Jl axles in a Jk - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By gt1guy
  • 1 Post By gt1guy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-20-2018, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Jl axles in a Jk

Have you seen this, I don't know what to say.
https://spicerparts.com/parts/axle/p...tek-front-axle

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 PM
JKO Addict!

I thought the JL had new super strong axles from the factory?

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old 12-20-2018, 08:18 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I thought the JL had new super strong axles from the factory?
I know that the RCV joints are bigger in the JL axle, but there is room for improvement in everything. Chrysler likely said to Spicer give us an axle with these specs, Spicer said here you go. Then went and beefed it up the way they wanted to. Likely larger and thicker tubes among other things.

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-21-2018, 09:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Maybe Spicer knows the FAD on the JL's is going to be a failure point.

What the hell is so bad with selectable hubs? I guess it's just too hard to step outside for 3 minutes.
ChuckTheRipper likes this.

Kevin
post #5 of 18 Old 12-22-2018, 12:10 PM
JKO Addict!

"Smaller, 220mm ring gear than the gearing in Dana 44™ axles for greater strength"

How is smaller stronger?

post #6 of 18 Old 12-23-2018, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
"Smaller, 220mm ring gear than the gearing in Dana 44™ axles for greater strength"

How is smaller stronger?

From a press release on this subject:

The Dana 44 AdvanTEK axle assemblies for the Jeep JL Wrangler offer higher torque capacity than the standard Dana Model 44™ axle. The Spicer® gearing used in Dana 44™ axles have a 226mm ring gear size, while Dana 44™AdvanTEK® axles have a smaller, more durable 220mm ring gear.

Significant features and benefits of the Dana 44™AdvanTEK® axles

Axle Shafts
Stock front axle knuckles designed to accept Spicer® 1410 u-joint
Dana 44™ AdvanTEK® axle shafts upgraded from 30 to 32 spline

Ball Joint Assembly
High-capacity upper and lower ball joints
Adjustable camber slugs allow for adjustment for gross axle weight rating changes

Seal Upgrades
New high-performance cartridge-style oil seals on front axle
New triple lip seals with axial excluder for maximum muddy water protection on rear axle

Housing Strength
Front axle tube diameter increased to 70mm from 63.5mm
Rear axle tube diameter remains at 80mm, but upgraded to high strength steel

Differential
Electric locking differential
Pinion offset decreased from 38.1mm to 20mm offering better ground clearance and higher efficiency

Axle Disconnect System
Electric disconnect system that improves fuel economy
A protective skid plate has been added to avoid off-road damage

New Suspension Mounting
Most brackets have moved to 5mm material and are now made with high-strength steel

Cover Sealing Upgrade
Re-useable rubber over metal gaskets

Gear Set
Carriers protected for 3.07 to 5.38 ratios

...seems like a bunch of kaka, but wadda I know?

post #7 of 18 Old 12-23-2018, 10:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post

How is smaller stronger?

They changed the hypoid angle of the gear teeth.

Quote:
Pinion offset decreased from 38.1mm to 20mm offering better ground clearance and higher efficiency
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Kevin
post #8 of 18 Old 01-08-2019, 11:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
They changed the hypoid angle of the gear teeth.
That's interesting that they managed to decrease hypoid offset and increase the strength. Traditionally a greater hypoid offset resulted in greater strength. That said, "traditional" gear technology was from the 1950s, so a lot has changed, and Dana really has been upping the game since the introduction of the JK/Superduty axles. If you look at the latest and greatest Superduty stuff, it really is impressive what they're putting in only a 3/4 ton truck.

Too bad the JL is ugly. It honestly seems like a decent platform. Once you weld all the brackets onto the frame correctly, that is.

2011 JK Unlimited. It's orange. I've been told it's 'Ugly as sin' by somebody on Facebook. - SOLD
2018 JK Unlimited Rubicon. It's tan.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 06:33 AM
Rock God

I was out with a friend yesterday. The first thing i noticed on his JL is that the C’s were relatively huge. Axle shafts looked a touch bigger, too.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
I was out with a friend yesterday. The first thing i noticed on his JL is that the C’s were relatively huge. Axle shafts looked a touch bigger, too.
and those larger Cs weigh no- more than the JKs less beefy version ; they’re aluminum iirc

post #11 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 07:05 AM
Rock God

If they are aluminum, I wonder how they mate them to the tubes...
Not an expert, but one of the things I've always heard about aluminum is that it doesn't react well with pretty much any other metal.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Rock God

Pretty sure the inner-C is steel and it's the knuckle that is aluminum.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Pretty sure the inner-C is steel and it's the knuckle that is aluminum.
I am an idiot ; I swear I meant that it was the knuckles but ...hectic week is my excuse & I am stickin' to it...

post #14 of 18 Old 01-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
I am an idiot ; I swear I meant that it was the knuckles but ...hectic week is my excuse & I am stickin' to it...

No arguments there

2012 JKU Rubicon - Build Thread -
post #15 of 18 Old 01-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Rock God

Well, the C’s were silver, so I would have thought they were aluminum, if anything was. I could be wrong, though.
post #16 of 18 Old 01-12-2019, 05:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Someone can correct my impressions here, but thereÂ’s a video on You tube regarding a JLUR regear to 4.88. The pinion was tiny compared to the stock 4.10. They attempted to explain the strength advantage of the JL gears vs JK, but the JL gears look like a JK Dana 30. Not convinced.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Someone can correct my impressions here, but thereÂ’s a video on You tube regarding a JLUR regear to 4.88. The pinion was tiny compared to the stock 4.10.
If you take an axle and increase the numerical gear ratio, the pinion always gets smaller, it has to to achieve the new ratio. Even if you take a D80 axle, a 5.13 pinion will appear tiny compared to a 4.10 pinion for the same axle.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-13-2019, 08:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Someone can correct my impressions here, but thereÂ’s a video on You tube regarding a JLUR regear to 4.88. The pinion was tiny compared to the stock 4.10. They attempted to explain the strength advantage of the JL gears vs JK, but the JL gears look like a JK Dana 30. Not convinced.
There's far more to the strength of a gear than just its size. Most gear failures are caused by the gears deflecting from each other, and the contact pattern riding farther up the teeth until it finally breaks them off. You can make a really small gear set survive if you can control these things, such as by adding a third pinion (snout) bearing, or a load control bolt or thrust bearing for the carrier, however these are not solutions Dana has employed. The ability of pinon bearings and body to prevent the pinion head from deflecting is huge, yet not terribly apparent by just looking at the gears. This is where most of the later gen Dana axles saw big upgrades, the pinion itself is thicker through the whole body, and the bearings are larger. Also, the carrier side bearings, strength of the carrier itself, and the strength of the whole housing also play heavily into this. Again, all things that were upgraded, although some of these had good aftermarket solutions in traditional axles. What's really changed is how they've cut the gears, as they changed the hypoid offset, and I really don't know what they've done there, but I'm sure it's better just on the basis that the old offset was based on 1950s (at best) technology. How the gears were cut did change from the regular D30/D44 to the JK variants, and it appears to have worked in the real world, but they did not play with the hypoid offset at that time.

2011 JK Unlimited. It's orange. I've been told it's 'Ugly as sin' by somebody on Facebook. - SOLD
2018 JK Unlimited Rubicon. It's tan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode