Anybody Towing with A Motorhome? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-12-2008, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Anybody Towing with A Motorhome?

Anybody trailer towing their rig with a motorhome?

I'm looking at buying a used motorhome and I would like to trailer tow my JK Unlimited behind it. It's a 1994 20' Travelcraft, Ford E350, 460 V8 with tow package. Owners guide shows it can tow 10,000-14,000 lbs based on combined gross vehicle weight. However; tow hitch is rated at 3500 lbs. Don't know if the rating will increase with a weight distribution hitch.

People I have talked to have not towed anything as heavy as my Jeep. 5400 lbs. with a full tank of gas. I would be at the limit with a 7000 lb. rated trailer which worries me a little. A 10,000 lb. rated trailer would be better which I believe would put me at about 7,500lbs. of tow weight because of the added weight of the 10,000 lb. rated trailer.

How are trailer hitches rated? Can I purchase a hitch with a greater towing capacity? Or is it rated by the frame it is attached to?

Appreciate any help from those of you who know.

Thanks,

RobV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Granite Guru

Yes. An E350 will not do it. You will need around 7k to tow what you are looking to tow. Trailer rating and hitch rating are not as important as making sure the GCWR of you rv is high enough.

I tow with a 32ft Jayco on a Kodiac chassis. I have towed an xtra cab F-150 (likely over my trailers weight rating) on my 18ft 7,000lb trailer. I regularly tow my TJ and dirtbike behind the RV. I have about 10k lbs between my RV weight and my GCWR.

It is doubtful that a E-350 or E-450 RV will do what you want legally. I used to tow with a E-450 v10 RV and it would tow a TJ with a 16 ft trailer adequately. Perhaps if you find an RV w/o slides you may be ok.

Shaffers OffRoad Rocks!

Other Companies that have treated me right!
Poly Performance
Rubicon Express
Trailready
Novak Adapters
Mastercraft
Centerforce
Dynatrac
and KC Hilites
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2008, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
Yes. An E350 will not do it. You will need around 7k to tow what you are looking to tow. Trailer rating and hitch rating are not as important as making sure the GCWR of you rv is high enough.

I tow with a 32ft Jayco on a Kodiac chassis. I have towed an xtra cab F-150 (likely over my trailers weight rating) on my 18ft 7,000lb trailer. I regularly tow my TJ and dirtbike behind the RV. I have about 10k lbs between my RV weight and my GCWR.

It is doubtful that a E-350 or E-450 RV will do what you want legally. I used to tow with a E-450 v10 RV and it would tow a TJ with a 16 ft trailer adequately. Perhaps if you find an RV w/o slides you may be ok.
What do you mean exactly " w/o slides ". Meaning popouts because it does not have them. I was told that the frame is the same one used on a 29' motorhome if that makes sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-13-2008, 07:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
What do you mean exactly " w/o slides ". Meaning popouts because it does not have them. I was told that the frame is the same one used on a 29' motorhome if that makes sense.
Yup. slides or popouts add a lot of weight to the rv, and eat up valuable towing capacity. An E350 likely has a gcvw of ~17,000 lbs which is not a lot considering what an RV and trailer each weigh.

Shaffers OffRoad Rocks!

Other Companies that have treated me right!
Poly Performance
Rubicon Express
Trailready
Novak Adapters
Mastercraft
Centerforce
Dynatrac
and KC Hilites
post #5 of 6 Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Rock God

I flat tow mine behind my Seneca
post #6 of 6 Old 10-13-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I want to say that the rv has a wheel base of 158" and is 20.5' long. No popouts or slides.
The gcvwr is 18500 lbs. The back of the rv extends roughly 5' past the rear axle. The frame looks like 6" wide .25" thick channel. The gvwr on the rv is 4200lbs on the front axle and 8300lbs on the rear axle. That leaves 7000lbs of trailer weight if the rv is loaded to capacity. If I'm not missing anything. Edit: Just had the rv weighed. 9360lbs with a full tank of gas,tools and supplies, two people at 350 lbs combined. Do you still think that this is still out of the realm for towing?

I considered flat towing but I don't like the idea of putting miles on the offroad tires. Also if I wreck the thing I'd like to get her back home.

I'm planning on going to Panamint Valley Days in November. So I'm working hard on getting a tow rig. Don't think the Ram 1500 will cut it.

Last edited by rubirobv; 10-13-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode