Looking at an 07 JKU, questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-05-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Looking at an 07 JKU, questions

I sold my 2011 JKU in the spring and miss it. Went and looked at an 07 today, just a regular JKU (X or Sport or whatever) with an automagic tranny.

First, it's a beater. The guy that has it took it on a partial trade for a Dodge truck, and knows nothing about it. It's modded, Schittybilt bumpers, some sliders, corner guards, 35s, cut fenders, etc. Idiotic high lift mounted across the windshield. That's all fine, well, fixable. It's obviously been wheeled.

Anyways, took it for a quick test drive. CEL was on (didn't bring my scanner), gas cap warning was displayed, bad exhaust leak was obvious on start, sounded okay otherwise (but that's hard to say). Driveability wise it had zero power. You could plant it and it would slowly clime to redline, and I mean slow. Trans would shift when you let off, and would row gears as normal when not really on the throttle, so I'd say the transmission is likely fine. There was a Procal in the glove box too, so you'd assume they programmed it for the tires.

Seller claims the driveability issue is intermittent. Said they had it out, etc, and it did that sometimes, but has driven it only a couple hundred kilometers. He also said when scanned it indicated it had a "bad 02 sensor" but that it had been changed. Seller seems honest to me, his story makes sense and he was not at all offended when I told him the thing was "a pile of shit" and agreed he got had on the partial trade.

Anything OTOH that's a massive no-go on that? I'm guessing it has some major vacuum leak, or the exhaust leak is throwing out the O2 reading bad enough that it's going into limp (assuming these things do limp, never had mine do it when I owned it). I know the 3.8 wasn't known for being great, but this thing only has 100,000km on it (that's like 60K miles for those reading under the influence of Cheetos), so I'd assume it should still have life left in it.

I'm guessing the gas cap warning is because the EVAP canister is probably smashed to bits or just not there?

I'm probably going to go back with my scan tool and a pair of coveralls to actually look under it.

2011 JK Unlimited. It's orange. I've been told it's 'Ugly as sin' by somebody on Facebook. - SOLD
2018 JK Unlimited Rubicon. It's tan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-05-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Since I know nobody reads anything and they just look at pictures. Like on Facebook.

This is the turd.

Look at all the Barbie Jeep accessories on it.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-06-2018, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
It could very well have some easy solution to the problem. A vacuum leak or something similar is entirely possible. Surprising that no misfire codes air to fuel ratio codes are present though. I think plugging in your own scanner is a must. I just don't see a bad O2 sensor causing this dramatic drop in power.

Pick it up cheap and throw an LS into it!
The problem with the troubleshooting is it's third hand. People interpret a bank lean or O2 out of range as a bad O2 sensor, when normally it's actually that something else it wrong (vacuum leak, dropped valve, plugged injector, exhaust leak, etc). So yeah, without throwing my scanner on it I have no idea actually, other than they changed one of the upstream O2s and it didn't fix it (meaning that wasn't the problem, duh).

I was posting more along the lines of hoping somebody would (or wouldn't) say "that's the dreaded #3 exhaust valve dropping at 100K problem" or whatever. My experience with these was using mine as a DD, I owned it for 6? years and put less than 30K miles on it. Engine problems weren't something I intended to encounter or cared to research, although I know from listening to the Fagbook groups that the 3.8 seemed to be fairly decent at blowing up, but with my usage I figured I'd never get to that point.

I actually have a 5.3/NV4500/Ecobox/NP205F sitting around that I intended to put in something, and I was looking for a dead JK for that reason. This one isn't dead, but if it's going to be I want to pay for a dead one, not one that's still alive, as currently the price is low, but not rock bottom.

2011 JK Unlimited. It's orange. I've been told it's 'Ugly as sin' by somebody on Facebook. - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-07-2018, 03:26 AM
Rock God

Doesn't sound like limp mode to me. Limp mode will usually limit RPM and I believe top speed. I don't think limp mode would let it go to redline.

I would go back with a scanner and also look the thing over underneath and under the hood. If you can determine for sure what the problem is, then go for it, if it is what you want. If you can't derermine what is wrong from your inspection (or if there are other problems found, I.E. suspension, etc. issues), offer them your "worst case scenario" price. If they don't take that, move on.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-07-2018, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
Doesn't sound like limp mode to me. Limp mode will usually limit RPM and I believe top speed. I don't think limp mode would let it go to redline.

I would go back with a scanner and also look the thing over underneath and under the hood. If you can determine for sure what the problem is, then go for it, if it is what you want. If you can't derermine what is wrong from your inspection (or if there are other problems found, I.E. suspension, etc. issues), offer them your "worst case scenario" price. If they don't take that, move on.
Good to know that's not really how limp mode acts.

I'll have to go back. Today is a holiday here, so maybe tomorrow.

post #6 of 13 Old 10-07-2018, 11:43 AM
Granite Guru

If you just have a shorted O2 then that can cause low power. Beware of multiple o2 heater codes, that usually turns into a pcm.
The 3.8's are known for burning oil. a O2 unable to switch would be a indication of a plugged sensor due to oil fouling. I wouldn't buy a 3.8 JK without pulling the plugs and looking for oil consumption, ash, on the plugs.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #7 of 13 Old 10-07-2018, 11:56 AM
Rock God

Just did an oil change on my 2007 at 170,143 km. Might be down 1 litre. I change oil every 5000 km. I started using 10w30 a 140,000km or somewhere around there. Mine never went through a lot of oil with the 5-20 either.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-07-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
If you just have a shorted O2 then that can cause low power. Beware of multiple o2 heater codes, that usually turns into a pcm.
The 3.8's are known for burning oil. a O2 unable to switch would be a indication of a plugged sensor due to oil fouling. I wouldn't buy a 3.8 JK without pulling the plugs and looking for oil consumption, ash, on the plugs.
Gotcha. It is a shiny brand new O2 sensor in it, and it's probably only been driven 300km since then, if that, so if it oil fouled that fast then there is major problems.

Thread elsewhere talking about the bad PCM and the codes he got: O2 sensor [Archive] - JKFreaks 2007-2017 Wrangler JK Forum

Does a dying PCM typically cause low power too? Shorting harness seems more likely for it being an intermittent problem, as I see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska-HWY JK View Post
Just did an oil change on my 2007 at 170,143 km. Might be down 1 litre. I change oil every 5000 km. I started using 10w30 a 140,000km or somewhere around there. Mine never went through a lot of oil with the 5-20 either.
Mine was probably eating half a liter [edit, every 5000km] of 5w20 when I sold it at 50000km. I only ever put synthetic in it too. I'd forgotten about that.

post #9 of 13 Old 10-09-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm about 98% certain the seller flaked on me after we had an agreed price. Yay.

post #10 of 13 Old 10-10-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

He finally replied and let me know "Sorry my wife won't let me sell it for that."

I'd probably shoot myself before ever sending that text.

post #11 of 13 Old 10-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Rock God

What was the price? Dirty where are you located at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 13 Old 10-11-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
What was the price? Dirty where are you located at?
$8500 CAD. That's like $6500 USD. I honestly was pretty torn on spending that.

I'm in BC, the northern half of it, so not convenient for anything.

There isn't much for cheap JKUs in BC it seems. There's some decent looking (at least in photos) older ones with 150000km~ that are asking around $14-15K, and would possibly go for the $11-12K range, but none of them are local so factor in $500 in airfare at least also. It's not really what I want to spend, I sold the one I had before because it was nice and my driving style doesn't keep things nice.

post #13 of 13 Old 10-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Rock God

I hear ya. That would not be a bad price at all even in California

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode