Freedom Top storage in a 2-Door Wrangler - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 02-01-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Freedom Top storage in a 2-Door Wrangler

I recently got a decent deal on a 2018 2-door Sahara JK. I had a Toyota 4Runner for 10 years but very rarely needed a back seat and its V8 was overkill for the occasions where I hauled my dirt bike using a hitch carrier. I'm loving the Jeep and already took the back seat out for a bit more space when my wife and I take our Retriever hiking. I need to put a cargo liner in and will probably spring for the more expensive Weathertech with the roll out bumper guard unless anyone knows of a better setup.

But my real reason for posting is, what do I do with the removable Freedom Top panels when the back seat is out? The Jeep didn't come with the carrier bag, so I'm looking at the OEM one or the Rugged Ridge one; are they basically the same? I found a good deal on an OEM one for $50 and the RR one for $35, so quite a bit less than retail. With the back seat out, I assume I can't stand them vertically and strap them to the front headrests because of the open rear foot wells, right? I could lay them flat in the back but I've read where others have said they will slide around and get chipped up.

Has anyone seen some type of plastic insert that can go in the foot wells to make that area flush with the rear cargo area? Can I get the tops to stand vertically with the back seat out, or am I stuck laying them flat and anchoring them somehow to the cargo hooks to keep them from sliding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkoko View Post
I recently got a decent deal on a 2018 2-door Sahara JK. I had a Toyota 4Runner for 10 years but very rarely needed a back seat and its V8 was overkill for the occasions where I hauled my dirt bike using a hitch carrier. I'm loving the Jeep and already took the back seat out for a bit more space when my wife and I take our Retriever hiking. I need to put a cargo liner in and will probably spring for the more expensive Weathertech with the roll out bumper guard unless anyone knows of a better setup.

But my real reason for posting is, what do I do with the removable Freedom Top panels when the back seat is out? The Jeep didn't come with the carrier bag, so I'm looking at the OEM one or the Rugged Ridge one; are they basically the same? I found a good deal on an OEM one for $50 and the RR one for $35, so quite a bit less than retail. With the back seat out, I assume I can't stand them vertically and strap them to the front headrests because of the open rear foot wells, right? I could lay them flat in the back but I've read where others have said they will slide around and get chipped up.

Has anyone seen some type of plastic insert that can go in the foot wells to make that area flush with the rear cargo area? Can I get the tops to stand vertically with the back seat out, or am I stuck laying them flat and anchoring them somehow to the cargo hooks to keep them from sliding?

I put mine in the closet when I got the Webasto Throwback top. Never looked back either! Bestop has one as well. Canít tell ya much about that one tho. Iím sure the Bestop version is pretty good as well. Iíve had zero issues with my Throwback. Been thru 2 hurricanes, numerous storms and over 20k miles. Little pricy but not worrying about freedom panel headache and open air anytime..so worth every penny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode