Got rear ended yesterday - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Got rear ended yesterday

Ugggggh. What a PITA. We were on our way home from an excellent first horseback riding lesson for my son and a gourmet lunch at the BK lounge (aka Burger King ) when I slowed for a minivan turning in front of me. As I did we got smacked hard in the back end by a kid and his GF. The GF's Kia took the brunt of it. I was nose low, tail high as I was braking and he was nose low (I'm assuming) from braking and he went way under. It looks like most of the impact was on the rear bumper, rear axle, and the pass side rear tire. Immediately visable damage on my JK is a bent rear shock, bent rear shock mount, and smooshed bumper & trailer hitch. The rear axle is squealing like a banshee now (unlike the mild, pathetic squeak from before).

All in all, I'm not too happy, but at least my family is unhurt and safe. The kid on the other hand... well, he didn't fare to well. He was not wearing his seatbelt (it was fastened behind him), hit the windshield with his head, and had the airbags go off in his face. OBTW - its the GF's car. Oopsie.

The cops said that if I hadn't been lifted the damage would have been radically worse and that we probably would be in the hospital right now instead of having slightly stiff necks.

Sorry, only camera I had was my cellphone

Impact on the widshield

Airbag deployed

The GF's car. Note the tire mark on the bumper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Rock God

glad you and your family are ok. the damage sucks, but the opportunity is you can maybe get some upgrades with the insurance money.

hope everything gets delt with swiftly on the insurance end
post #3 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Damn, sorry for the luck. Glad you family is OK. Maybe you'll get a new axle out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Alec W

Glad you’re ok ipe. At least you’ll get a new axel and get the squeaking fixed (remember it only started after this wreck just in case it's something else ).
post #5 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Unscientific measuring (tape measure from the front door with hinge holding tape up and in place down to the far side of the rear wheel center cap) shows drivers side measures in at 86-5/16". Passenger side measures in at 86" even. Something is most definitely bent.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 09:49 AM
Rock God

Good to hear you and the family are ok. I've been hit twice, but with no damage (other than a little paint transfer) to my JK.

Dirty Minion #6
post #7 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Rock God

Wow..........Rob, glad to hear that you and the family are all OK. Jeeps can be fixed. BTW, sounds like its time for a D60 to resolve the rear axle issues. As far as the kids in the Kia go, guess that will teach them to bring a knife to a gun fight.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Nice to see you're keeping a good sense of humor bout things...(Kia killer/ BK Lounge...lol). So glad you and your family are allright. Please remember that back injuries sometimes take a few days to completely reveal themselves. Probably be a little more sore in the a.m. I really hope those guys had insurance and you get it all straightened out. I only say that cause you can see the totally bald pass side front tire, so I'm guessing that safety and liability were probably not priority one with these folks. Please post up more about your JK's recovery, the insurance, and how you are doing (when able). Again, thank God you're allright. Take care.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Glad to hear that you and your family were not hurt! Sorry that your jeep got torn up. It's never fun going through the insurance process and getting everything straightened out! Hope everything goes smoothly with that Ipe!

'08 Silver JKU - Grace

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
― Thomas A. Edison
post #10 of 24 Old 10-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Rock God

Get a good lawyer! Not because you want some huge settlement but because insurance companies ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS try to screw you. Trust me, get a lawyer now.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Rock God

Well Rob, I hope you have receipts for the mods. one side of the axle being closer foward could mean either some new arms or the rear is bent towards the passenger side. Make sure you point this out as there is nothing worse than a curved frame. I had a front end accident before on ICE and I crushed a honda element hard enough to total it. My momentum destroyed the rear and sent it right into a F250. I had no where to go but the tacoma had about $1800 in damage according to the adjuster.

It never drove right since the accident and I traded it for the JK!!! I did think it was warped to the right also as it seemed to pull hard. I brought it to an alignment shop after all was said and done and they said it was not centered. I just took the lose instead of investing anything and the Insurance company said that the adjustor would of said it was an issue if it was. Bottomline, get it on record now that you know something is off center.

Also I'm glad you are ok and just be glad you were in the monster because if you were in a car you'd probablly be in the emergency room still.

Last edited by NE Wrangling; 10-13-2008 at 06:54 PM.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Granite Guru

Maybe you can use the insurance money towards a D60 assembly.

2007 2D 6SPD JK X
post #13 of 24 Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Took it to the place we've always had out collision work done yesterday. They walked around it, pausing at the rear bumper and then walked back in.

"....we can write up something for the rear bumper but we don't do mechanical and besides, your jeep is too big for our equipment..."

Ummmm.... ok

The insurance co is trying to find a place that can handle the work now.

I have to say, the other guys insurance co (Progressive) is treating me way better than my own (Quincy Mutual). I haven't been impressed with QM for a while and this is the last nail in the coffin. Now that we have rate competition in the state, as soon as this claim is done, QM is getting kicked to the curb. Adios M-F-ers!
post #14 of 24 Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Rock God

Glad to hear yall are ok! Thats the most important part.

I had good dealings when I got my car totalled by a Progressive driver. Just stay on the body shops (when you find one). They wanted to nickle and dime and try to "rebuild" my car and if during the rebuild process they went above the 70% they would declare it totalled. So I fought for a month telling them to do a full run down of the car and kept telling the insurance company they were up to something. The original estimate of $2,300 to fix my car ended up being totalled out with a cost of $12,000 to fix it...

I got my money and all, just sucked it took over a month of rental car driving to get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #15 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

My insurance company is operated by a bunch of fawktards.

I went to have the JK looked at by the place that typically does our body work and they told me that they couldn't do it, the jeep was too big and they didn't do mechanical. Ummmm... ok. So I call the insurance co and ask them to recommend someone who can handle larger vehicles and can do mechanical. They reply with this:

Quote:
Robert,
I have found some shops in the Bedford Area. Im sending you
my search results. http://411.yellowpages.com/01730~Bedford-MA/Auto-Repair-Service/city-Bedford?search_terms=MECHANICS . I apologize but due to my current work load, I will be unable to call any of them.
There is a Car and Truck repair facility on the list which sounds promsing. Good luck. Have a nice weekend.
- Justin
WTF People!!!

a Yellow pages search?
Too much work load?
Good Luck?

Oh, and it gets better.... Click on the linky above and one of the places they suggested is , get this.....

A FAWKING JIFFY LUBE!!!!!!

I wrote him back and said that effective immediately I wanted the other insurance company to handle my claim and if he didn't like it to have his superviser call me. God damn numb nutz...

post #16 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipe View Post
A FAWKING JIFFY LUBE!!!!!!
They do good work, why the hate?
post #17 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
They do good work, why the hate?
Because the last time I went there they forgot to put the filler cap back on the valve cover.

Oh, and I don't recall them having a frame machine either
post #18 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

I wrote him back and said that effective immediately I wanted the other insurance company to handle my claim and if he didn't like it to have his superviser call me. God damn numb nutz...

That's what I haven't understood all along...Shouldn't Progressive be handling this. The accident was that kids fault. His (or the fawking girlfriend's) insurance company should be kissing your ass right now. Please keep the forum up to date on this. Sounds like an interesting story will become even more so before it's done. "Yes Progressive...The Jeep JK did come with a Dana 60 rear end...and yes, my neck still is bothering me too"

Good luck Ipe.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 01:32 PM

Where's the pic of the JK?
post #20 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I have to say, the other guys insurance co (Progressive) is treating me way better than my own (Quincy Mutual). I haven't been impressed with QM for a while and this is the last nail in the coffin. Now that we have rate competition in the state, as soon as this claim is done, QM is getting kicked to the curb. Adios M-F-ers!
I've had nothing but good service from Prog. When my '05 Rubicon got rolled in a wreck on the freeway, they at first said "let's try to repair it - we'll send it to the body shop to get all that fixed up, and then there's this shop down the road that we'll send it to to get the lift kit, bumper, and the roof rack replaced..." (Turns out it was the same shop I bought the lift kit, bumper, and roof rack from =) But that afternoon he called me back and said "Ok, seriously, we can get it fixed, but we're nervous about what else is wrong. It looks easy, but we're worried that there's a lot of hidden damage from rolling it. We'd like to total it, is that ok?" I said yes, and the next afternoon went and picked up a check for the Jeep from their office.

They then hired me some lawyers and a year and a half later, I got back my deductible, and another check from their insurance co. My rates never went up.

!c
post #21 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff '68 View Post
Where's the pic of the JK?
At the moment there really isn't a whole lot to see. Its not at all like the Kia stuff above.

The bumper is slightly damaged and pushed slightly to the passenger side. If I had done it wheeling I really wouldn't give a crap, but seeing as its insurance I'm going to at least get some money towards a new aftermarket bumper. The pass side rear shock is bent into a C and the Poly shock mount is twisted too. The pass side wheel is 5/16" closer to the front than the drivers side. The pass side rear wheel feels very out of round.

So all in all, to all outward and quick looks it doesn't look like anything at all. But w/o replacing the rear shock and mount its not driveable. Is the frame bent/twisted? Is the axle bent/twisted? Are the control arms or control arm mounts bent or twisted? If they are its just a little bit, and a pro shop is going to be needed to check the frame. I told the guy at progressive that I wheel this truck and that my families lives depend on the integrity of these parts. If there is any question of their being compromised I want them replaced with new. The guy at Progressive seemed to agree with that.

Anyway, to make a too long story short, I'll take some pics tomorrow, but prepare to be totally underwhelmed
post #22 of 24 Old 10-17-2008, 06:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
prepare to be totally underwhelmed

hey thats my motto. suck about the jeep, hope it all works out

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #23 of 24 Old 10-28-2008, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

So, here's an update.

First, I know I failed to take pictures. They were just so non-anything that it wasn't worth it.

As a consolation here is one from my cell phone

I went to see my Jeep at the shop yesterday. They got the shock bracket and shock from Poly on Monday and replaced them.

While replacing them they discovered that the impact had somehow driven the axle up into the evap canister and smashed it. Soooo.... a new evap canister is enroute but unfortunately will take a few days to get as none are available in the region.

They showed me where the impact drove the muffler into the sway bar so that and some OEM pipe gets to be replaced. Instead of replacing it with OEM I've ordered a Rancho Cat Back system. Its supposed to be somewhat quieter than the Magnaflow systems but still a good tone so that works for me.

The bumper is also toasted enough that thats getting replaced by the insurance CO. Same deal here too. I've ordered a RockHard4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier to match the shorty I have up front. Might as well keep it in the family

Now the interesting thing is going to be resolution of the dreaded axle squeek.... They're working on resolving that now. Who knows what'll happen here... maybe a new rear axle assy?

I do have to admit that driving about in the rental clown car is getting old. It was sad seeing my baby there in the lot looking so forlorn and dejected. I miss her!

OBTW - the Kia....

It was totaled
post #24 of 24 Old 10-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

good to hear that the insurance seems to be paying off well for you. Ant that's so nice that you are able to get an upgraded exhaust and rear bumper. Very cool.

I know how you feel...having to listen to your JK whining for you to come back...Classic "It's a Jeep thing...you wouldn't understand".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode