Radio problems... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Radio problems...

First post. New user. Been a frequent visitor. My 2015 hardrock has a 430n RHB radio. My trouble is that the touch screen does not work. Every hard button works. Every steering wheel button works. The screen displays everything. Voice command works. Shows the volume going up/down and changing of the channels but can not use the touchscreen. What is my problem? Is it the touch screen glass itself? Circuit board? Maybe the whole face unit? I dont think the whole radio is bad nor do i believe it is the hard drive to which i may be wrong. Im just looking for help. Sorry if this exact situation has been discussed already just havent seen it discussed to this specific problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 07:27 AM
Wheeler

You can of course try cleaning thoroughly around the edges to make sure nothing is trapped between the frame and the screen, my experience however was that once the screen stopped responding I had to have it replaced. I have a mopar lifetime service contract so it was a zero cost replacement. If you're dead set on keeping the oem head unit cost wise a used one would be your best bet. For the price of a new one, I would take the opportunity to just replace everything including the amp and speakers. I think new they run $2,500.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

What would be your suggestion on an aftermarket? I would obviously want it to be capable of everything the factory one does. I like the factory radio and I feel like i will be let down with an aftermarket one. Can the screen not just be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Wheeler

I have no idea how well these guys do but I found it on another forum that had a dead touch screen https://navrepair.com/products/430n-...iant=444663613

As far as aftermarket goes i was overwhelmed by how many options and opinions were out there. It will take a ton of research to find the one that suits you best but there are so many that exceed the oem nav system in every way. I'm sorry I'm not much help on that front, there are just too many variables to really point you in a good direction.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 04:16 PM

In the aftermarket space, Alpine has a couple of options (x-207, x-209; “x” is in place of series prefix) that work well with existing Jeep-Alpine system. A number of threads in WF in these two. Also some threads on a couple of Kenwood and Pioneer systems, that other Jeepers are quite happy with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Rock God

I will add input as over the years I have had several factory and several aftermarket nav head units. I am on my 3rd JK Rubicon 2010 which had infinity, 2014 with the alpine factory system and now the 2017 with the Alpine with sub in floor, I prefer the lay out of the speakers in the 17 the best, was worried about how durable the floor mounted sub would be but my 85 pound lab walks around back there with no issues to date. I used a pioneer head unit in the 2010, then the 2014 saw same pioneer head unit then swapped to kenwood and end up back in an updated Pioneer, the 2017 I have just left the factor unit in place as well as factory speakers, that sub seems like it would be near impossible to replace with out building a custom enclosure with a shallow mounted sub.

My wife prefers the layout and ease of use of Pioneer units, have had several different models.

I love Garmin Navigation so like the factory unit in that aspect, Kenwood uses Garmin Nav.

Issue with Kenwood higher end units is the load times on the system which is fairly slow compared to the factory unit and Pioneers. But I will say feature wise the Kenwood offers a lot more features then pioneer, the unit I had was full time connected to the internet ( which may have slowed down boot up times)

Looked at the alpine units, they offer similar feature sets to kenwood units, one of the things that is required by me is Sirius XM. Some of the lower cost and Android based units do not support it. Nothing worse then flipping radio stations while taking road trips.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2018, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3VOL View Post
I have no idea how well these guys do but I found it on another forum that had a dead touch screen https://navrepair.com/products/430n-...iant=444663613

As far as aftermarket goes i was overwhelmed by how many options and opinions were out there. It will take a ton of research to find the one that suits you best but there are so many that exceed the oem nav system in every way. I'm sorry I'm not much help on that front, there are just too many variables to really point you in a good direction.
The repair on the radio, i can do on my own, only i dont know exactly what the problem is. However, im 90% sure it is the touchscreen. The screen i can buy for 150 or something like that and do myself but if it isnt the screen and something more then i just threw that money down the drain. I really do like the factory unit and i dont want to buy another one if i can fix this one. Thanks for everyones input. If there is anymore info as to what may be actually wrong with this unit i would appreciate the info. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode