried to pass 2 cars at once on my way to work i promised myself no more 6 cylinders lol.

To be honest, if the tuning was solid i could probably get down with a blown 3.6. But then I’d hafta trade this silver hunk of love that has been the most dependable vehicle I’ve ever owned...just also has been the slowest
2qik2see likes this.

2010 Silver JKU

Last edited by jvandy50; 02-04-2019 at 08:33 PM.
post #6 of 69 Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Will you be able to keep your HVAC? There’s a thread about this and no one seemed to have a solution that didn’t keep ya from hours upon hours of troubleshooting...basically making the retarded expensive kits almost kinda worth it for the lessened headache alone.
Anything electrical can be switched either directly or through relays/solenoids...and I have no issue using hard cables to operate vent doors. It's how it was done before the great information age fell upon us.
It's also possible to set up a keyless vehicle using a set sequence of switching (fuel, ignition, main, pre-oiler, start, etc.) whose relays must be energized in a particular order with some having a predetermined threshold to be met. Do it wrong and the vehicle goes dead.
With a softop or bikini, I don't bother locking doors. I would keep a key, but that would be for the glovebox, console and, occasionally, the tailgate. (Not saying I would keep the OEM locking mechanisms.) I would also add a hood lock.

In answer to your "What...?", I'd prolly start with a rotor-style supercharger with a custom, low-mounted hood snorkel. Think "raised" shaker hood. If the stock motors goes boom, I'd still go with this idea and look at the powertrain options.
jvandy50 likes this.

Last edited by funfred; 02-02-2019 at 07:57 PM.
post #7 of 69 Old 02-03-2019, 04:22 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Will you be able to keep your HVAC?
We did. Just kept the lil' fact'ry panel and the cables that control the shit. Then added a separate electrical switch to turn on the A/C. Fact'ry HVAC is one of the best components on a JK in my opinion ... and 'bout the only component worth keepin'.

I do not believe there's any future trying to maintain the fucked up fact'ry electrical system.
jvandy50 likes this.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #8 of 69 Old 02-03-2019, 05:14 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOWBOY View Post
We did. Just kept the lil' fact'ry panel and the cables that control the shit. Then added a separate electrical switch to turn on the A/C. Fact'ry HVAC is one of the best components on a JK in my opinion ... and 'bout the only component worth keepin'.

I do not believe there's any future trying to maintain the fucked up fact'ry electrical system.
What exactly is required as far as control boxes? Did you keep any of the OEM TIPM or ECU to keep the HVAC system happy? Or is it completely self contained and just needs the panel switches, battery power, and fan/air-flow-control components?
post #9 of 69 Old 02-03-2019, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Good questions, because thatís the only thing stopping some of us. I can do without the nannies, but AC/heat has to be there.

2010 Silver JKU
post #10 of 69 Old 02-03-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
What exactly is required as far as control boxes? Did you keep any of the OEM TIPM or ECU to keep the HVAC system happy? Or is it completely self contained and just needs the panel switches, battery power, and fan/air-flow-control components?

^x2

I'm very interested in how this was taken care of ,also.

post #11 of 69 Old 02-03-2019, 11:38 PM
Granite Guru

Being I've had my '08 jkur since new, it came with a lifetime warranty. If the engine blows, they'll install a new one. Other than that, I do have a sbc 383 stroker engine in my old Willys.
post #12 of 69 Old 02-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

take-out LS. I'm not picky. A 5.3 would suit my needs just fine... and if I can get the Gen4 with a 6L80, then I'm good. I'll do the conversion myself. My JK has been a 3rd vehicle since 2016.

I like the Gladiator, but I have a 2015 Ram. I will be amazed if the Gladiator hits the market in basic trim under $40,000. I have a high expectation that dealers will be tacking on their "adjusted market value" price gouging because "its the only convertible truck you can buy"..... but still lacking the V8 gut.

My problem is at my current rate, I'll never swap anything into my JK. A 2007 with 70,000 miles on it isn't exactly close to falling apart.
jvandy50 and Coondog like this.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #13 of 69 Old 02-04-2019, 03:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
My jeep ain't got no OEM electrical shit at all. None. Stand alone brain for the hemi and a street rod kit for the chassis. HVAC system needs the lil' fact'ry panel to function with the cables. TNT just inserted the panel into the custom dash. Had to add a switch to turn on the A/C.
jvandy50 likes this.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #14 of 69 Old 02-04-2019, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
take-out LS. I'm not picky. A 5.3 would suit my needs just fine... and if I can get the Gen4 with a 6L80, then I'm good. I'll do the conversion myself. My JK has been a 3rd vehicle since 2016.

I like the Gladiator, but I have a 2015 Ram. I will be amazed if the Gladiator hits the market in basic trim under $40,000. I have a high expectation that dealers will be tacking on their "adjusted market value" price gouging because "its the only convertible truck you can buy"..... but still lacking the V8 gut.

My problem is at my current rate, I'll never swap anything into my JK. A 2007 with 70,000 miles on it isn't exactly close to falling apart.
Lol this one may go 300k, i really donít know...sheís been great, just a little lacking. I was looking into a 5.3 and Robbie basically talked me out of it for my particular situation. I donít think Iíd kick any gen 4 LS out of my engine bay though.

2010 Silver JKU
post #15 of 69 Old 02-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Bus pass
j3ff3ry_j33p and KOWBOY like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #16 of 69 Old 02-05-2019, 10:02 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Buy a new Bronco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #17 of 69 Old 02-05-2019, 10:18 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

L86 and 8L90E

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #18 of 69 Old 02-06-2019, 11:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
With our jeeps aging and value dropping, just curious what some of you guys are planning. Iíve had some money set back for when the 3.8 gives up the ghost, but she just keeps chugging on. Couple that with the fact i saw a similarly built jku the other day listed for 18k at a dealership...got me thinking...do i dump LS money into this thing? LS/60s are worth more than my entire jeep lol.

Also, Iím talking a 6.0 pullout and doing the job myself, not a 20k+ LS3 crate.

Thoughts/opinions/bacon?

The value is only dropping if you know for a fact you're going to sell it. If you don't plan on selling it, the value is measured in fun factor, not dollars.

If you're gonna keep it, make it into exactly what you want and have fun. Worrying about the value takes the fun out of it.

Quote:
The stock ECU/TIPM monitors the pressure on the high side of the system to control the radiator fan and compressor clutch. The work around is to add a trinary switch inline on the high side. It gets wired in to activate the fans at a set pressure and will cut off the compressor if the pressure gets too high or too low. I think it's actually called a safety switch. That's how all the stand alone aftermarket ac systems work. I'd be willing to bet TnT installed something like that on Kowboys rig.

Scroll down on this page for the switches.

https://www.vintageair.com/hose-kits...ety%20Switches

Really good video of the whole deal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=l604JCZx_ow
jvandy50 and 2qik2see like this.

Kevin
post #19 of 69 Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
The value is only dropping if you know for a fact you're going to sell it. If you don't plan on selling it, the value is measured in fun factor, not dollars.

If you're gonna keep it, make it into exactly what you want and have fun. Worrying about the value takes the fun out of it.
this is kinda how i feel about it, and honestly never really questioned it until my dad(who'll be helping me) heard the price of a motech swap kit...should've seen the look lol. a whipple kit for a car, LS kit for a jeep, those are entire drag cars to him...the price of admission is just absurd in his eyes, and i do value his opinion. i just think we may have to agree to disagree here.

in the end, i think it would continue to be a solid vehicle, but more fun to drive. it'd be hard for me to ever sell it, and my little girl LOVES it.

2010 Silver JKU
post #20 of 69 Old 02-07-2019, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

the damned-best comment or reply I have seen upon this forum in years:

( @gt1guy
on subject-of currently owned JK/JKUs
)

".....The value is only dropping if you know for a fact you're going to sell it. If you don't plan on selling it, the value is measured in fun factor, not dollars.

If you're gonna keep it, make it into exactly what you want and have fun. Worrying about the value takes the fun out of it...."

ALASHA likes this.

post #21 of 69 Old 02-07-2019, 07:09 AM
Granite Guru

GT1 Guy is correct. When I sold my 2014 Hemi JKU Was surprised how little I got out of it compared to what I had in it. I had a lot of fun with it for 4& 1/2 years though.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #22 of 69 Old 02-07-2019, 07:16 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
".....If you're gonna keep it, make it into exactly what you want and have fun. Worrying about the value takes the fun out of it...."
The last time your tranny went boom you got a coldsore
Dkjeep, jvandy50, ASSFROW and 1 others like this.
post #23 of 69 Old 02-07-2019, 07:38 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Buy a new Bronco.
I may go this way depending on what the new bronco is. I hope it's not another minivan/stationwagon/crossover.

2009 JKU
post #24 of 69 Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
The last time your tranny went boom you got a coldsore
Hahahahahaaaaa!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #25 of 69 Old 02-07-2019, 10:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I believe it was Kowboy who said, if you don't want to loose money on a Jeep, don't drive one off the lot.

I think that's pretty spot on.

For those who have young kids. Whatever you spend to get the family outdoors is worth it. They are never going to forget it.

My dad got me my first dirtbike when I was 10. I didn't stop riding for 42 years. One of the things I miss the most about him is out riding together.
jvandy50, j3ff3ry_j33p and rzide like this.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode