Need Help Understanding Working Load Capacities - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By marcspaz
  • 1 Post By thedirtman
  • 1 Post By 2qik2see

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-15-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Need Help Understanding Working Load Capacities

My apologizes in advance for the long post.

What spawned this post is, I pulled someone's JKU out of a snow-filled ditch the other day. He was just feet off the road and there was a fence on the opposite side of the road. Due to trees, a sign and pole in the way, I had to park perpendicular to the flow of the road, blocking all traffic and winch the JK up a 2.5'/3' snowy, muddy embankment. I unspooled such little line that I had my wired remote (which was connected) in my hand while I linked the hook to his front bumper. While I was winching, you could hear the winch struggling and it was moving pretty slow. I know if I used a pulley, it would have been safer and a lot less effort/strain on my vehicle and winch.

So now I am looking for a snatch block to use for winching my JKU. I'm hoping there are some folks here who can help me make the right choice on buying a snatch block. That involves buying a product that is not too weak or too expensive for my application and budget.

I want to be sure I understand concepts of the ratings. I see there are two different ratings on snatch blocks; the Safe/Normal Working Load (SWL)and the Break Strength (BS).

Based on the wording, what I am gathering is the SWL is the load capacity at which you can use the pulley safely for an indefinite amount of time; and the BS is the point where the manufacturers known their product will suffer catastrophic failure. Based on those two values, working anywhere between the SWL and the BS is a risk, with the chance of failure increasing as you get closer to the BS.

Does all that sound right so far?

Now, my Jeep has a GVWR of 5,700 lbs. My winch has a max pull rating of about 10,000 lbs on layer 1. I am thinking about getting a snatch block that has a SWL of 15,000 lbs and a BS of 32,000 lbs.

My thinking is this... my max vehicle weight is 5,700 if it is completely load to the gills with everything and the kitchen sink. However, reality is, its daily weight and what I would likely be winching is closer to 4,500 lbs.

What I am looking for with regard to a snatch block is, to reduce the load on the winch and increase pulling power if I can only unspool a few feet for self-recovery or recovery of another vehicle similar in weight to my own.

Since we are dealing with rolling loads and not dead-lift/dead-drag weights, and the working load will likely never go beyond 6,500 lbs, I am thinking about getting a snatch block that is rated for 15,000 SWL, with a BS of 32,000 lbs. I am thinking that the price is right for this category and my budget, plus I am assuming that the SWL capacity is well beyond what my max working load will be.

So am I completely missing the mark on this one, or am I understanding the ratings and theories correctly?

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you are really board, here is dash cam footage from the recovery. You will see how pulling with a strap failed due to the angle of pull and slick mud/snow, leading to winching. You can see just how little the cable was pulled out. I wish you can hear the winch straining on the video, but the HVAC blower drowns it out.

2qik2see likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

L/¯¯\\_ |"/¯¯¯(ºlllllllº)

_(¯))==))..(¯))==))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-15-2019, 01:17 PM
JKO Addict!

I would say you would be fine with that snatch block
marcspaz likes this.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #3 of 3 Old 01-15-2019, 01:41 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcspaz View Post
My apologizes in advance for the long post.

What spawned this post is, I pulled someone's JKU out of a snow-filled ditch the other day. He was just feet off the road and there was a fence on the opposite side of the road. Due to trees, a sign and pole in the way, I had to park perpendicular to the flow of the road, blocking all traffic and winch the JK up a 2.5'/3' snowy, muddy embankment. I unspooled such little line that I had my wired remote (which was connected) in my hand while I linked the hook to his front bumper. While I was winching, you could hear the winch struggling and it was moving pretty slow. I know if I used a pulley, it would have been safer and a lot less effort/strain on my vehicle and winch.

So now I am looking for a snatch block to use for winching my JKU. I'm hoping there are some folks here who can help me make the right choice on buying a snatch block. That involves buying a product that is not too weak or too expensive for my application and budget.

I want to be sure I understand concepts of the ratings. I see there are two different ratings on snatch blocks; the Safe/Normal Working Load (SWL)and the Break Strength (BS).

Based on the wording, what I am gathering is the SWL is the load capacity at which you can use the pulley safely for an indefinite amount of time; and the BS is the point where the manufacturers known their product will suffer catastrophic failure. Based on those two values, working anywhere between the SWL and the BS is a risk, with the chance of failure increasing as you get closer to the BS.

Does all that sound right so far?

Now, my Jeep has a GVWR of 5,700 lbs. My winch has a max pull rating of about 10,000 lbs on layer 1. I am thinking about getting a snatch block that has a SWL of 15,000 lbs and a BS of 32,000 lbs.

My thinking is this... my max vehicle weight is 5,700 if it is completely load to the gills with everything and the kitchen sink. However, reality is, its daily weight and what I would likely be winching is closer to 4,500 lbs.

What I am looking for with regard to a snatch block is, to reduce the load on the winch and increase pulling power if I can only unspool a few feet for self-recovery or recovery of another vehicle similar in weight to my own.

Since we are dealing with rolling loads and not dead-lift/dead-drag weights, and the working load will likely never go beyond 6,500 lbs, I am thinking about getting a snatch block that is rated for 15,000 SWL, with a BS of 32,000 lbs. I am thinking that the price is right for this category and my budget, plus I am assuming that the SWL capacity is well beyond what my max working load will be.

So am I completely missing the mark on this one, or am I understanding the ratings and theories correctly?

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you are really board, here is dash cam footage from the recovery. You will see how pulling with a strap failed due to the angle of pull and slick mud/snow, leading to winching. You can see just how little the cable was pulled out. I wish you can hear the winch straining on the video, but the HVAC blower drowns it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwBFrb-6D5s

Can’t answer your question but that was cool of ya to help a fellow Jeeper out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marcspaz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode