How bad are BFG Krawler KX's as street tires? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 11-09-2018, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

How bad are BFG Krawler KX's as street tires?

Are these tires just ad for any street driving?

What is the issue? That they are soft and wear out quick (and are expensive)?

They have low speed ratings. Can live with 75 in a jeep.

Can I still drive it three hours each way to the trail and back?

What if i drive it once a week to work?

Thant kind of thing.

Trailer jeeps only? Period. (?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 11-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

I put a few thousand miles on a set of 39” blue labels (DOT) with a lot of hwy driving at or above 75mph in a fairly heavy (5,700 lb) JKU.

No complaints about noise or wear but could not get them even close to being balanced. Tried everything from no balance media, ball media, stick on, etc.

Gave up and went to Nitto 40’s on the same beadlocks with no balance media at all and no vibes.

Last edited by cjindna; 11-09-2018 at 09:31 PM.
post #3 of 44 Old 11-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

that balacing thing and you'll wear them out pretty fast drivin on the hills and twisty asphalt to your trails. I have guys in my club that run them on their buggies and while they could, it would waste the rubber for true road mileage drivin in such a rock oriented tire.

I cant speak to the blue labels but I have not seen any significant street mileage from any KX before

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 11-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Granite Guru

Red labels are comp compound - super soft, I personally wouldn’t put any serious road miles on them

Blues are DOT approved compound of the otherwise same tire
post #5 of 44 Old 11-10-2018, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

^ Nuc's input checks-out/sounds spoton

Fwiw,
I've been at OPs junction b4.

Here we can all witness in the wild ,the exact time when yet another JKOwner finds himself situated between practicality
& the perks of becoming a trailer queen, heh.

it's just an observation but in my exp , that when u reach the wheelin level of, " hmm can I still drive on the road w/ this installed..." regarding your next considered upgrades , it pretty quickly then moves to thinkin' it'll all be easier & not of concern we're ya able to just tow the thing to trails.

I got (super) lucky & the wifey just happened to need a new vehicle...it wasnt too great a stretch or too sneaky to aim her at one that just happened to have
4,x4 ,a HEMI & over 11k towing capacity...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 11-10-2018 at 06:30 AM.
post #6 of 44 Old 11-10-2018, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks for the feedback on the Krawlers folks. it makes a lot more sense now that you guys have added some color to the picture. I'll skip them.

I'm going UD60s so with that comes new wheels and tire ambitions.

I've been pretty happy with the Nitto TG 37s until now. They are getting old and have lost their grip up the buggy line.

I'm not quite ready for 39s or 40s because I want to take my time trimming and am thinking to wear out a set of 38's before going larger.

I've had MTRs in both 35 and 37 and they were amazing on rocks. but then i got death wobble and it wasn't until I replaced them that I got rid of the DW. They too were hard to keep balanced and triggered (not caused) the DW.

Still, with the Krawlers off the list, I am down to:
Patagonia 38x13.50x17
MTR 38x14.5x17
post #7 of 44 Old 11-11-2018, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I've heard lots of good things about the Milestar 38"ers.

(edit: meant to add how jealous I am of the UD60s. That's very cool for you , dude!)

post #8 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 12:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Big fan of the MTRs. Didnt have any issues with keeping them balanced. I guess my shop had better weights?

post #9 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
in case this is at all helpful...……….
Yo tengo hinchazon. Pasa me el cilantro. Yo quiero Taco Bell.
post #10 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Yo tengo hinchazon. Pasa me el cilantro. Yo quiero Taco Bell.
tienes hinchazon ¿Esto es del cilantro o de los neumáticos?

post #11 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 04:04 PM
DJ1
Rock God

hmmm....

debating if I should get the KM3's in 37 or roll the dice on the Patagonia in 38....

decisions, decisions...
White13JKUR likes this.
post #12 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
hmmm....

debating if I should get the KM3's in 37 or roll the dice on the Patagonia in 38....

decisions, decisions...
Im doing Patagonia 38s for this round. Going 40s next set of tires.
j3ff3ry_j33p and DJ1 like this.
post #13 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 07:06 PM
DJ1
Rock God

Quote:
Im doing Patagonia 38s for this round. Going 40s next set of tires.

You getting them on flea-bay?
post #14 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
You getting them on flea-bay?
Negative. Northridge
post #15 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
tienes hinchazon ¿Esto es del cilantro o de los neumáticos?

Ni una cosa o la otra. Pues, la rubia no es muy mala.
post #16 of 44 Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 PM
Wheeler

I’ve had good luck with my MTR’s but I’m pretty sure I want to try red label Krawlers next.

Did you get your UD60s yet? Let me know if you need any help installing them if you do them over Christmas break. They are bolt in but I would recommend running some beads on the brackets that aren’t welded on both sides. Some people also burn the tubes into the pumpkin to be safe.

Do you need wheels? I may be getting some new ones and might sell mine soon.
post #17 of 44 Old 11-13-2018, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Ni una cosa o la otra. Pues, la rubia no es muy mala.

sí. Ella podría usar un poco más de carne en sus huesos, pero eso es solo yo ...

post #18 of 44 Old 11-13-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruz16 View Post
I’ve had good luck with my MTR’s but I’m pretty sure I want to try red label Krawlers next.

Did you get your UD60s yet? Let me know if you need any help installing them if you do them over Christmas break. They are bolt in but I would recommend running some beads on the brackets that aren’t welded on both sides. Some people also burn the tubes into the pumpkin to be safe.

Do you need wheels? I may be getting some new ones and might sell mine soon.
Super close to being able to order the axles but not ordered yet. December is probably accurate for the ETA.

Northridge is saying that Dana identified bracket weld issues a while back and that remediation is already in production.

On the two reports that i saw of UD60 issues, one was a dude who twisted the tubes and the other is a dude that launched the jeep 90 feet into the air and snapped the tubes at the pumpkin. The guy who twisted tubes in the pumpkin, made bad choices that day.

I am in the minority as well in liking MTRs. Untill I battled DW, I liked them a lot. Undefeatable off road.

Tell me more about your wheels. I may be interested in running a used set temporarily. I want to run 37s or 38s for now and then 40s later. I would run the 40s with 3.5" BS and the others at 4". Let me know what you have in the 8x6.5 bolt pattern. Going to sell my TrailReady HD17s (17x8.5 - 5x5) soon with the Nitto 37s still on them and probably the wheel sensors.
post #19 of 44 Old 11-13-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Just my opinion, but I think the sierra Nevada mountains, the MTRs are not a bad choice. Tough as hell! Balance for shit, as you already know.

but in Moab, where traction is the key and toughness is a distance second, they suck big time. Moab demands a soft compound tire and MTRs are anything but soft!

Glad to hear you are messing with the scammers...………..they really suck. I made the mistake of googling "Microsoft tech support" years ago. Almost gave the asshole my credit card, until my scammer sense kicked in. Then I realized it was all bullshit.
What are folks running in Moab?

What kind of life does one get from street driving Krawlers? 5k miles? 10k miles? 20k miles? Is it different from that sports car that chews through soft tires?
post #20 of 44 Old 11-13-2018, 05:31 PM
JKO Addict!

You dont need to run anything special in Moab as traction is insane there. 33's and stock suspension will run 90% of the trails there in a JK.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #21 of 44 Old 11-13-2018, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I still want to know about how many miles to expect out of a set of Krawler KX's with lame 99% street driving. Sports cars with soft rubber chew through rubber fast and often twice as bad on a staggered rear size (assuming RWD). Are we talking worse than sports car bad?

Are the Krawlers 5k mile tires? 10k mile tires? 20k?

I lived with MTR balance issues. Are the KX's worse?
post #22 of 44 Old 11-14-2018, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

@Nucleophile

Thanks for the tire info makes sens at ~7,500 miles. My E46 street car (330i) chews through Michelin Pilot Sports in about 15k miles on the rears and 30 miles on the fronts. I ran the same size tire/wheel combo for a while and rotated them but that's a pain.
post #23 of 44 Old 11-14-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Northridge says that they have the black label Patagonias, which supposedly havwe a rubber compound in between BFG Krawler KX black and red labels and is still streetable.

Don't think I want to run another set of Nittos.

Decisions, decisions.

I don't think any of my local wheeling friends run MTRs so I expect ridicule and shame if I pick up a set of those.
post #24 of 44 Old 11-14-2018, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Indeed you can run 90% of the trails in Moab in a stock rubicon on 31s or 33s, especially if you take the bypasses for certain obstacles.

I was referring to the remaining 10% as well as NOT taking the f'ing bypasses. So I was referring to actually going up...….

Double Whammy on Golden Spike
the hard line on zuki hill on Golden Spike
Gatekeeper on Rusty Nail (and just about everything else on RN)
the Chute on Flat Iron Mesa
Widow Maker on Metal Masher
Rock Chucker on Metal Masher
High Dive on Behind the Rocks (this is actually a descent, but you better have some traction)
everything on Pritchett Canyon
and so on...………….

THESE are the obstacles (and many more) that demand more than your run-of-the-mill traction. Sure, you can do Moab in any tire in just about any half way built vehicle, but to truly conquer Moab, you better have some damn good tires and a well built rig that can climb. After more trips to Moab than I can count, I finally have a vehicle with the tires that can do all that.

So if the goal is to do 90% of Moab, any tire will do. If you want the last (and best) 10%, MTRs would not be my first choice. (And I have run them there on a TJ, JK and on my current truck. The Red Labels simply blow them away.)

As for what people run in Moab, well you name it, its been run in Moab. But my first hand experience either driving on or driving with someone on...……...MTRs, Cooper STT(?), KM2s, KO2s, Nitto, and others, I would have to say the KO2s were pretty darn competent. I think the smaller tread blocks helped them bite a little better on some of the tougher climbs. I was not impressed with the Coopers nor the Nittos. I run with a buggy on MTRs at about 5 or 6 psi and he does ok with them. I think you have to run MTRs below 10 psi to have any chance of climbing the hard shit.

As for a guess as to the life of a Red Label on the street...….I have to say that after a year of hard trail riding on my red labels, there is only a slight amount of wear. (Some people predicted I would only get one or two seasons out of them, that is way too pessimistic.) I think the comparison to a sports car eating soft tires is appropriate. On the track, I can eat a set of tires in two days. Or I can get 4 to 6 days out of a harder set of tires. I have seen guys blow thru some of the softest compound street tires in one day at the track. (Now our local track was especially hard on tires. It has since been repaved and people tell me tire life has gone up dramatically.)

This is just a guess, but a quasi educated guess. I would predict that red labels run on the street would last somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 miles. Anything beyond that would be hard to imagine. They are not gum ball soft like some of the competition track tires. But they are softer than street MT tires. I was surprised to see how soft the Patagonia tires were in the video when Kevin went at them with a screwdriver. (You guys were all forwarding past that part to get to the point where Britt was back on screen.) That is very similar to my Red Labels.

other than brand, this is completely left field to the question being asked but the BFG KO2s I had were as soft as that Mr. LiteBrite guy displays in the video ;BFG has some freaking magic compound where they are that gooey/pliable but simply do not wear like you'd expect. (I honestly think BFG has the know-how to produce a KR or KX that would not wear on the road but that was as soft as the competition tires but they know they'd sell one set per vehicle every 5-7 years if they released it, heh. )

My Yokohama G003s would probably get about 10-15k if I street drove them. They are super soft MTs , gripping like a crack-addict does a glass pipe.

I put about 600 miles on them in a year, about 300 on road then I realized I probably don't wanna run them, for great distances on tarmac.

post #25 of 44 Old 11-14-2018, 04:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Nuc said...”I was surprised to see how soft the Patagonia tires were in the video when Kevin went at them with a screwdriver. (You guys were all forwarding past that part to get to the point where Britt was back on screen.) That is very similar to my Red Labels.”

Me....There was a Jeep, tires or guy in that video?

Honestly I watched it all the way through. I will say informative. I do have to ask...what is with the lite brite stickers? 🤷‍♂️

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode