Living out of my JK 2 door - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 09-15-2018, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Living out of my JK 2 door

I wanted to see if I could move out of the house where I was struggling with noise issues and generally only using my home for sleeping, storage, and working on my car or motorcycle in the garage. I was mostly motivated by the amount of money I could save and how my sleep quality could improve.

The beginning of January 2018 I assembled my home away from home with the following equipment..

Closet: Contained in submersible 55L duffle bag except footwear and backup clothes at the gym
Beanie (Winter, Spring)
Waterproof shell jacket (Winter, Spring)
Fleece (Winter, Spring) Hoodie (Summer, Fall)
Sorel snow lion rain/snow boots (Winter, Spring)
Running shoes
Skate shoes
Flip flops
3 pants
2 shorts
7 shirts
7 pairs ankle socks
4 pairs warm boot socks
7 underpants
Pajamas
Sun glasses

Kitchen
Nalgene 1.5L ultralite water bottle
Sea to summit xpot kettle and cups
MSR pocket rocket with propane
Tea ball
Light my fire spork

Bathroom
Nalgene wide mouth foldable cantene 48oz
Wet wipes
Hand sanitizer
North face base camp toiletry bag containing body wash, toothbrush, shaver, q tips, mirror, etc..
Bath towel

Bedroom
ENO doublenest hammock, down filled hammock underquilt, and bug net (Spring Summer Fall)
2 Kelty 0 degree down sleeping bags, one regular (Winter, Spring) and one long (Winter)

Living room
Flash lights
Usb charging outlet
2 ram x grip phone holders, one for the front and one for the back
Alarm clock

Laundry
REI 20L stuff sack
Tide pods

Jeep equipment
Pretty much every tool I would carry offroading is inside or attached to the Jeep except drivetrain spares

Privacy
Teraflex windshield sun shade
Another towel in the back window held by magnets
Cardboard behind back seat windows
Black poster board for front windows

Then what?
Well the only thing that changed was I could sleep almost wherever I wanted. Since I sleep during the day I can park most places without much of a problem, at least legally. If I wanted to sleep somewhere at night I would have to go to specific areas that the city has designated legal to “car dwell” which is a couple miles from where I go to the gym.
My transition from a bed to a hammock was very interesting. I got used to it in a few days and my back/neck aches have completely gone away (was sleeping on a spring mattress and then memory foam before with pain). I have been hammock sleeping very comfortably and so far this is the only way I can think of to be able to fully stretch out horizontally in a 2 door JK. I have later gotten lazy and decided to just sleep on the back bench seat which gives me some better coverage and there is much less work to do to set up and take down the bed. The back bench is very uncomfortable compared to the hammock but still doable. The other advantage of sleeping on the bench seat is it insulates you very well so all you need is a good blanket to get through a cold night.

With my sleep issues solved and extra money in my pocket I was able to enjoy some nice trips when I had time off work.

Any issues with the man? None

Any issues with random people?
Kinda.. When I’m hanging out in the Jeep I notice people do things around and to the Jeep that they may not do if they knew I was in it. I’ve had people hit my car with their car when I was parked in a parking lot and just walk away. People have hit my rock rails or tires with their doors. A few guys were looking at my hilift or floor jack mount and one told the other it was a machine gun mount. Some others talked about how big the tires are.
When in the designated “car dwelling” areas there are a bunch of other people in motorhomes and it looks like many of them are involved in bicycle theft and other crime. I have seen them standing on the corners and bicycling around with gas cans and hoses. Not the best neighborhood. My bicycle was stolen from my bike rack when I was at the gym so I omitted it from my list but I was using it for a few months.

What do you eat with no fridge or microwave?
Pretty much anything I want which quickly became an issue because if I ate junk food and wasn’t near a bathroom I would usually have problems but I tend to stay close to work or the gym so I could stop by one or the other if there was a problem. Lots of whole foods market and indian food lunch specials. I have ordered pizza, thai, etc straight to the car if I didn’t want to drive. On cold nights I would drink hot tea before bed and for breakfast which was very pleasant.

What if it's hot?
This is the where I was definitely challenged but not because I was uncomfortable. Once the temperature started to go up the mosquitoes showed up and I was getting eaten alive. I was able to use the bug net but was too lazy to set it up and take it down which led to lots of bites and discomfort. I could have used repellent but was concerned about prolonged use causing side effects. Temps got up to 120F but I was still able to get through summer.

Why should I care?
I was able to simplify my lifestyle and therefore consume less resources and produce less waste. I used much less water and fuel saving lots of money. Seems like if more people did this we might have less pollution and less fear of drought.

Last edited by Motosurgeon; 09-15-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-15-2018, 12:47 PM
Granite Guru

Not much else to say but bad ass...

What part of the country do you call home? I imagine that some areas of the continent would be easier to pull this off than others, weather, people, etc.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Rock God

Thought living room said "flesh light". It didn't, carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-15-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
Not much else to say but bad ass...

What part of the country do you call home? I imagine that some areas of the continent would be easier to pull this off than others, weather, people, etc.
San Fernando Valley, California
The weather and people here leave much to be desired. Good food however is plentiful if you can afford it and always within reach. Always within a reasonable distance of beaches, mountains, desert, forests, etc.

The fact that I'm in a 2 door JK makes it possible to park almost anywhere. Many designated car dwelling locations still post signs prohibiting vehicles over 7ft tall or 22ft long from 2am to 6am. These areas are regularly patrolled by tow trucks but not police so there is an issue with crime at these industrial area parts of town.

Last edited by Motosurgeon; 09-15-2018 at 06:42 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-16-2018, 08:10 AM
JKO Addict!

MOVE, this is a big country and places to live much cheaper and jobs can be found in this economy just about everywhere. Just stay away from high tax states like california, illinois, new york, new jersey. I can't see choosing to be homeless if you have a job and skills to be able to support yourself.

Reno is full btw and housing is stupid right now so we are not a good place to choose for affordable housing.
Cod likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-17-2018, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Thought living room said "flesh light". It didn't, carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if that were the case, we’d be reading about how he entered the Jeep & never exited it again..” .( I was gonna say he never came out again, but that was too easy of a lob )

edit: I think I’d move to Alaska if I were OP. Get seasonal work in the fishing boats , make a chunk & then wheel the big state on the off months. Just dreaming of my old gypsy & Air Force brat days. I could move every year if my kids & wife would. I get bored in one place.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-17-2018 at 04:37 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-17-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
MOVE, this is a big country and places to live much cheaper and jobs can be found in this economy just about everywhere.

Reno is full btw and housing is stupid right now so we are not a good place to choose for affordable housing.
Moving to Carson City in about 8 months
post #8 of 13 Old 09-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Only in California.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-18-2018, 05:44 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

How tall are you? Maybe I missed that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-18-2018, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
How tall are you? Maybe I missed that part.
5'9"
post #11 of 13 Old 09-18-2018, 05:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motosurgeon View Post
Moving to Carson City in about 8 months
Carson city is no bargin as far as housing is concerned, just as high as Reno.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #12 of 13 Old 09-18-2018, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Carson city is no bargin as far as housing is concerned, just as high as Reno.
I like the idea of no smog checks if my address is in Carson
post #13 of 13 Old 09-19-2018, 05:30 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motosurgeon View Post
5'9"
I guess the extra 5" I have would make it uncomfortable to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode