Suggestions for a minimal front bumper? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 01-20-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Suggestions for a minimal front bumper?

Hello everyone,
I've had my 09 JKU for several months now (first Jeep) and I'm honing the way I like it. Basically, I like the classic 'skipped leg day' sort of look. Straight bumpers, minimal flares, regular sized tires, etc.
I'll be taking off the damaged black painted fender flares and putting on inexpensive metal ones. I might save up for some nicer tube flares down the road but these'll do for now.

I've ordered a VKS rear frame cap to replace the rear bumper (that's also somewhat damaged). Rear Frame Cap - VKS Fabrication

And I'd like a front bumper to match. I'm not opposed to the idea of just taking the plastic off and bed linering the beam but I want a solid way to use my fog lights in the factory placement. I don't have or want a winch so I'm just looking for a plain, basic, fog lighted option.

I've spent a whole lot of time scouring the internets and there are some home made options that I like and some aftermarket options I like. But I wanted to get input from ya'll. (also not wanting to spend much $)
(this is an example of one of the ideas I like: Jk front bumper mod - Jeep Wrangler Forum but I'm not sure how to mount the lights.
And the Olympic bumper is a consideration too but I'm not sure I want to spend that much money on it. https://www.quadratec.com/products/12006_320X_PG.htm

There are a few others out there to consider like: Naked Jeep JK Crawler Extreme Stubby Bumper | JeepSWAG and Winch Recovery Kit for Jeep Wrangler JK but without the provision for a winch.

Any help?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-20-2018, 05:00 PM
Rock God

Build your own, it's pretty easy.

pvanweelden, 6GRed and CBarclay like this.
post #3 of 33 Old 01-20-2018, 07:14 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Go find a piece of 4”-6” channel iron.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 AM

VKS V2 is a great bumper.
RiverCityOffroad and CBarclay like this.
post #5 of 33 Old 01-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Rock God

post #6 of 33 Old 01-21-2018, 05:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Mine is pretty minimal. Not sure you can get it anymore but I am running just the GenRight winch tray sans bumper.
CBarclay likes this.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-21-2018, 06:48 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

If you want it to match I'd buy a VKS front. The product quality that comes out of Vick's shop is hard to beat and you're already half way there. His bumpers don't look bad without a winch on them and he's got fog light options as well.
CBarclay likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 33 Old 01-22-2018, 05:26 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I like the crawler concepts front bumper and the motobilt bumper. requires cutting some on the front frame but the most minimal with fitting a winch on them if you ever go that route just in case. I have the motobilt and my friend has the crawler.
CBarclay likes this.

2013 JK Gecko Pearl Rubicon Automatic; 33 inch Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's with Pro Comp Rockwell wheels; Front frame chop Motobilt bumper w/stinger and Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch; Truck-lite LED headlights; Barnes4wd 1 ton Drag Link and Tie rod; Evo MFG low angle rock sliders (Weld-on); Motobilt side skin/armor; no rear bumper (PSC coming soon); Motobilt spare tire delete; Artec rear tracbar mount axle side; Zone Offroad coils and shocks (changing soon when stretch comes)
post #9 of 33 Old 01-22-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks very much guys! I would love to make something myself but I have no access to necessary materials and tools and not much time to figure it out. I Really like the VKS option as well as the Genright, Olympic and a few others.
I'd be completely happy with a simple one like this but with placement for the fog lights.
Attached Images

post #10 of 33 Old 01-24-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm still chewing on this and am possibly leaning toward making my own.
The Olympic with the light pods is still a good possibility but I just don't want to spend the money on something I'd want to cut the pointy ends off of.
I found this article with their build out of exactly what I want, except for the provision for the lighting and sans winch. 2013 Jeep Wrangler JK - Project Private JK - Jp Magazine

I might just get some channel and see what I can do. I don't have the ability to make the light holes though.

anyway, still processing!
post #11 of 33 Old 01-24-2018, 11:49 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarclay View Post
I might just get some channel and see what I can do. I don't have the ability to make the light holes though.
Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.
For the lights, you just need a drill and a hole saw for the hole, and you could use some bolts from home depot for the studs to mount the fog lights.
I made my bumper from the thin metal under the plastic stock bumper. Used a harbor freight winch plate attached below the frame rails.
pic
Attached Images

jkupbu, rockystock, jdinny and 1 others like this.

2009 JKU
post #12 of 33 Old 01-24-2018, 12:21 PM
Wheeler

Garage

VKS Fab is a great choice.

If you can stand the wait times, a Shrockworks stubby with no winch hoop could fit the bill as well.

2017 JKUR Recon 6spd Firecracker Red
post #13 of 33 Old 01-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Granite Guru

If you can't drill or weld, how about a RR modular bumper without end caps? It's simple, can use the fog lights and can get winch or no winch in several versions
CBarclay likes this.
post #14 of 33 Old 01-29-2018, 02:30 PM
Granite Guru

Just take the plastic off and call it a day.
CBarclay likes this.

2014 JK Sport Anvil auto

COI

post #15 of 33 Old 01-30-2018, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks very much guys! I appreciate the thoughts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpostal View Post
Just take the plastic off and call it a day.
I'll probably do this first and drive it around like that to see what I want to do next. I took the rear off recently when I installed a Garvin rack, and in preparation for the rear frame cap from VKS and really like the look. Those polished Sahara bumpers just don't seem right to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKOwner View Post
If you can't drill or weld, how about a RR modular bumper without end caps? It's simple, can use the fog lights and can get winch or no winch in several versions
$ and time wise this might be my best option and I might end up going that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKommuter View Post
Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.
For the lights, you just need a drill and a hole saw for the hole, and you could use some bolts from home depot for the studs to mount the fog lights.
I made my bumper from the thin metal under the plastic stock bumper. Used a harbor freight winch plate attached below the frame rails.
pic
I really like what you did! Inspiring, clean and practical - just the way I like it.

Like I said above, I'll probably take the plastic off when it warms up a little and run it like that for a little bit to see what I think.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-30-2018, 07:38 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I don't have the means to make my own, I went with this one from Teraflex. The recovery points can be mounted inside the bumper for a flush look, I chose to mount outside.

CBarclay likes this.

His- 2014 JKUR
Hers- 2018 JK

Retired- 2016 JKWW
Retired- 2013 JKU
post #17 of 33 Old 01-30-2018, 07:51 AM
Granite Guru

Somebody suggested C-channel. This one was made of 8.2 C-channel.

I remade it in 6061 last year.
CBarclay likes this.
post #18 of 33 Old 01-30-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
I don't have the means to make my own, I went with this one from Teraflex. The recovery points can be mounted inside the bumper for a flush look, I chose to mount outside.

For some reason I haven't noticed that bumper from Teraflex. I really like it! Yet another to add to the list!
post #19 of 33 Old 01-30-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
Somebody suggested C-channel. This one was made of 8.2 C-channel.

I remade it in 6061 last year.
I like how that turned out!
tslewisz and 6GRed like this.
post #20 of 33 Old 01-30-2018, 04:21 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just hacked the stock steel bumper flush with the rails, removed the silly cans, and welded some steel strips and nuts to the back to fill in the center holes, add material to mount the stock fog lights, and the nuts hold the fog light wiring with zip ties. The fogs stick out a little but they're still alive after 3 years. Don't really need a super strong bumper without a winch.

Yes I'm breaking the rules at work, parking in an EV spot, even though the charger is out of service...
CBarclay likes this.
post #21 of 33 Old 01-30-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
I just hacked the stock steel bumper flush with the rails, removed the silly cans, and welded some steel strips and nuts to the back to fill in the center holes, add material to mount the stock fog lights, and the nuts hold the fog light wiring with zip ties. The fogs stick out a little but they're still alive after 3 years. Don't really need a super strong bumper without a winch.

Yes I'm breaking the rules at work, parking in an EV spot, even though the charger is out of service...
Sweet! I like it.
post #22 of 33 Old 01-30-2018, 05:01 PM
Wheeler

Garage

]Build your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Attached Images

rockystock and CBarclay like this.

2016 Rubicon Hard Rock (Rocki)
OIIIIIIO

Custom fab front bumper/air tank, rear bumper/air tank with swing out tire carrier, 200psi air system, custom built relays and switchs, 10k winch, light bar, pods front and rear, 35x10.50/17 Super Swamper radials, 2.5” Clayton Off-road lift and too many others to list.
post #23 of 33 Old 01-31-2018, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocki View Post
]Build your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's REALLY NICE! A bit out of my league for a DIY though.
post #24 of 33 Old 01-31-2018, 08:31 PM
Wheeler

Here's mines made by fabricationstore.com
rockystock likes this.

Last edited by uglysami; 01-31-2018 at 08:36 PM.
post #25 of 33 Old 02-05-2018, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

After trying to order a few different options the past few days, I discovered the Pavement Ends bumper at a suggestion from someone on another forum. After a little research it looked and sounded just right to me so I've got one coming. The price is right too at under $200.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode