General questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-19-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

General questions

So may be showing too much intelligence (or lack thereof) but just bought a 2014 with factory 3.73’s, and considering lift options, axle swap, etc. will be using mainly for trail riding, probably won’t ever be anything too punishing or extravagant. Planning on going with 35’s, and probably won’t ever go over 37’s. Out of all the lift options out there, what do you all suggest in the 2.5-3.5 range, and as far as axle swaps go, what is everyone’s experience/suggestions, or is it even needed?? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-19-2018, 09:18 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I am running a Synergy MFG 3" Stage 2 kit and I believe it to be one of the nicest kits out there. Although you'll be happy with Metalcloak, RK, and Evo MFG suspensions. The key is to get a kit that includes everything you will need, which you won't get with a cheap one.

As far as axles go, if it is a Rubicon you'll be able to build up the axles to withstand 37s. But if you have the Dana 30 front axle and want to run 37s, you'll probably want to swap to a 44. I recently bent my Dana 30 axle tube running 35s, have since upgraded to an Ultimate Dana 44.
3.73s will not be horrible with 35s, but you'll definitely want to put a re-gear at the top of your list, right after a lift and tires.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #3 of 8 Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Unfortunately it’s not a rubicon, and regretting it just a little. I’ve been researching the teraflex kits a little today as well, I’ve seen them come up in other forums. I’ve seen everywhere if people getting rid of the 30’s for a 44 Dana so it’s definitely on the list, probably going with that Dana ultimate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-19-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

And yes, ill be getting the regear ASAP
post #5 of 8 Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

The Teraflex lift won't be too bad, but they're known for being just a mid-tier company. What exact lift are you looking at?

I would say re-gear the 30 and run it till it breaks and then upgrade. Don't waste your money on c-gussets, trusses or shafts. I learned the hard way, spending close to $1,200 on upgrading my D30 just to have it blow up shafts every time I went wheeling and then finally bending the housing. Don't put lipstick on a pig lol.

'15 JKU/ 3" Synergy MFG Stage 2/ Fox 2.0 Performance Series IFP/ 35" KM2/ 4.56 Yukon Gears/ Currie Rock Jock 44/ ARB Locker/ Adams 1310/ VKS Fab/ Evo MFG
post #6 of 8 Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletJKU View Post
The Teraflex lift won't be too bad, but they're known for being just a mid-tier company. What exact lift are you looking at?

I would say re-gear the 30 and run it till it breaks and then upgrade. Don't waste your money on c-gussets, trusses or shafts. I learned the hard way, spending close to $1,200 on upgrading my D30 just to have it blow up shafts every time I went wheeling and then finally bending the housing. Don't put lipstick on a pig lol.

Probably steering away from that kit now, looking at yours and some of the RockKrawler 3.5" kits. I'm sticking with 35's for now, just want the option down the road to go bigger.

the D30 is staying for now, deploying in December so just trying to get a list together now so I can have plenty of work waiting for me when I get back.

And hey, pigs need some love too damnit lol
post #7 of 8 Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk121 View Post
Probably steering away from that kit now, looking at yours and some of the RockKrawler 3.5" kits. I'm sticking with 35's for now, just want the option down the road to go bigger.

the D30 is staying for now, deploying in December so just trying to get a list together now so I can have plenty of work waiting for me when I get back.

And hey, pigs need some love too damnit lol
They are both great kits that include mostly everything that you will need. They may seem a little on the expensive side, but they are well worth it. It's better than purchasing a cheap lift and then regretting it later and spending your money twice.

Go with 3-3.5" of lift, it will look good with 35s and you'll have plenty of room to grow to 37s if it's a 4 door. With a 2 door you might not need that much lift, stick to 2.5-3" lift.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 AM
JKO Addict!

I would go with metal cloak, then synergy, off road evolution, currie. I would not recommend rock krawler. You will see a lot of social media pushing both them and teraflex but they are not the quality of the kits I mentioned. I give metal cloak the nod over synergy because they have a bit softer joint that will flex a bit easier and give you a slightly better ride but the synergy gives you links that allow you to adjust things without taking one end of a link off which is nice. Off road evolution has the adjust on the vehicle too and uses a tried and try Johnny Joint which flexes nice but may require some maintenance in the future.

Look at the kits and what you need for a 2.5" lift which will likely net you 3"+ depending on the weight of your jeep. At minimum you want new coils, shocks, sway bar links, a raised rear track bar bracket and a front adjustable track bar. Your 14 should d have longer brake lines and abs lines so it should not need longer and why pay for brake lines if you don't need them.

Some other items to get things really dialed in would be adjustable control arms and or control arm drop brackets to set caster and pinion angles. If you get a lift that give you an actual lift height of over 3.5" then you may be looking into a high steer kit to reduce bump steer.

Good luck with the mods.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode