Hot Oil Indicator (but why now?) No offroading - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ALASHA
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By Fklein6768

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-15-2019, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Hot Oil Indicator (but why now?) No offroading

I've read posts that say install a tranny cooling aux. But I wanna know why suddenly this indicator is chiming? For two years I've never had this issue. I regularly drive two hours out of town; but this weekend the hot oil indicator chimed multiple times (I'd pull over, idle in neutral 2-3 minutes, it would stop, I'd wait a few more minutes then proceed).
Backstory:
2009 Jeep Wrangler primary transportation that I DON'T drive off road.
In December it was shaking at low speeds only; the shop said it was my transmission. Receipt says "Gear box open and fitted" "Gear converter repaired with computer system programmed."
The day after receiving it back ALL of the transmission fluid leaked out and saturated my under carriage as I was driving to work; STILL smells of oil inside. I returned it and they said the technician forgot to replace the seals.
Now in January the "hot oil" indicator chimed this weekend. The following morning on my way to the shop the gears were PROPER SLIPPING above 2k rpm; so I slowly drove under 2k rpm to the shop. Any ideas or advice?
There is a 2 month warranty on their job and I don't wanna be taken advantage of for being a woman and having little knowledge about my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-15-2019, 06:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Take it to another shop. Sounds like the first one messed up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Granite Guru

First thing to do is check the fluid level.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

They are now saying they will replace my whole transmission with a used one that will only have a 7day warranty...any recommendations?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

There's a company called ATS that some have had
great experiences with , some professional ultra4 racers even use them , who offer beefier TCs and rebuilt 42rle I believe. You might search for them if you've exhausted your resources.

You could also look for salvage or LS upgrade offers of stock components. I saw an auto and engine at genright this past year . Heat is the worst enemy of automatic trannys so absolutely aux cool your replacement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 11:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

There's a company called ATS that some have had
great experiences with , some professional ultra4 racers even use them , who offer beefier TCs and rebuilt 42rle I believe. You might search for them if you've exhausted your resources.

You could also look for salvage or LS upgrade offers of stock components. I saw an auto and engine at genright this past year . Heat is the worst enemy of automatic trannys so absolutely aux cool your replacement.

ATS had some badass overly expensive trans for the 3.8. I remember seeing multiple threads of them not living up to expectations to say the least...

My 8,000th post. Man Dan would probably say those are rookie numbers and I need to pump them way up.

post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
ATS had some badass overly expensive trans for the 3.8. I remember seeing multiple threads of them not living up to expectations to say the least...

My 8,000th post. Man Dan would probably say those are rookie numbers and I need to pump them way up.

I'm honored to be the guy
replied to in your
meager-by-Dan-standards ,8,000th post ,dude.
I also , now that ya mention it , do recall the things you mention about them, now. But, aren't they the same place that braises better tines upon the torque converters for EMC Jeeps we've read about? I know I've heard some good stuff, too . Maybe that
was long ago ...eh, srry,OP.

post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 02:09 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

I'm honored to be the guy
replied to in your
meager-by-Dan-standards ,8,000th post ,dude.
I also , now that ya mention it , do recall the things you mention about them, now. But, aren't they the same place that braises better tines upon the torque converters for EMC Jeeps we've read about? I know I've heard some good stuff, too . Maybe that
was long ago ...eh, srry,OP.

I dont know if they are solved. I would sure hope they are based on the size and reputation of ATS but I do remember several people spending big money and not necessarily getting the "oh crap we screwed up, we will 100% fix it response from ATS at the time" If I remember right, it was torque converter related?

post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I dont know if they are solved. I would sure hope they are based on the size and reputation of ATS but I do remember several people spending big money and not necessarily getting the "oh crap we screwed up, we will 100% fix it response from ATS at the time" If I remember right, it was torque converter related?
you remember correctly
ALASHA likes this.

post #10 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 03:13 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm just replying to the Dan reference....

That's a shitty offer tbh and would echo the recommendation to get to another shop. Sadly you will then need to fight it out with original shop for compensation of their screw-up. Small claims court is one route to take but it's not a fun prospect. Where is your location maybe someone on here can steer you to a place that won't screw you over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #11 of 11 Old 01-22-2019, 03:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

I have had many a beer with said poster and even he would admit his posts are not near as technical as yours and mostly in chit chat

Although I do recall a not aweful write-up on some lights/installation from way back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
ALASHA likes this.

www.4x4s-pod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode