Dana 44 Oil Change Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-29-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Dana 44 Oil Change Question

Yesterday I changed the front and rear Dana 44 on my 08 Rubicon and i have a question.

The specs call for 2 quarts of fluid in each axle. However when i drained them, the back had 1.5 quarts and the front 1.

I inspected the ring and pinion gears and no damage on the teeth, no shavings etc.

At first i thought they had been improperly filled by the last owner but when i went to refill sure enough the back took 1.5qt plus 4oz anti slip and the front 1qt.

Should I leave them like that since they been like that with no damage for a while or should I buy a new cover with a higher drain plug?

I have a very mild 2.5" lift with 35's and i tried to compensate for the change in angle by doing it on my slanted driveway but there's no way I'm fitting 2 quarts in there.

Anyone got advice on this?
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Granite Guru

Fill to just below fill hole level. Oozing out is too much
post #3 of 9 Old 10-29-2018, 10:34 AM
Granite Guru

In stock diff cover. Aftermarket cover needs diff. Amount. Get it? Dif? Different? Differential? It's funny...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-29-2018, 11:04 AM
Rock God

Looks like you have a taller lift which has rotated your axles as well. That in itself will cause you to fill less fluid in there with the stock diffs. I recently did changed gear oil (granted a 30/44) and put in 1.35 and 2.35, respectively.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #5 of 9 Old 10-29-2018, 05:01 PM

The rubicon e-lockers don't require friction modifier.
Front JK Dana 44 = 1.35 quarts
Rear JK Dana 44 = 2.375 quarts
That's according to chrysler, I just changed the diff fluid in my 08 Rubi and it was pretty close to that amount with aftermarket diff covers.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-30-2018, 06:08 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmskyles View Post
The rubicon e-lockers don't require friction modifier.
Front JK Dana 44 = 1.35 quarts
Rear JK Dana 44 = 2.375 quarts
That's according to chrysler, I just changed the diff fluid in my 08 Rubi and it was pretty close to that amount with aftermarket diff covers.
^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^

Do not overfill ! You will have oil all over the place .

Damage to the seals is also possible , E:Lockers need no additive , they are electrically actuated mechanical lockers .

I can't tell you how many times I've seen a puddle of gear oil under the drivers side front of a Jeep , and the smell of gear oil around one , then the smile of the proud owner with the look on his face "hey I just changed my own diff's fluids '' Without knowing what I'm doing .

Do the due diligence before you do the deed , it will cost you less money , but you won't learn the hard lesson .
post #7 of 9 Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 AM
JKO Addict!

OP your fill quantities are incorrect. Refer to your owners manual. The Rubicon front D44 holds roughly 1.4 quarts, the rear about 2.4. In my experience you canÂ’t get those amounts into the axles via the fill holes in the covers. When I had stock covers I would add gear oil to the bottom of the fill hole, put in the plug, then put the remainder in via the breather fitting on the axle.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-08-2018, 09:46 AM
Rock God

Regarding the differential fill quantities, I pay no attention to the numbers. The important thing is to make sure the diffs are filled to the correct level, which is just a bit over the bottom of the inside of the axle tube. That's where the OEM covers' fill holes would put it with no lift. If lifted, the fill hole rotates downward, so you would have to finish filling from the top as mentioned above, by SoK66.

With aftermarket covers that have a much higher fill hole, using a zip tie as a dipstick works to see the level of the fluid.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #9 of 9 Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

^ what @ronjenx said , seconded....

The updated container solution which Amsoil now includes for it's gear lube rocks for this filling issue that's being discussed here in...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 11-09-2018 at 04:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode