2009 Jeep Rubicon axle stuck, Really stuck! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-23-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2009 Jeep Rubicon axle stuck, Really stuck!

Has anyone ever had a problem pulling the rear axles on a 09 Rubicon? There doesn't seem to be a C clip or locking pin on this Dana 44 and I did remove the 4 bolts on backing plate.
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 PM
Rock God

If axle shaft has some movement, it's probably the seal that's stuck in the axle housing bore.
A slide hammer might do the trick, but, even then, it may take quite a few tries.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 26 Old 01-23-2019, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
If axle shaft has some movement, it's probably the seal that's stuck in the axle housing bore.
A slide hammer might do the trick, but, even then, it may take quite a few tries.
Thank you for responding, I've tried the slide hammer and had a couple friends and my dad give it a try. Could there be a locking pin somewhere in rear diff. That Im missing?

A little of this jeeps history- I bought this Rubicon already lifted and on 35s. Beautiful jeep but i knew it needed some love!

Day 1 had issues with cooling system, i fixed that and drove 30,000 miles on it until bringing to a shop for bearings and seals and clutch job. Rear passenger starting to make some noise.

That shop called me and said they couldn't get rear axle drivers side out. They said it was bent 1/2 inch into the rear diff. They said I needed to get new rear end on jeep because there was a pin that was lose in the gears and drivers rear bent axle.

I am just learning my jeep and how to fix it but figured they were trying to get money out of me because I thought if my axle was bent it would wear on my tire differently or make noise, be bouncy atleast or wobble. None of that.. I've gone another 20,000 since they said don't drive it, you'll flip it if you go highway speeds..

Facts- I've somehow broke/lost 2 pin locks on front passenger side sway bar within last year and just had the lugs bust on my 2 inch spacers-Rear passenger side- last weekend.

I figured that since I've got tires off anyways to put new spacers I should see about pulling the axle I was told was bent..It is stuck for sure.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 PM
Rock God

There is no retainer in the differential for the axle shaft.
However, if it's bent in the differential, or the splines are twisted, it will be difficult to remove the axle shaft.

When a rear axle shaft is difficult to remove, it's usually because the seal is stuck in the housing.

Did they show you what pin is loose in the differential?

Here is a thread which shows what is inside the Rubicon differential: OEM Ribicon Locker Study

post #5 of 26 Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
There is no retainer in the differential for the axle shaft.
However, if it's bent in the differential, or the splines are twisted, it will be difficult to remove the axle shaft.

When a rear axle shaft is difficult to remove, it's usually because the seal is stuck in the housing.

Did they show you what pin is loose in the differential?

Here is a thread which shows what is inside the Rubicon differential: OEM Ribicon Locker Study
Thank you! No they didn't show me anything. I'll try again tomorrow to bang it out, crossing my fingers it does.
post #6 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 12:34 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Depending on the slide hammer size that's available to you.
I've always used the disc. Put the disc back on, but around the opposite way and thread the lug nuts back on about 1/2 inch. Push the disc up against the axle flange, then by holding the disc at a quarter to three, use all your weight to yank/pull the disc towards yourself, doing this multiple times should release the axle.
SoK66 and GobiRecon like this.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodjk View Post
Depending on the slide hammer size that's available to you.
I've always used the disc. Put the disc back on, but around the opposite way and thread the lug nuts back on about 1/2 inch. Push the disc up against the axle flange, then by holding the disc at a quarter to three, use all your weight to yank/pull the disc towards yourself, doing this multiple times should release the axle.
That's the first thing I tried before getting the slide hammer. Now that I know there's not a pin or C clip we will go hard on it! Thank you!
post #8 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 08:45 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

First you are going to want to build a campfire under the jeep to heat up the axle. Don't worry if some of the plastic melts, that just means the axle is getting hot enough. Next, wrap some tow chain around the axle and hook it to the back of daddy's pickup truck. Have dad hit the gas and that axle will pop free like a loose tooth.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

Are you using a 3 finger slide hammer for pulling axles? Take a pic of where the axle tube goes into the center section, let's see if we can notice a bend.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
Are you using a 3 finger slide hammer for pulling axles? Take a pic of where the axle tube goes into the center section, let's see if we can notice a bend.

I tried to upload a picture and it says it exceeds my limit. Must be a setting in this forum.. Actually broke the threads on the slide hammer today trying to get axle out. Rented it from part store. I think its a 5 lb. Hammer with a evertough axle puller attachment. Used a sledgehammer and a block of wood too, broke a crowbar! Didn't get far but maybe an inch out. STUCK.

I'm going to see if the other side slides out or if it's wedged in there too. IDK..
post #11 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A girl her dog and her JEEP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post

I tried to upload a picture and it says it exceeds my limit. Must be a setting in this forum.. Actually broke the threads on the slide hammer today trying to get axle out. Rented it from part store. I think its a 5 lb. Hammer with a evertough axle puller attachment. Used a sledgehammer and a block of wood too, broke a crowbar! Didn't get far but maybe an inch out. STUCK.

I'm going to see if the other side slides out or if it's wedged in there too. IDK..
I pulled rear passenger shaft in 5 minutes..drivers side is stuck..
post #12 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 08:38 PM
Granite Guru

Is it out enough you can pull the carrier? If so maybe you could slide a long pipe or peice of round stock in the other side and smack it from that angle?

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUR33 View Post
Is it out enough you can pull the carrier? If so maybe you could slide a long pipe or peice of round stock in the other side and smack it from that angle?
I'm new to working on my jeep, I'm learning quick but I'm not sure what you mean by smacking from other side? Do you mean removing gears from the diff? Would that ruin the spider gear? At this point i just want the axle out and ill put a new rear end in it if I have to. I need my jeep on the road, everyday driver!
post #14 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 09:21 PM
Granite Guru

If the axle shaft is pulled far enough out that the hole carrier/locker (what the ring gear bolts to) will come out. You should have a clear shot at it from the other side. Stick a solid pipe or something throw the side you where able to remove the shaft and see if you can hammer it out that way. Just an idea. It will ruin the splined end of the shaft but if it’s already bent that may not matter. Up to you.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 26 Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08JKUR33 View Post
If the axle shaft is pulled far enough out that the hole carrier/locker (what the ring gear bolts to) will come out. You should have a clear shot at it from the other side. Stick a solid pipe or something throw the side you where able to remove the shaft and see if you can hammer it out that way. Just an idea. It will ruin the splined end of the shaft but if it’s already bent that may not matter. Up to you.
So now that I have the axle shaft out of the passenger side and the drivers side axle shaft maybe an inch- the gear doesn't rotate when I spin from the outside. Would this mean the splined end is now out of the diff. Side?
Sorry I don't have all the names of parts down yet.

Does that also mean that is wasn't bent into the diff. Like I was told but rather the seal and bearings are what's preventing it from coming out? Slam another inch and it should be free?

Thanks for all the input!🤘
post #16 of 26 Old 01-25-2019, 04:39 AM
Rock God

I don't think an inch out is enough to disengage the axle shaft from the differential. When you spin the axle shaft, look at the gears inside the differential. Those can spin without the ring gear spinning.

Don't remove the differential to get a shot at it from the other side. There is too much opportunity to mess up the shims, and it's a lot of extra work.

The bearings won't prevent axle shaft removal. The worst that can happen there is the outer race will stay in the housing.
With the shaft out about an inch, can you see the seal? Is it still partially in the housing?

post #17 of 26 Old 01-25-2019, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
First you are going to want to build a campfire under the jeep to heat up the axle. Don't worry if some of the plastic melts, that just means the axle is getting hot enough. Next, wrap some tow chain around the axle and hook it to the back of daddy's pickup truck. Have dad hit the gas and that axle will pop free like a loose tooth.

Remember helping me do that ? It not only got that stubborn shaft extracted but permitted us time to share a nice cup of hot cocoa & s'mores as fire got up to temp. Good times!

I do miss the carpet ,seats & sports bar padding but worth it.

(edit: OP , pictures you put the URL to in here would maybe help if you can do so, fwiw)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 01-25-2019 at 04:53 AM.
post #18 of 26 Old 01-25-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
I don't think an inch out is enough to disengage the axle shaft from the differential. When you spin the axle shaft, look at the gears inside the differential. Those can spin without the ring gear spinning.

Don't remove the differential to get a shot at it from the other side. There is too much opportunity to mess up the shims, and it's a lot of extra work.

The bearings won't prevent axle shaft removal. The worst that can happen there is the outer race will stay in the housing.
With the shaft out about an inch, can you see the seal? Is it still partially in the housing?
Yes, I can see the edge of the seal.
post #19 of 26 Old 01-25-2019, 08:33 AM
Granite Guru

Keep banging on it ,its almost out.

post #20 of 26 Old 01-25-2019, 09:28 AM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

Remember helping me do that ? It not only got that stubborn shaft extracted but permitted us time to share a nice cup of hot cocoa & s'mores as fire got up to temp. Good times!

(edit: OP , pictures you put the URL to in here would maybe help if you can do so, fwiw)
I guess nobody appreciates advice disguised as sarcasm.
The heating part is subjective but using the chain whip method might beat out a small slide hammer. Take that chain and affix it to the lugs and whip / pull the chain to create a 100lb slide hammer. Works on dem shit-encrusted axles from da pickin-pull.
post #21 of 26 Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

I guess nobody appreciates advice disguised as sarcasm.
The heating part is subjective but using the chain whip method might beat out a small slide hammer. Take that chain and affix it to the lugs and whip / pull the chain to create a 100lb slide hammer. Works on dem shit-encrusted axles from da pickin-pull.
Hey, thanks for the advice! I love the sarcasm, I'm drippin with sarcasm myself. The campfire suggestion made me think about using a torch to heat it up. I don't have anything to attach a chain to though. I've got a wench on the front of my jeep but that does no good in this situation. I'm in my garage with my jeep on blocks. I can see the seal now so I'm slowly making progress.
Thank you!
post #22 of 26 Old 01-25-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Quote:

Yes, I can see the edge of the seal.
I did it! The shaft is out now but I'm so confused as to why it was so hard. The splines aren't damaged at all and the bearings and seals aren't mangled, it doesn't seem bent at all.

Now to order new axles, suggestions?
post #23 of 26 Old 01-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I did it! The shaft is out now but I'm so confused as to why it was so hard. The splines aren't damaged at all and the bearings and seals aren't mangled, it doesn't seem bent at all.

that is not all that uncommon. look at some cromo axleshafts from Northridge4x4 with the bearings and seals already pressed on. 10factory brand are nice for the money.
rich6700 likes this.
post #24 of 26 Old 01-27-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

Since I appear to have spent-up all of my
sarcasm coins on this thread , I will - in seriousness - suggest
that it is at least possible for non-appearent to the eye twists / bends in steel parts , particularly those like shafts with high tolerance toothing such as axleshafts to occur. You need good squares and levels & maybe yoyr verniere calipers to be sure . It takes the slightest bend to go from fitting to almost siezed with them . I bent both sides on known to be very good ,4140 rear aftermarket axelshafts last year & one of them looked for all the world straight but about 4" in from the flange, it was just off enough to cause it to wobble,squeak & exert enough directional pressure towards one side of the differential gear as to cause it to require a good deal of extra force to remove to return*

So, maybe have it actually checked if you feel it worth doing so because it definitely ain't always easy to see a bend or twist ...I suppose your gosl was extraction & that's done so cool

This is the imminent risks involved with all of us JKOwners going ' hard core'
with OEM, nominal strength , semi-float axle housings.
It will eventually result in
or mangle.

(* for the manufacturer to evaluate ( they don't see many bends like that ; if and when , they usually see bent flanges or very occasionally a twisted splines. I can break stuff really well.. )

post #25 of 26 Old 01-27-2019, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No bend

I brought the shafts to a drive line shop and he says the axle shafts are good. Getting new bearings pressed on!
Thanks for all the input!
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode