LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 45 Old 11-15-2018, 01:53 PM
Rock God

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 45 Old 11-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I appreciate the video (with no scientific evidence or explanation) but in it you state the gears have the same amount of teeth but your website itself displays a different pinion tooth count for 4.88's and 5.38's which is expected. Then she also says this 5.38 gear ratio is made for that 37" tire and we should trust the manufacturer. I think that is a crap statement because the reality is the Jeeps have D44's because they only have 32" tires from the manufacturer and the real need to change gears was meant to adjust load/rpm's based on the manufacturer tire. Just because we love to shove 37" tires onto it doesn't mean that a D44 intended to ever have a tire that large which is why they make D60's and larger. The pinion diameter isn't the issue and I have never heard of someone snapping that, it's the strength of the teeth based upon amount of teeth and contact angles which is why D60's have a larger ring gear and is stronger.

Then she says the major rumor is this pinion is smaller than this one and it simply isn't the case (without a breath she says) Yes it is slightly smaller LOL (sorry but that cracked me up) Smaller =less metal and if it is the same substance it means it is weaker. But the bigger reason is due to torque, tooth contact, angle as outlined below

From Pirate 4x4
"Deep gears are weaker than tall gears. There are probably exceptions when comparing two gears of similar ratio, like a 4.88 and 5.13.

First, ignore the number of teeth. The gear ratio is the difference in diameters of the ring and pinion (I forget if its called base or root or whatever). So, small pinion, deep gears right?

Now, lets look at what the pinion is doing. It takes a certain amount of torque from the t-case and pushes against the ring gear, resulting in a force at the contact point. Now think leverage, a bigger pinion will have more leverage AND THE FORCE AT THE CONTACT POINT WILL BE LOWER!

So, a smaller pinion has less leverage (smaller diameter) and causes higher forces on both pinion and ring gear teeth.

Second, we are talking about a hypoid gear that engages more than one tooth at the same time. More teeth and a larger diameter increase the "contact area" between gears, reducing wear.

Third, there is tooth size. Lets look at Spicer sets for a Dana 44. I would view these as well-engineered gears.

ratio R P

4.11 45 11
4.88 44 9
5.38 43 8

The ratio tells us the comparative size of the base circles, so the ring on the 5.38 is biggger than the 4.88 (duh). But it takes fewer teeth (43) to go around this bigger circle, so the teeth must be bigger than on the 4.88.

The pinion has torque, got it. Imagine we put a wrench on the pinion nut and are trying to keep it from turning, small pinion is like a standard wrench, big pinion is like putting a cheater on the wrench, you push less (lower force) for same torque.

The physics is that torque is force times distance. The torque is the same in both cases. With a small pinion, we have less distance, so the force has to be bigger."

My question is - More force on the same diameter part means it will be under more stress to do the same job, hence more likely to break a 5.38 before the 4.88. Isn't than the definition of Weaker????
DJ1 likes this.

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit

Last edited by Riptide9; 11-15-2018 at 03:32 PM.
post #28 of 45 Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I wish someone would build a bench test jig, the same way RCV tests their shafts, or ARB has tested the strength of their cases so we could finally see exactly how much torque it takes to break each ring gear set. At the end of the day, it still comes down to how you drive it. If you have a heavy foot and a stubborn will, youíre going to be more prone to break things.
Riptide9 likes this.

Current vehicles:
2007 Sahara 2-Door
5.38 gears
Trussed, sleeved, gusseted Dana 44 front w/ factory Rubi locker and RCV shafts
Stock rear Rubi Dana 44 with Auburn Ected locker w/ 35 spline chromoly shafts
6 Speed
2.5 Rock Krawler X Factor System w/ Bilstein 5100 shocks
17X9.5 Spyderlock Beadlocks
37X12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
F&R AEV Bumpers w/ AEV rear tire carrier
JCR Stage 2 rock rails
Warn Zeon 10-S winch

2010 Jeep SRT8 w/ 440 stroker making 550 whp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 45 Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsukey View Post
I wish someone would build a bench test jig, the same way RCV tests their shafts, or ARB has tested the strength of their cases so we could finally see exactly how much torque it takes to break each ring gear set. At the end of the day, it still comes down to how you drive it. If you have a heavy foot and a stubborn will, youíre going to be more prone to break things.
all valid points of consideration but you omit critical,more granular factors such as the treatment of the ring gear ( cry'oed? Heat treated ) not to mention the previously referenced gear mesh / backlash the installer found they were w/in spec for , other elements such as lubrication , shaft harmonics , xfer case , et.al..I can go on ....

There's more at play but I think you are right; anyone can break something. 😉

Riptide9 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #30 of 45 Old 11-16-2018, 05:00 PM
Rock God

She stated that the rumor is generally that the pinion head on a 5.38 is "MUCH" smaller & and that isnt the case, yes, it is "SLIGHTLY" smaller...but not enough to call into question strength.

The D44 JK Pinions on all 3 ratios made by Nitro Gear 4.88-5.38 have 8 Teeth - The tooth count contact is 4 at any given time, we looked...of course give or take a little variance on that 4th tooth in contact in relation to "how much contact" you're talking. While the Dana 44 was not "designed" with 37s in mind, that is what the aftermarket world has adapted to. When it comes to the literally 10s of thousands of JK gears we've sold, we've never seen somebody shear teeth SOLELY due to 5.38 ratio while running a 37" tire. That only seems to happen with JK owners who have given it a new & much high HP motor.
post #31 of 45 Old 11-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdifferentials View Post
She stated that the rumor is generally that the pinion head on a 5.38 is "MUCH" smaller & and that isnt the case, yes, it is "SLIGHTLY" smaller...but not enough to call into question strength.

The D44 JK Pinions on all 3 ratios made by Nitro Gear 4.88-5.38 have 8 Teeth - The tooth count contact is 4 at any given time, we looked....
Should have looked harder because like I posted earlier... they don't

Name:  Nike-3000.png
Views: 206
Size:  22.5 KB Name:  Nike-3002.png
Views: 210
Size:  25.5 KB

And there are a ton of people that have sheared 5.38's on 37's with a D44 and you don't even need to do a search on the forum to find the hundreds of times it has happened... just look at post 16 of this thread for one example:

Quote from post 16 "I ran 5.38 on 37's for about 6 years without issue. I first broke a rear ring and pinion towing a small ski boat to the lake not far from home. Then I'd randomly brake a rear ring and pinion every 6 months afterward. The third time, the ring bolts backed out and completely sheared off, grenading the rear axle from inside."

Granted , anytime someone decides to go to 37's or larger on a Dana44 they are asking for something to break doesn't matter if your on 4.11's or 5.38's because those tires are too large for the axle and I know "people do it all the time with no issues" but it comes down to how you wheel. Because the larger tire creates more torque in the same stress situation as a 35, a 37 will be more likely to cause a breakage (just like a breaker bar on a rusted bolt). Same as you increase the torque by re-gearing, the engine doesn't work as hard (like your arm on a breaker bar). But the force on the gear teeth or other parts increases (like the bolt that the breaker bar is trying to turn). That little crappy 3.8 is more than capable of twisting drive shafts and breaking axles as there are thousands of videos on YouTube showing JK's doing just that.

I agree with the statement that a 5.38 gear usually recommended for tire sizes 40 and up... but let's be honest that statement "usually" means for a D60 or larger because no one truly "recommends" a 37+ tire for a D44 and the only reason people do it is because they don't want to spend a crap ton on D60's and want to try to get away with it. If you baby it you can do it, those that don't end up getting D60's. If the Jeep came with D60's you certainly wouldn't have anyone switching to a D44 for 37's to gain a little more clearance or lighten the load LOL

2011 Jeep Rubicon JKU 6.0l VORTEC L96 - 6L80E 6 speed auto
40" Cooper SST Pros-17" Level 8's - 4.5" Synergy Suspension
WTO Hydro assist- Fusion D60's 4.88 gears
VKS Fab and XRC Bumpers/Armor-9500 Synthetic Winch 10lb CO2-Teraflex Big Brake Kit
post #32 of 45 Old 11-20-2018, 04:09 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
5.13 , 5.38 and 4.88

I'm in a similar boat. I have a 08 JKU auto on 35's with 3.73. it's my daily and I drive the shit out of it, 50-60 ish miles a day just in my work commute. several of the shops in and around OKC have priced out re-gearing and locking up my D30 front and 44 rear for around $3500-$4000. every time they ask wut gear ratio I ask about 5.13 because of the slushbox auto, every shop has suggested 4.88's. but on most forums, most opinions lean towards 5.13s or 5.38s regardless of tire size (35 or 37s). So I guess I'm still on the fence about wut gear ratio to pick since I drive it a lot the 4.88s and sticking with 35s may be a safe bet (lots of highway) . shit, I guess if I go to 4.88 and don't like it 1. it will still be better than the 3.73 and 2. its only money right they print more every day.

Do no harm but take NO SHIT
post #33 of 45 Old 11-20-2018, 05:58 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut707 View Post
I'm in a similar boat. I have a 08 JKU auto on 35's with 3.73. it's my daily and I drive the shit out of it, 50-60 ish miles a day just in my work commute. several of the shops in and around OKC have priced out re-gearing and locking up my D30 front and 44 rear for around $3500-$4000. every time they ask wut gear ratio I ask about 5.13 because of the slushbox auto, every shop has suggested 4.88's. but on most forums, most opinions lean towards 5.13s or 5.38s regardless of tire size (35 or 37s). So I guess I'm still on the fence about wut gear ratio to pick since I drive it a lot the 4.88s and sticking with 35s may be a safe bet (lots of highway) . shit, I guess if I go to 4.88 and don't like it 1. it will still be better than the 3.73 and 2. its only money right they print more every day.
I believe 5.13ís would be perfect for you with your auto and 35ís. I personally wouldnít even bother with trying to beef up your Dana 30 if you intend to wheel it. Save that money and throw it at a Dana 44 or even a PR44. Just try to imagine where you want your Jeep to end up, and aim at that goal. You will save yourself a heep of money in the long run!

I would definitely look at a reputable shop to do that. $3500-$4000 for just gears and a front locker sounds high. You didnít mention what kind of locker, whether or not you were doing a rear locker and/or chromo shafts, and if you already had a tuner to recalibrate your speedo though. You wonít need a new front carrier since youíre already running 3.73. Off the top of my head, you should well under $3000 total for front and rear ring and pinion, master overhaul kits, a quality locker like ARB or Ected, and labor. With Black Friday this week, look for shops that are running specials.
Donut707 likes this.

Current vehicles:
2007 Sahara 2-Door
5.38 gears
6 Speed
JCR Stage 2 rock rails
Warn Zeon 10-S winch

post #34 of 45 Old 11-20-2018, 10:07 AM
Rock God

I think it is nuts to spend $4k on gear install (specially putting more money on a D30)...but that is another discussion.

5.13s with 37s and auto is the sweet spot. I had it in my rig and it did very well as far as offroad and road manners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #35 of 45 Old 11-20-2018, 12:20 PM
JKO Addict!

For what it’s worth, I’ve run 37s and 5.38 Yukon gears in my ‘09 JKUR automatic for the last 45,000 miles with no issues whatsoever. I originally installed 4.88s and the combination was the suck with 37s. I’m in mountainous SW Colorado at 7500 ft. I’m 3 hours from Moab and am over there on the trails probably ten trips a year. With 37s and 5.38s higheay cruising rpms are virtually identical to stock. For a 3.8L and 37s it’s a near perfect match. If you plan to stay with 35s go 5.13s. If you go 37s later they’ll still be acceptable.
Donut707 likes this.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 11-20-2018 at 09:34 PM.
post #36 of 45 Old 11-27-2018, 03:32 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsukey View Post
I believe 5.13ís would be perfect for you with your auto and 35ís. I personally wouldnít even bother with trying to beef up your Dana 30 if you intend to wheel it. Save that money and throw it at a Dana 44 or even a PR44. Just try to imagine where you want your Jeep to end up, and aim at that goal. You will save yourself a heep of money in the long run!

I would definitely look at a reputable shop to do that. $3500-$4000 for just gears and a front locker sounds high. You didnít mention what kind of locker, whether or not you were doing a rear locker and/or chromo shafts, and if you already had a tuner to recalibrate your speedo though. You wonít need a new front carrier since youíre already running 3.73. Off the top of my head, you should well under $3000 total for front and rear ring and pinion, master overhaul kits, a quality locker like ARB or Ected, and labor. With Black Friday this week, look for shops that are running specials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
I think it is nuts to spend $4k on gear install (specially putting more money on a D30)...but that is another discussion.

5.13s with 37s and auto is the sweet spot. I had it in my rig and it did very well as far as offroad and road manners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
For what itís worth, Iíve run 37s and 5.38 Yukon gears in my Ď09 JKUR automatic for the last 45,000 miles with no issues whatsoever. I originally installed 4.88s and the combination was the suck with 37s. Iím in mountainous SW Colorado at 7500 ft. Iím 3 hours from Moab and am over there on the trails probably ten trips a year. With 37s and 5.38s higheay cruising rpms are virtually identical to stock. For a 3.8L and 37s itís a near perfect match. If you plan to stay with 35s go 5.13s. If you go 37s later theyíll still be acceptable.

Thanks for all the input. I agree with everyone's points that's mostly why I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet. I did go to multiple shops in the OKC metro, the quote on the higher end included Eaton e-locker, full axle rebuilds, and sleeving and adding gussets the D30. I did get another quote for $1500 for just gears. I did just change out the factory fenders to steel ones so now I have all kinds of room for 37s, so I'm leaning towards the 5.13s/5.38 again and not the 4.88s. but like everyone has said throwing money at the D30 is ungood. shit its only money right they print more every day
Attached Images

post #37 of 45 Old 11-27-2018, 04:25 AM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide9 View Post
I appreciate the video (with no scientific evidence or explanation) but in it you state the gears have the same amount of teeth but your website itself displays a different pinion tooth count for 4.88's and 5.38's which is expected. Then she also says this 5.38 gear ratio is made for that 37" tire and we should trust the manufacturer. I think that is a crap statement because the reality is the Jeeps have D44's because they only have 32" tires from the manufacturer and the real need to change gears was meant to adjust load/rpm's based on the manufacturer tire. Just because we love to shove 37" tires onto it doesn't mean that a D44 intended to ever have a tire that large which is why they make D60's and larger. The pinion diameter isn't the issue and I have never heard of someone snapping that, it's the strength of the teeth based upon amount of teeth and contact angles which is why D60's have a larger ring gear and is stronger.

Then she says the major rumor is this pinion is smaller than this one and it simply isn't the case (without a breath she says) Yes it is slightly smaller LOL (sorry but that cracked me up) Smaller =less metal and if it is the same substance it means it is weaker. But the bigger reason is due to torque, tooth contact, angle as outlined below

From Pirate 4x4
"Deep gears are weaker than tall gears. There are probably exceptions when comparing two gears of similar ratio, like a 4.88 and 5.13.

First, ignore the number of teeth. The gear ratio is the difference in diameters of the ring and pinion (I forget if its called base or root or whatever). So, small pinion, deep gears right?

Now, lets look at what the pinion is doing. It takes a certain amount of torque from the t-case and pushes against the ring gear, resulting in a force at the contact point. Now think leverage, a bigger pinion will have more leverage AND THE FORCE AT THE CONTACT POINT WILL BE LOWER!

So, a smaller pinion has less leverage (smaller diameter) and causes higher forces on both pinion and ring gear teeth.

Second, we are talking about a hypoid gear that engages more than one tooth at the same time. More teeth and a larger diameter increase the "contact area" between gears, reducing wear.

Third, there is tooth size. Lets look at Spicer sets for a Dana 44. I would view these as well-engineered gears.

ratio R P

4.11 45 11
4.88 44 9
5.38 43 8

The ratio tells us the comparative size of the base circles, so the ring on the 5.38 is biggger than the 4.88 (duh). But it takes fewer teeth (43) to go around this bigger circle, so the teeth must be bigger than on the 4.88.

The pinion has torque, got it. Imagine we put a wrench on the pinion nut and are trying to keep it from turning, small pinion is like a standard wrench, big pinion is like putting a cheater on the wrench, you push less (lower force) for same torque.

The physics is that torque is force times distance. The torque is the same in both cases. With a small pinion, we have less distance, so the force has to be bigger."

My question is - More force on the same diameter part means it will be under more stress to do the same job, hence more likely to break a 5.38 before the 4.88. Isn't than the definition of Weaker????

This is a great post. Much along the lines of I what I was showing on the recent high pinion thread because like we've both mentioned, and what others on Pirate have mentioned, larger pinion head equates to more contact mesh to the ring gear regardless if it's a standard cut or reverse cut setup.

I've referenced this link also in that same HP Rear Axle thread...

---> TrueHi9 - Gear Page

It's all right there for those who want to read and actually understand it. He even shows how there is more tooth contact with the fatter pinion head. A fat 5.14 Hi9 pinion on a 9" Ford Ring gear has more tooth contact than a HP D60 in 5.13 thus is more stronger.

More tooth contact means more teeth to handle the torque load
Riptide9 likes this.
post #38 of 45 Old 11-27-2018, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

I would not run 37's on a 08 automatic with a stock 3.8. 5.38 gears and 35's would be the set up for a mild trail rig. That tansmission is just bad.
Donut707 likes this.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #39 of 45 Old 11-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'd really like to drive a jeep with 5.13s or 5.38s and 35 just to see no shit how it is...

post #40 of 45 Old 11-27-2018, 12:21 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
I'd really like to drive a jeep with 5.13s or 5.38s and 35 just to see no shit how it is...
Iím just a couple of hours south of you. I know you want to try it with an automatic though.
Donut707 likes this.

Current vehicles:
2007 Sahara 2-Door
5.38 gears
6 Speed
JCR Stage 2 rock rails
Warn Zeon 10-S winch

post #41 of 45 Old 11-27-2018, 04:41 PM

I am intrigued. I have been running 4.88s with a manual on 33s, 35s and 37s and I am still looking for more legs on the road. I think I would pull my hair out if I was running 5.38s. Waiting on my 39s to show then I THINK I will be happy on and off road
post #42 of 45 Old 11-28-2018, 06:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
I would not run 37's on a 08 automatic with a stock 3.8. 5.38 gears and 35's would be the set up for a mild trail rig. That tansmission is just bad.
I'm at 6 years and 50k miles with 5:38s, 37s and a 3.8L auto. No issues whatsoever. Dropped the trans pan last year for regular maintenance, no ebris in the pan, etc. Secret is keeping it cool. The 3.8L automatics need more cooler capacity. Well documented, easy fix.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #43 of 45 Old 11-28-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I was thinking about 5:13ís in my 2008 automatic with 35ís. But may be leaning more towards 4:88ís. And putting the 5:13ís in my 2004 with the 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #44 of 45 Old 11-28-2018, 09:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Press the OD/Off button.

Using the rpm charts that you can find everywhere: 3.8 Auto, 3.73, 34" tires (guessing at the measured height of your 35's?), and a .69 OD ratio.

1781 rpm @ 70 3.73, OD On
2581 rpm @ 70 3.73, OD Off ( 2581 / .69 )
2569 rpm @ 70 5.38, OD On

So, by the numbers, pressing that button should give you a decent impression of where you would be with 5.38's. Which, looking at the chart, would be roughly 120 rpm higher than 5.13's. And 5.13's would be about 120rpm higher than 4.88's. By all means find someone with those ratios and drive their jeeps if possible, but in a pinch, od/off...
post #45 of 45 Old 11-29-2018, 03:35 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJK View Post
Press the OD/Off button.

Using the rpm charts that you can find everywhere: 3.8 Auto, 3.73, 34" tires (guessing at the measured height of your 35's?), and a .69 OD ratio.

1781 rpm @ 70 3.73, OD On
2581 rpm @ 70 3.73, OD Off ( 2581 / .69 )
2569 rpm @ 70 5.38, OD On

So, by the numbers, pressing that button should give you a decent impression of where you would be with 5.38's. Which, looking at the chart, would be roughly 120 rpm higher than 5.13's. And 5.13's would be about 120rpm higher than 4.88's. By all means find someone with those ratios and drive their jeeps if possible, but in a pinch, od/off...
it has become a habit to turn off the overdrive. I start the jeep reach down and turn it off and go on my way. so the jeep runs 70-80 mph down the highway at 2500-3000 rpm as the chart says. The issue is the jeep is slooooow. I know it's not a hotrod and I'm not going to win any stop light to stop light races, but I want it to get out of its own way with a little better, and just have a better performance and driveability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode