USA made Winches - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By smittycm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 03-09-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

USA made Winches

Just Scored an ARB front bumper for the Jeep now need a New winch,Would like to stay with a USA made one any ideas?
Thanks
Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 03-09-2018, 08:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJohn View Post
Just Scored an ARB front bumper for the Jeep now need a New winch,Would like to stay with a USA made one any ideas?
Thanks
Barry
Warn!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 Old 03-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Random Dude

My MileMarker hydraulic is domestic. Dunno about their electric winches.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 04:15 AM
DJ1
Rock God

If you go with Warn, I would recommend the 9.5cti-s. I've had mine for 6 years now. Still looks brand new and still pulls strong.

Having said that, I know a couple guys who have the Warn ZEON's and the powdercoat is already peeling badly after only the first year. Not sure if it was just a bad batch or what.

Also not sure what country the more recently produced Warn winches are made in and if they decided to sell themselves out....

post #5 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 04:27 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1 View Post
If you go with Warn, I would recommend the 9.5cti-s. I've had mine for 6 years now. Still looks brand new and still pulls strong.

Having said that, I know a couple guys who have the Warn ZEON's and the powdercoat is already peeling badly after only the first year. Not sure if it was just a bad batch or what.

Also not sure what country the more recently produced Warn winches are made in and if they decided to sell themselves out....

I picked up a new Zeon myself. It wasn't until recently that I started reading about issues with the powder coat. Not that I really give a shit about powder coat so long as the winch doesn't fail, but would rather the protective coating on a pricey winch like the Warn not come off like that. Was surprised to hear of so many folks with issues. Never had that problem on my shittybilt, and it never once failed me.

I think a lot of folks are gonna recommend Warn when asking about a US-made winch. Recommend to the OP to definitely do their research. Based in my own research it sounds like not all Warn are created equal.
libordemise likes this.

//

Chris
post #6 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 06:31 AM
Rock God

The warn vr series is made in China but according to warnís warranty repair center is the most trouble free.
post #7 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 09:16 AM
I am the one, a god with a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
My MileMarker hydraulic is domestic. Dunno about their electric winches.
This is what I want. I have a picture of the H12000 pinned to my "vision board". It currently ranks below a hot beach bod and above one of those microwavable bacon trays.

Last edited by snout; 03-10-2018 at 09:19 AM.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 01:56 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post

This is what I want. I have a picture of the H12000 pinned to my "vision board". It currently ranks below a hot beach bod and above one of those microwavable bacon trays.
You must not be married, otherwise there is no way the bacon tray ends up lower on your list than a "beach bod". Married or not, you need to get your priorities straight. ;-)

//

Chris
post #9 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

yes I am having a time in my research finding what i want ,seems to be most winches are made with globally sourced parts and assembled in the USA.
ExWrench where is the MM hydro winch built at ,and does it perform well?
post #10 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittycm View Post
You must not be married, otherwise there is no way the bacon tray ends up lower on your list than a "beach bod". Married or not, you need to get your priorities straight. ;-)
The man with the "beach bod" is the man who doesn't microwave his own bacon.

On a serious note, will that H12000 work with the stock pump?
post #11 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJohn View Post
yes I am having a time in my research finding what i want ,seems to be most winches are made with globally sourced parts and assembled in the USA.
ExWrench where is the MM hydro winch built at ,and does it perform well?
I don't know, and it depends on your performance criteria. See below.

Quote:
On a serious note, will that H12000 work with the stock pump?
Probably not to your satisfaction. It would function, but depending on the pump it will have reduced speed and/or pulling power. Hydraulic pressure and flow were inadequate on my stock 2010 PS pump, so I have a PSC pump powering my winch and hydro assist, with a cooler and a PSC reservoir/filter combo.

I have a MM 9K hydro. winch on my JK. I had faith in the design because my buddy has a MM 12K hydro. on his IDI F250 4x4. He's used it some for self-recovery, but a ton for dragging deadfall trees on his hilly 40 acres. Electric winch = race car in comparison, but the hydro's a workhorse that should, within reason, be impossible to kill in use.

The bad: This winch will not run without the engine. Rollover self-recovery or dead-engine winching = no-go. Acceptable risks, IMHO.
The good: This winch will not overheat (w/ a fat cooler in the PS return line), and it only draws 2 amps at full load

The bad: Don't be in a hurry - it will not haul ass like an electric when unloaded.
The good: It will run the same speed at full load that it does unloaded (i.e., Honey Badger don't give a fuck)

@BJJohn - I'm guessing that you want an electric winch, but there's my take on hydraulic.

The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Probably not to your satisfaction. It would function, but depending on the pump it will have reduced speed and/or pulling power. Hydraulic pressure and flow were inadequate on my stock 2010 PS pump, so I have a PSC pump powering my winch and hydro assist, with a cooler and a PSC reservoir/filter combo.
That's what I feared. I much rather get her all wound up with fluid and pressure than angry electrons. Just not sure I'm ready to invest in hydro yet.
post #13 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 05:45 PM
Wheeler

USA made Winches

My warn XD9000 has been great for the few years Iíve had it. Itís not as pretty as the Zeon. But crank for the buck it specíd out higher. So I went for it. Itís only had a cpl of pulls on it. Worked great both times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #14 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
That's what I feared. I much rather get her all wound up with fluid and pressure than angry electrons. Just not sure I'm ready to invest in hydro yet.
You don't have to do hydro assist to add a hydraulic winch. The high pressure line from the pump goes into the MM distribution block and another line goes from there to the steering box. Just 2 hoses where 1 was before. Upgrade the pump and add a cooler (and do a fookin' filter while you're at it).

Of course, if you've gone that far, you're only a ram, 2 tabs, 2 hoses and tapping the box away . . .

post #15 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 07:58 PM
Granite Guru

The problem with hydrolic winches is, if the engine doesn't run neither does the winch.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #16 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 08:13 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb6700 View Post
The problem with hydrolic winches is, if the engine doesn't run neither does the winch.
True, and I did mention it. That ^^^ and the unloaded line speed are hydro's 2 main drawbacks over electric.

The flip side = if the engine runs, so does the hydraulic winch.
Winch doesn't get tired, hot or smoky . . .
and neither does your electrical system (winch only draws 2 amps).

My solution = hope / try to avoid needing to winch with a dead engine.
Really, how far are you going to pull before you kill your batts?

post #17 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Of course, if you've gone that far, you're only a ram, 2 tabs, 2 hoses and tapping the box away . . .
Really, that's all anyone is ever away from 1.5" hydro assist! Any more is just working towards the Cadillac of hydro assist.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-10-2018, 09:49 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

No one has brought up PTO winches. I had a 15000# Koenig PTO on my 68 Bronco. It was a beast. BUT like Mr Wrench has written previously, if your engine ain’t running neither is this winch. I have a Superwinch Epi9. If you compare the specs with other elect winches you should make note of the minimal amount of amperage draw between Superwinchs and other comparable winches, like Warn and Ramsey, Etc. Superwinch used to have a comparison chart on their website.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 03-10-2018 at 09:51 PM.
post #19 of 24 Old 03-11-2018, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

I really like my Ramsey Patriot 9500 UT. I de-badged it and converted it to synthetic. They did not have it available with synthetic rope when I bought it several years ago. They also have a low profile version of the 9500 that I would have probably also considered.

One thing that I really like about the Ramsey is that you do not need to flip the lever a second time after pulling the rope out. It flips back by itself on the Ramseys when you start pulling.

It looks like Ramsey also offers hydraulic winches but not sure if there is a fitment for the Jeep.
post #20 of 24 Old 03-13-2018, 02:34 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I've had my Warn Zeon 10-S for about 4 1/2 years now, and the powdercoat is fine on it. It is tucked down a little bit into my AEV front bumper though. It has been an awesome winch, with at least 20-30 pulls on it. Haven't had any overheating issues, or anything else for that matter.
Attached Images

Current vehicles:
2007 Sahara 2-Door
5.38 gears
Trussed, sleeved, gusseted Dana 44 front w/ factory Rubi locker and RCV shafts
Stock rear Rubi Dana 44 with Auburn Ected locker w/ 35 spline chromoly shafts
6 Speed
2.5 Rock Krawler X Factor System w/ Bilstein 5100 shocks
17X9.5 Spyderlock Beadlocks
37X12.50R17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
F&R AEV Bumpers w/ AEV rear tire carrier
JCR Stage 2 rock rails
Warn Zeon 10-S winch

2010 Jeep SRT8 w/ 440 stroker making 550 whp
post #21 of 24 Old 03-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
X2 on the bacon tray
post #22 of 24 Old 03-24-2018, 03:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I don't know, and it depends on your performance criteria. See below.

[COLOR="Lime"]Probably not to your satisfaction. It would function, but depending on the pump it will have reduced speed and/or pulling power. Hydraulic pressure and flow were inadequate on my stock 2010 PS pump, so I have a PSC pump powering my winch and hydro assist, with a cooler and a PSC reservoir/filter combo.
That is a hell of a setup...
post #23 of 24 Old 03-24-2018, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
No one has brought up PTO winches. I had a 15000# Koenig PTO on my 68 Bronco. It was a beast. BUT like Mr Wrench has written previously, if your engine ain’t running neither is this winch. I have a Superwinch Epi9. If you compare the specs with other elect winches you should make note of the minimal amount of amperage draw between Superwinchs and other comparable winches, like Warn and Ramsey, Etc. Superwinch used to have a comparison chart on their website.
Is anyone actually making modern transfer cases with PTO provision that'll fit into a Jeep? Also, routing the shaft might be problematic.

I have a brother-in-law that used to own a 1966 cj5 with a factory Ramsey PTO winch. That thing had zero quit in it. Plus, you could change the transmission gears to get faster line speed when needed. We tried to pull a fallen tree once, chained it to a large tree to keep the winch from dragging the Jeep. It pulled so hard we thought the frame might split, and the 2 passenger side tires lifted off the ground.

He got married, sold the Jeep, but pulled the winch off and gave it to me... It's sitting in the shop waiting for the right project.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)

Last edited by Guruman; 03-25-2018 at 05:49 AM.
post #24 of 24 Old 03-24-2018, 04:49 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by libordemise View Post
That is a hell of a setup...
It's something I don't have to worry about, so it's a winner in my book.

There are plenty of winch options that are faster and sexier, but
Quote:
I'll take "reliable as a hammer" for $1000, Alex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode