• 1 Post By Riptide9
  • 1 Post By CT Performance, Inc
  • 1 Post By ALASHA
  • 1 Post By un lupus
  • 1 Post By akpostal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-09-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

LED Headlights

Last night was the final straw. Ive had my wrangler for 3 years putting up with driving blind every time its dark and it rains! I know this has been hashed over many times before but with tech changes, does anyone have any opinions on a reasonable LED headlight replacement with heaters (upstate NY)?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-09-2019, 07:12 AM
Rock God

If you're defining reasonable as cost, you'll miss out on J.W.Speakers.

I have a pretty fucked up opinion when it comes to safety items - brakes, tires, lighting - if you're not spending the money for quality components, that's fucked up.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-09-2019, 07:47 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Never understood the need to spend $300-$600 on headlights. Yes, the factory ones are terrible but you can get LED headlights that are CREE (Phillips) work great and are sub $100 for a set.

These are the ones on mine and wife's JK's for the last 3 years with no issue at all for $89/pair DOT approved (3 of my friends have these on thir JK's also)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XYQQL9...0-e9186df35c37

I have two other friends who have these ones that look just like the JW Speaker (so your friends think you paid stupid money on them) and the come with led signal lights also for $129
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KNXSIYS..._t1_B01B376YOE
rockystock likes this.

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 AM
Rock God

There are a fair number of discussions regarding your question , try searching instead of starting another thread about a subject that has been beaten like the proverbial dead horse .

Welcome to JKO !

Affordable is subjective , safety is another matter .

J.W. Speaker and Rigid Industries (Truck-Lites) are the most popular choices .

There was a comparison thread done on this site that was thorough , it will have all your questions answered .

Personally I run Truck-Lites , don't have any experience with J.W. Speaker , I'm satisfied with the product and performance as well as customer service of the company .
post #5 of 14 Old 01-09-2019, 07:53 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
Never understood the need to spend $300-$600 on headlights. Yes, the factory ones are terrible but you can get LED headlights that are CREE (Phillips) work great and are sub $100 for a set.

These are the ones on mine and wife's JK's for the last 3 years with no issue at all for $89/pair DOT approved (3 of my friends have these on thir JK's also)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XYQQL9...0-e9186df35c37

I have two other friends who have these ones that look just like the JW Speaker (so your friends think you paid stupid money on them) and the come with led signal lights also for $129
I agree: Cree = quality. I don't think my lights have heaters but I'm sure they're out there for much less than JWS.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-09-2019, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I will check them out
post #7 of 14 Old 01-10-2019, 06:44 AM
JKowners Vendor

Another option is get Projection Hids. Better lighting and no issue with snow.

I've tried both big name LED headlights and they are not in the same league as Hids.
jvandy50 likes this.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-10-2019, 06:57 AM
JKO Addict!

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/news-...-shootout.html
un lupus likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Rock God

I was too lazy to look....

ALASHA likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-10-2019, 01:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
I don't think my lights have heaters but I'm sure they're out there for much less than JWS.
If you don't have them and need them, you will know in a hurry. It's a mandatory feature where I live. I had the heated Truck-Lites on my 11, bought them used and shouldn't have let them go with the Jeep when I sold it, because they were sweeeeet.

The article is 6 years old and I bet a bunch of those lights have changed design or are no longer available.

2011 JK Unlimited. It's orange. I've been told it's 'Ugly as sin' by somebody on Facebook. - SOLD
2018 JK Unlimited Rubicon. It's tan.
post #11 of 14 Old 01-10-2019, 02:04 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
I just put these headlights in Tues. Havent had a chance to try them out to make sure they arent adjusted too low or too high or in a snowfall yet.

Ive talked with a fair number of folk running non heated LED lights without an issue so I took the chance.
Riptide9 likes this.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto

COI

post #12 of 14 Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 PM

LED HEADLIGHTING

15Jan19
Just because a headlight is based on one or more LED's does not mean it will have quality lighting patterns in Low or High Beam, or both.
Quality of the LED(s) used should be a big concern in your purchase. If they are cheap headlamp assemblies, then the built-in LED's used in them are likely to be cheaper versions too. Short life at full output and just plain shorter life alltogether, e.g. yellowing lens, poor wire insulation, incorrect metal used on the connector pins leading to corrosion and failure, etc.

There are some LED elements (replaceable "bulbs" if you want to call them that, but LEDs are not really bulbs) you can purchase to install into some existing non-sealed beam headlamp. Proper fiti in teh headlamp housing AND having the right connector pins or a pin adapter must be taken into account. I for example have converted my factory JEEP JK halogens to another 7 inch round headlamp which uses H4 halogen bulbs. While it is not necessary at all, I have added in some HELLA relay's and H4 specific wiring to maintain a light current load through my dash light switch. That is totally unecessary with standard H4 bulbs but should I want to go off road and put in some higher wattage,the current passing through my dash switch never changes. In fact it is less current to drive my relay coils than the original or my H4 bulbs demand. Anyway...

Getting LED elements to plug into an existing headlamp housing at first may seem quite attractive. But you need to go into this well educated too. The quality of the reflector and lens in a reflector type or the quality of the projector lens in the projector type headlamp may have some bearing on putting LED's into them versus getting all new LED headlamp units with the built in LED's. The replaceable LED elements for existing headlamp units vary DRAMATICALLY. Price, and who makes them is a big deal. Just because a cheaper price looks identical to the ones that cost a lot more; you pay for what you get. Like anything else, shop because even the best will vary in price depending on what dealer you buy them from.

And then there is the issue of whether replaceable LED elements will fit in your vehicle - These replaceables have foil heat sinks, an extruded aluminum heat sink or a fan. Stay away from the ones with fans; they work fine until the fan fails, then your LED is quickly toast. And a fan equipped LED element might not fit in your JEEP. These heat dissipation devices take up more room behind the headlamp and bucket. As for pros and cons, at least if a rock busts the headlamp lens, you might be lucky to salvage the LED elements to plug into a replacement headlamp housing.

The complete headlamp units with built in LED's will almost always fit in the same bucket that the original incandescent or halogen factory headlamp used with at least few exceptions; the latest JEEP JL headlamps will not fit into any prior model JEEP. And I think the last year of the JK models with optional LED headlamps require new buckets but I know the buckets and headlamps will fit into earlier JK's. I imagine they might to into other earlier model JEEP's too but I havent' looked into that. I might not have this issue completely nailed down. Just study this well before you buy anything.

Whatever you buy, I think the bottom line is whether the lumen output of the LED or LED's used will actually reflect properly in a relector type housing, or project out of the headlamp assembly in a projector type headlamp. I mean does all your work and money actually put the light where it should go in Low Beam mode. AND High Beam hopefully has an improved range while maintaining the optimal lighting in areas that the low beam does not cover beyond the LB range? You might have the most lumens possible but if they aren't directed where they should be, you just have a bright light that still doesn't give you the road AND off the side of the road lighting you wanted. And of course might worsen the issue of annoying the heck out of oncoming drivers in Low Beam mode even if you aimed them well in the standard 25 foot procedure.

I would not get too stuck in the lumen number as much as I would want to know how well the light actually provides the proper AND better coverage in low versus whatever you have now. There is a lot of science going on here. Worth some price to pay for a well engineered product instead of someone just trying to sell you a clone that really isn't a good clone.

I am not an expert. I imagine something I said above is flawed. I do not have LED headlamps in my own JK yet. I do have halogen headlamps with replaceable halogen bulbs that are much better than the original JK assemblies. I am considering replacing the halogen bulbs sometime soon with GTR Ultra LED elements. My patterns will stay the same but with less yellow/better white light. That still will not be as good as JW Speaker or TRUCK LITE or a few others in the even spendy range; just a more reasonable price point for me. Cost/benefit ratio...

TRUCK LITE's are pretty attractive since their price point is pretty good and they do fairly well in review, with or without the heated lens. I noticed NAPA stores now stock them. Packaged in NAPA cartons but the carton indicates they are TRUCK LITE's, not imported brand X clones that look like the TL's but probably are inferior.

Just keep in mind that if a rock takes out one of these headlamp units with built in LED(s), your replacing the whole darn thing. Using quality elements in an existing headlamp housing has the benefit of re-using the LED element in a replacement housing. But from what I can tell, the "sealed" LED headlamp unit-assemblies such as the aforementioned TRUCK LITE can provide better results if you pay the price.

Good luck. I hope to learn more myself and if someone finds issue with anything I said above, please do correct for the benefit of everyone on this forum.

Gene
post #13 of 14 Old 01-21-2019, 10:06 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc View Post
Another option is get Projection Hids. Better lighting and no issue with snow.

I've tried both big name LED headlights and they are not in the same league as Hids.
Which would you recommend. About to upgrade both my JKs and was trying to decide which route to go

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
post #14 of 14 Old 01-21-2019, 10:57 AM
Granite Guru

If your going to spend any money at all on lights on road or off it should be on your headlights. You will be using headlights on a daily basis vs light bars that you only use the few times a year you go on night time trail runs.

At the time I was shopping around the best out there where the JW Speaker or VisionX. I Landed a good deal on the VisionX headlights and like how you could run high and low beams at the same time (the JW Speaker you couldn’t at that time). They are supper bright and have a good beam pattern but the wireing is cheep and disappointing.

Now a days I would recommend the JW Speaker 8700J2 over the VisionX because they will run the high and low beams, have integrated resisters and waterproof connector. They are supper bright with the high/low on and have a good pattern (better then the VisionX just more color to the light). My VisionX are a solid 5000K where the J2’s have color changes due to the projectors.

Bottom line spend the money smart and I. Headlights vs Offroad lights.

08 Jk Unlimited Rubicon

Link to build page-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode