• 1 Post By HRDRAWK
  • 1 Post By rockystock
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-12-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

MUD!

Hi all. I've been doing a lot of desert driving over the last few years but just returned from my first trip after some heavy rain. Lots of mud made for some incredibly fun wheeling, but my rig came back absolutely caked in cement like mud. As I worked on getting it all cleaned up (after the obligatory drive around town), it occurred to me that there could be some mechanical ramifications for getting stuff so gummed up. For those that have done a lot of mudding, is there anything in particular I should be concerned about or paying attention to?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Whatever the required maintenance might be, I'm pretty sure it was worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-12-2018, 05:58 PM
Wheeler

Axle boots, brake pads and rotors. Virtually anywhere water can get so will mud. But the above mentioned is what I’d take care of first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 20 Old 12-12-2018, 06:14 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynepriddy View Post
Axle boots, brake pads and rotors. Virtually anywhere water can get so will mud. But the above mentioned is what I’d take care of first.

Where be the axle boot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Wheeler

Lol, I had my rzr in mind. Brain fart, my ATVs and rzr is what I take mudding. Sorry bud.

post #5 of 20 Old 12-12-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks very much. by "take care of" do we just mean hosing off the mud? or are other measures necessary? I spent damn near twenty bucks in the coin op spray down bay and still wound up with a wheelbarrow full of mud in my driveway.
rockystock likes this.

Last edited by HRDRAWK; 12-12-2018 at 08:38 PM.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-12-2018, 11:16 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

That sounds about right. I reach under the jeep with a pressure washer and hit the general areas first. Then I use the garden hose hand sprayer to blast directly into all available frame holes and other body and fender crevices. Its amazing how much mud that gas tank skid can hold. I recently dropped my gas tank for some mods and couldnt even see the top of my fuel pump with all the hardened mud on top. Also try to blast down into the front brake rotors to flush mud out from inside the vented center sections. Be careful not to blast water straight at the calipers or ball joint boots.

About every four trail rides, I like to get a can of radiator coil cleaner and carefully clean the crud off the radiators. Sometimes Ill unscrew the fan and run a special metal hose attachment down behind the radiator to back-flush.

In general, mud tends to shorten the life of anything that has a boot with grease inside. Recommend planning to replace most greased joints earlier than for on-highway use. Replace with aftermarket greasable joints so you can possibly add some grease after mudding to flush out any dirt/water that may have gone inside. My stock ball joints didnt last long after I started wheeling (and east TN wheeling always includes mud, even on the driest days).

Also check your diff fluids to be sure you didn't get water in them. Also wouldn't hurt to check your TC and trans fluid.
waynepriddy likes this.

Last edited by rockystock; 12-12-2018 at 11:22 PM.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-13-2018, 04:19 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

fuck mud.

I hates it , precious...yes, it doesss...

radiator backwards from engine bay
Top of fuel tank
inside each frame-rail , front to back
Caliper assemblies ,rotors and dustshields plus inside / back of wheels ( close attention
needs to be paid to your tire to wheel lip/bead ; if you were aired down in low digits on non-beadlock , it's easier than spit to have accumulated debris between those surfaces which results in slow leaks of air. )

purge every grease fitting thoroughly

This is ironic post because I'm currently trying to re-design my 4 door crawler to a newer level of mud deterrent ...where I live it could be sunny and dry rocks but within 15 min could turn to a slick , damage-likely quagmire of horror so this topic is close to my thoughts.

I missed two wheeling trips w/ my club this Fall due to torrential rains & am tired of that happening. Mud is the enemy. Fuck mud.

rockystock likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I want to move west just to get away from the mud... But TN is home sweet home.

The newer "maintenance-free" control arm and track bar joints from Metalcloak, Synergy, (RK too?) look real good. If I ever get the Jeep out of the garage I'm going to put them to the test... Still have ball joints, u-joints, rod ends, unit bearings etc. to maintain, but at least some joints should fare better.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
I want to move west just to get away from the mud... But TN is home sweet home.

The newer "maintenance-free" control arm and track bar joints from Metalcloak, Synergy, (RK too?) look real good. If I ever get the Jeep out of the garage I'm going to put them to the test... Still have ball joints, u-joints, rod ends, unit bearings etc. to maintain, but at least some joints should fare better.

yup
I have livd between here (TN) & Georgia most of my life since teens...I am trying to get my wife & two kids to move out to Utah or Colorado or Nevada ....anyplace that has dry freaking grippy stuff. I am not joking!

I run the Synergy control arms all around ; they have the DDB bushings you mention. Now that they are a few years old they are exactly the same as the day I put them on & I am not easy on the jeep suspension. You do not loose any range of motion compared to JJs and if in unlikely event you ever do have to replace ( or upgrade; I changed my Synergy Trackbars to the frame-side DDB bushings , too...) them, you just press 'em in and out. There was a thread on here that a guy who drove a set of Synergy Mfg CAs all the way across Africa and the Sahara and when seeing them after that masive journey they looked new still. They are as advertised.

I am pretty sure the metal cloak ones are awesome as well; but you do have to apply some high quality spermacetti on them every year or so....but they appear to be quite bendy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 04:19 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

I agree Fuck Mud!

Where I live mud is of course everywhere and it never fails when you're stopping for gas some meth head always asks...…."ya had that thang in tha mud?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 08:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
And finding mud in Moab - good luck with that. (Well actually I know ONE trail that if you go during or right after a big rain (which is rare) you can get mud on your TIRES!!!! But if you wait a couple of hours, you will be shit out of luck!)
Maybe this was just an unlucky spot in Moab? I figured everywhere was like this in Moab after a rain storm. And this was just a basic gravel road not a trail. My friend's car couldn't even go down this hill it'd just spin out and go off the road immediately upon starting. This was cement half-hour at the pressure washer for both of us.

post #12 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 10:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
My friend's car couldn't even go down this hill it'd just spin out and go off the road immediately upon starting.
Without a doubt some of the slickest damn mud I ever been on. Just like drivin' on ice. Kicked off both air lockers to try to anchor myself on the road bed with a non-spinnin' tire on each end and just eased on along in low gear.

And in a turd-floatin' downpour to boot.

Fuckin' miserable.

Just went back into town and holed up at Woody's Tavern for a 12-pack or so.

I'm the President of The White Trash of the Elwood Chapter ... and you ain't.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
What is mud? I think I saw some years ago. There is a "mud hole" or two on a couple of my regular CO trails that have not had water in them for years, maybe decades for all I know! And finding mud in Moab - good luck with that. (Well actually I know ONE trail that if you go during or right after a big rain (which is rare) you can get mud on your TIRES!!!! But if you wait a couple of hours, you will be shit out of luck!)

Going to Sand Hollow next month, but alas, I am not hopeful that I will see mud there either.

We're friends but I'm just gonna go ahead and put this
right here :

...you over-there w/ your Holy Cross trail system and legal cannabinoids....and no mud....

post #14 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
I agree Fuck Mud!

Where I live mud is of course everywhere and it never fails when you're stopping for gas some meth head always asks...…."ya had that thang in tha mud?"

right?

post #15 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by christensent View Post
Maybe this was just an unlucky spot in Moab? I figured everywhere was like this in Moab after a rain storm. And this was just a basic gravel road not a trail. My friend's car couldn't even go down this hill it'd just spin out and go off the road immediately upon starting. This was cement half-hour at the pressure washer for both of us.

That's the stuff. Actually , that would be a light , South Tennessee, Alabama into West Georgia clay-based mud. That is slick and nasty but it ain't the slop w/ organic decomposing plant matter mixed in and rotten that not just looks like cow-sh*t but smells like it ,too....I'd say 50% of the group monthly rides this year had that or worse once we arrived ,desiring rocks.

( Side note: a friend gifted me a shirt colored w that Moab red dirt ...it's cool . )

I don't wanna talk about mud no more . It's raining outside as I type this so no wheeling this weekend, either....sigh

post #16 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Going to Sand Hollow next month, but alas, I am not hopeful that I will see mud there either.
Are you going for Winter Jam? I have been the past couple of years. The first year it rained, and rained, and rained some more. However, the mud was not awful. Last year, it was dry, until the last day. Then it snowed. The mud that day literally took months to all get washed out.

Overall, I am a fan of Sand Hollow.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Here's a mud collage I have made for y'all.

The name is ironic 'cause these were all taken on different, DRY trail days ( altho' from various years ). Look it's sunny in each.

ridiculous.

DJ1 likes this.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-15-2018 at 05:31 AM. Reason: grammar spelling
post #18 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 07:11 PM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
Here's a mud collage I have made for y'all.

The name is ironic 'cause these were all taken on different, DRY trail days ( altho' from various years ). Look it's sunny in each.

ridiculous.

Your rear axles seals must love you. Mud splash is one thing but I try to avoid deep mud at all costs these days. After changing out 3 rear axle seals, been there done that...
post #19 of 20 Old 12-14-2018, 09:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Yes, I am. First time to Sand Hollow. Kind of burnt out on Moab. Looking for something new. Are you going? Hope it doesn't rain.
Yes, I think it will be my fifth time there. It is similar to EJS, but not so big, the trails may not be as long, but there is still plenty of fun to be had.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-15-2018, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
Your rear axles seals must love you. Mud splash is one thing but I try to avoid deep mud at all costs these days. After changing out 3 rear axle seals, been there done that...

ya know what?
Except for both, different times when WOD installed OX & gears
in rear & when I installed the TORQLocker up front , the seals have only been changed once since 2011; and I have removed/reinstalled shafts countless times. I don't even run outter seals up front. Never any mud in housings 🤔

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode