2008 Wrangler- doors unlocking on their own/interior and headlights staying on - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-18-2018, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

2008 Wrangler- doors unlocking on their own/interior and headlights staying on

Hi all! I'm a new Jeep owner and so happy I found this forum!

I just bought my 2008 Jeep Wrangler X and I am so happy with it! But I am in desperate need of answers, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last night she started unlocking the doors on her own and the headlights and interior light would come on. The lights stayed on for about 30 seconds. The unlocking is completely sporadic and there were intervals where it happened every 2 minutes, but then it didn't do it for a few hours.

I've read a few of the threads posted here where other owners were having the same issue and I was wondering if anyone has a solution?

I'm pretty sure the previous owner replaced the TIPM, but I've read that some people are on their second or even third.

Could this just be a battery/electrical short issue?

All she's been doing so far is the unlocking thing, but I've read the problems can be much, much worse if it is the TIPM; I'm scared to drive her for now until I know whats going on.....

HELP! What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-18-2018, 07:22 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Recommend carefully removing the TIPM. If the last owner replaced it at least once, there's probably a good chance one or more of the connectors may have been damaged. I broke one of mine during an engine swap; replaced it with a new connector from

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

It wasn't cheap, but worth it for some peace of mind.

The TIPMs themselves don't have a good track record either. They're not watertight. If it appears that the TIPM was exposed to a lot of water, mud etc. It may be worth replacing, but definitely check the connectors first. Could just be that one of them needs to be pushed in a bit. Also take a good look at all the tipm pins. Good luck!

Last edited by rockystock; 10-18-2018 at 10:22 AM.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-23-2018, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
Recommend carefully removing the TIPM. If the last owner replaced it at least once, there's probably a good chance one or more of the connectors may have been damaged. I broke one of mine during an engine swap; replaced it with a new connector from

Mopar Connection Repair Kit

It wasn't cheap, but worth it for some peace of mind.

The TIPMs themselves don't have a good track record either. They're not watertight. If it appears that the TIPM was exposed to a lot of water, mud etc. It may be worth replacing, but definitely check the connectors first. Could just be that one of them needs to be pushed in a bit. Also take a good look at all the tipm pins. Good luck!
+1

Also check your battery connections, loose/damaged connectors make JK's do weird things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode