Who is still on H4 conversion headlights? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Who is still on H4 conversion headlights?

While I like LEDs for marker and indicator lights, I am still old school on the headlights and am still running Cibie E-Code H4 housings with a 12ga harness/relays and good halogen bulbs. Like Daniel Stern recommends.

Anyone else old school and still resisting LED for headlights? What do you have? I ran the Hella E-Code H4s fo a while too. They are awesome but I liked the pattern and efficiency of the Cibies better.

Or did you cave and go LED headlights? Happy? Splain, porfavor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 04:26 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Factory bulbs. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it. Also I don’t drive my Jeep at night often, and I have Rigid Dually D2 driving beam lights in my fog lights.

That being said, my passenger bulb is now completely dead in both high and low beam. I would retrofit a set of HID projectors into my headlights if I wanted an upgrade.

@Matti did a great write up about it, but the pictures have been lost in the great photobucket extortion attempt from a few years ago.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/elect...fit-cheap.html

*edit* I seem to have missed the memo on how to tag someone on here.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-16-2019, 04:51 PM
Random Dude

E-code housings with H4s fed by relays and real wiring here. Happy-happy, joy-joy.

I plan to stick with that ^ in case I drive in driving snow or freezing rain (self-defrosting feature is nice ).

My fogs, rock lights, aux. reverse lights & offroad light (yes, only 1) are LED, but I'm keeping H4 headlights for now.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-17-2019, 11:07 PM
Rock God

I went from the original LED Truck-lites > RallyLights/SMS Harness with Hella E-Codes > Cibie E-Codes > Back to Hella E-Codes with Hella 100/80W bulbs.

Disappointed with the X artifacts and low beam on the Truck-lites. Hella E-Codes have a cleaner forward beam pattern and better high beams while the Cibie E-Codes have better throw to the side for ditches. Definitely prefer the more warmer color of halogen than the cooler white LEDs.

I've tried Philips X-Treme Vision and Osram Nightbreaker bulbs but they always blow out one side after 1-2 months. I've had the Hella 100/80w bulbs in for a year now and no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2019, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

until a month ago , I was an ardent H4 holdout . I was very pleased with the setup I used for a long time. Over the past few years , however, it seemed inadequate when on night rides & I saw other , newer Jeeps w/ LED headlights....
Yet, I was not going to experience the same janky , resistor flashing as doors shut , oddball behavior from using a lower wattage lighting solution w/ something as critical as headlights like I had with running LED flush tailights in my '11 for a long time. ....

So, up until this year, I have had halogen , Osram or Hella ( same thing I think?) 80/100 H4s within a very underrated lens IMHO , the Delta that doesn't have that quadbar thing in it . It's their H4 conversion lens. That was a solid setup. I only disliked the glass being breakable so I ran stone guards on them.

Then, after seeing my rock lights and aux Vision bars white light , I tried out some LEDs first from Putco ( those Lumanix suck as bad as they say for lux but they are indestructible build-wise. Returned those) but then switched to a better LED projector setup this year. I would say this magnified and increased the light my Jeep casts forward by 8-10 times what the H4s did. Quality light, too. Not that typical , unusable blob that LEDs throw out usually. They'rer , better illuminating, cheap enough to replace if polycarbonate gets scratched & I think they look acceptable. I don't need $900.00 headlights, even if American assembled . Amazon has them for under $125.00 . No flicker and no drivers or modules needed since that's all builtin.

Here's before and after ( appearance , not lighting)

They are like night and day difference. I don't drive at night really anymore but whenever I do ,it's like I have the Sun on front of the Jeep. Very clean, sharp cutoff on both high and low. They are no JWSpeaker , but I would do this upgrade again

( I got an approximately 3-4 lbs of weight reduction from this switch)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 01-18-2019 at 05:09 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-18-2019, 06:55 AM
Rock God

A few years ago, I made the upgrade to LED's. I wet with the JW Speaker with all the stuff built-in. Absolutely love them. Crisp cutoff, so not unwanted hi-beam flashes from oncoming traffic. When you are on an open country road, these things will throw the light forward and light of the ditches too.

Other thing that people dislike about LED's is the ability to not melt snow. For me it is a non-issue in Northeast Texas, we get dusting about once a year. Also if I lived where there was a lot more rain, snow and/or fog, I would have gone with halogens to get the yellower light. Nothing like blinding the shit out of yourself with the white light being reflected straight back to you.

I'm glad you bring up upgrades though, mainly with the housing and lens. We have to many bro-trucks here. All they care about is the BRIGHTEST with no regards to anyone else. They throw an LED bulb into the stock housing and the light scatters everywhere. I'm usually not the one for more inspection stuff, but damn I wish Texas would crack down on this more.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #7 of 12 Old 01-22-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
until a month ago , I was an ardent H4 holdout . I was very pleased with the setup I used for a long time. Over the past few years , however, it seemed inadequate when on night rides & I saw other , newer Jeeps w/ LED headlights....
Yet, I was not going to experience the same janky , resistor flashing as doors shut , oddball behavior from using a lower wattage lighting solution w/ something as critical as headlights like I had with running LED flush tailights in my '11 for a long time. ....

So, up until this year, I have had halogen , Osram or Hella ( same thing I think?) 80/100 H4s within a very underrated lens IMHO , the Delta that doesn't have that quadbar thing in it . It's their H4 conversion lens. That was a solid setup. I only disliked the glass being breakable so I ran stone guards on them.

Then, after seeing my rock lights and aux Vision bars white light , I tried out some LEDs first from Putco ( those Lumanix suck as bad as they say for lux but they are indestructible build-wise. Returned those) but then switched to a better LED projector setup this year. I would say this magnified and increased the light my Jeep casts forward by 8-10 times what the H4s did. Quality light, too. Not that typical , unusable blob that LEDs throw out usually. They'rer , better illuminating, cheap enough to replace if polycarbonate gets scratched & I think they look acceptable. I don't need $900.00 headlights, even if American assembled . Amazon has them for under $125.00 . No flicker and no drivers or modules needed since that's all builtin.

Here's before and after ( appearance , not lighting)

They are like night and day difference. I don't drive at night really anymore but whenever I do ,it's like I have the Sun on front of the Jeep. Very clean, sharp cutoff on both high and low. They are no JWSpeaker , but I would do this upgrade again

( I got an approximately 3-4 lbs of weight reduction from this switch)

What, exactly, is this “better LED projector setup” that you’re running now? There are so many on Amazon. Which did you go with?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-22-2019, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

@ColtMansfield

Maybe I should have used better grammar or punctuation;
I meant to say that I'd changed to a better performing for my
particular use-case scenario, cheap as motherfucking hell, Chinese LED from Amazon.

There's only two offerings on there presently if searching for
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK LED headlights. There's just the hradlights and there's the same set tbut bundled w/ led turn indicators for $120 ,iirc.
. It's the sub-$100 set that freaking looks like my pictures .

I didn't mean to imply that they were better than what you must have or know about ...

plz tell me you're not in the Offroad Cartel ....

post #9 of 12 Old 01-23-2019, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
While I like LEDs for marker and indicator lights, I am still old school on the headlights and am still running Cibie E-Code H4 housings with a 12ga harness/relays and good halogen bulbs. Like Daniel Stern recommends.

Anyone else old school and still resisting LED for headlights? What do you have? I ran the Hella E-Code H4s fo a while too. They are awesome but I liked the pattern and efficiency of the Cibies better.

Or did you cave and go LED headlights? Happy? Splain, porfavor.

I had the Hella E-code, good bulbs and 12ga harness relays too but later added JW Speaker EvoII (non JK version). The JW Speaker looks cool and had better light out-put but i feel the old H4 bulbs was better in poor weather conditions. The color hue (kelvins) of the JW Speaker was a tad blue which easily gets washed out by fog, rain or just wet pavement. I added amber bulbs into my fogs to help counter the wash out. Currently still running the JW Speakers

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #10 of 12 Old 01-23-2019, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
I had the Hella E-code, good bulbs and 12ga harness relays too but later added JW Speaker EvoII (non JK version). The JW Speaker looks cool and had better light out-put but i feel the old H4 bulbs was better in poor weather conditions. The color hue (kelvins) of the JW Speaker was a tad blue which easily gets washed out by fog, rain or just wet pavement. I added amber bulbs into my fogs to help counter the wash out. Currently still running the JW Speakers

You have very nice headlamps.

I look at the x-Sprite & SPLs of the Amazonia world ( China)
in the exact same way I used to compare Korean pitbikes to Hondas or those 5lb plastic bags of generic , sugar breakfast cereals they used to have in grocers vs real AppleJacks; sorta the same but cheaper , less well-built & obviously not the highest-end brand.

If I depended upon the headlamps in my Jeep fir night driving I'd spend $ for the good lights. Not having that use-case , I find the cookbook-LED headlights just fine for 1/6th the price.

I apologise for cluttering OPs thread w/ this but saw conversation veering towards tired LEDcentric topic & thst wasn't @White13JKUR requested input.

post #11 of 12 Old 01-23-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the responses folks.

I liked both the Hella and the Cibie E-Codes. I just like the Cibie's slightly better.

As for bulbs, I've been good with the 55/100 bulbs. Anything with a higher wattage than 55 on the low beams is great but makes the reflective lettering on street signs super bright.

For fogs, I swapped in a set of the Hella Micro DE fog lights (with harness). Those work very well as dedicated fogs and really have a good pattern to the sides and the very near ground.

I am still toying with the idea of replacing the the fog lamps with a set of those Hella BiFocal/BiFocus low beams in a set of Grote PAR46 housings as fog / near distance lights.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Rock God

I've been anti-halogen since my first vehicle with factory equipped HID projector headlights (Mitsubishi). Since then halogens just can't give me enough light. So if I can I upgrade or convert I do. In my 07 Wrangler I had HIDprojectors.com housings and loved them. They were too pricey though this time around for my 15 since good/great performing LED projector housings started becoming affordable.

I tried ones J3ffr3y used... rather ones that look like them anyhow. There are a billion that look like that on Amazon. And they were pure junk on low beam. Hot spots everywhere and shit light dispersion. High beams were just OK. Maybe the ones he bought are improved.

Then I gambled on a different projector LED housing based purely on this picture from the amazon page and I won the lottery.

That picture is legitimate. They really are that bright and sharp. So far in two winters we haven't had ice build up issues either. Early on I had some flicker/shutoff issues that turned out to be a bad anti-flicker connection.

I can't compare them to a JWSpeaker or whoever, but for the price they are simply not beatable.

If color is a concern the LED's are going to be a purer white light. If going HID I stick with 4300K or 5000k to be closer to daylight color. These LED lights are closer to white light but so far snow storms and rain don't reflect the light back making these usless (I had drop in HID's in an XJ once that were completely useless in snow!)

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode