Offroad Trailer Build on 40's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 12-29-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Offroad Trailer Build on 40's

About 6 months ago I decided to build a trailer to tow behind my JKU. With 5 kids, and the third row in my Jeep I have ZERO storage room for camping etc. So I spent a couple months over analyzing it and starting building about 2 months ago. My goal is to have it done, painted, rhino-lined and tested by EJS in March. I am on target as of now. My 14 year old is taking welding in high school, and is on their welding team. I honest cant believe how good he is already. I pretty much let him weld anything he wants on this.

My must haves were
40" tires with 8 lug to match my JKU
Same width as my Jeep
Jeep CJ7 Tailgate, modified to lock
Locking lid with cargo rack that I could also mount a Roof box to.
Hitch that went through the entire frame so I could pull someone out without unhooking.

I also wanted enough space to fit all my crap, so I decided to make it 7 foot inside, and then the box as wide as I could to match the JKU width. This meant going with internal wheel wells, which adds a nuch of extra storage space. The easiest way to get to the right width seemed to be to use Timbren independent axles.

Here is some of the progress so far.

Here you can see how the axles mount.

Front of the frame

For the tailgate I wanted it to latch like a normal tailgate, so I found some T-handles and "bear claw latches" I cut apart the tailgate and then welded them in and sealed it up.

Yes the final welds here suck. I ran out of .23 wire and had to use .35 which burned right through it. I am rhino-lining the inside so it wont show in the end.

Then I mounted the tires. The Timbrens set camber and Toe in via spacers and moving the alignment. It took about to hours, but I got it pretty damn good.

Then I started on the rails for the top and the tailgate location. I had to make sure this was straight to line up the tailgate.

That is as far as I am as of today. I am hoping to have the lid done this weekend and then start the fenders.

07 JKU, 14 bolt rear/ Teraflex 60 front, Tera Long Arm, King Coilovers, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock etc. 430HP LS3 engine swap. Cage and 14 bolt swap thread-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Keith B.; 12-29-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-29-2017, 06:28 AM
Wheeler

I wish I could see your pictures, I get little boxes with X's in them. I am really interested and can't wait to see your final results if the web page will let me.
post #3 of 32 Old 12-29-2017, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder View Post
I wish I could see your pictures, I get little boxes with X's in them. I am really interested and can't wait to see your final results if the web page will let me.
Let me try and fix that.

Edit - Should be fixed now.

07 JKU, 14 bolt rear/ Teraflex 60 front, Tera Long Arm, King Coilovers, 40" MT/R-Ks, Antirock etc. 430HP LS3 engine swap. Cage and 14 bolt swap thread-

Last edited by Keith B.; 12-29-2017 at 07:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 12-29-2017, 07:12 AM
Wheeler

I can see the first three, and it looks like you are doing an amazing job! Can't wait to see the final product!
post #5 of 32 Old 12-29-2017, 08:49 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

They all are working fine from here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #6 of 32 Old 12-29-2017, 10:04 AM
Wheeler

Seems to be working fine now, maybe was an issue with the security on my computer.

Very Nice!!
post #7 of 32 Old 12-29-2017, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

All the pics work for me.

That is one well thought out trailer. Nice job. The full length hitch is brilliant.

Not sure how the settings are adjusted on your machine but, I've been doing a lot of 22ga. with .035 wire lately and found that 14.5volts and 130ipm works pretty good. That's with C25 gas. Still ends up being a series of long tacks, but without the chasing of holes part.

Will you have to run a shock with those axles? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I know nothing about them.

Kevin
post #8 of 32 Old 12-29-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
All the pics work for me.

That is one well thought out trailer. Nice job. The full length hitch is brilliant.

Not sure how the settings are adjusted on your machine but, I've been doing a lot of 22ga. with .035 wire lately and found that 14.5volts and 130ipm works pretty good. That's with C25 gas. Still ends up being a series of long tacks, but without the chasing of holes part.

Will you have to run a shock with those axles? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I know nothing about them.
No shocks with those. They are used a lot by the expedition people. The main reason I used them was being able to make it the right width and the massive clearance.

I tried with the 035 and just couldn’t get it dialed in. I wil try again before I start doing the body panels.

post #9 of 32 Old 12-31-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I started on the lid today.

I used another piece of 1.5 square for the base of the lid, and clamped it to the tub so it would be square.

Then I made a template for the lid rood so I could clamp the pieces to it when I welded them so it would be pretty close to the same every time.

Then I made all five cross pieces. They came out pretty good.

I also made the backing plate for the tire carrier. I used a little bigger drill bit then needed for the holes. I then bolted it to the wheel and tacked it together. This way the holes all lined up exactly.

post #10 of 32 Old 01-01-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Finished welding up the lid today and then started on the fenders. Like the lid, I made a jig to weld the fender pieces.

They came out pretty good. Next I am going to weld on the hinges for the lid, after I add the remaining supports.

post #11 of 32 Old 01-01-2018, 04:16 PM
Granite Guru

Nice build. Are you planning on mounting a water tank underneath it?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #12 of 32 Old 01-01-2018, 07:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Is this from a set of plans, or your own creation? If it's yours, I sure hope you've wrote down all the dimensions. I'd wager you're going to get a lot of requests for the plans. It's that good, seriously.

The fender incursion into the interior doesn't look too bad at all.

Kevin
post #13 of 32 Old 01-02-2018, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb6700 View Post
Nice build. Are you planning on mounting a water tank underneath it?

At this point I am not, but I have room and could easily do it between the wheels to keep it centered. I am going to weld in a few tabs that I could bolt to if I want to add it later so I don't have to weld to the tube once it is painted.

post #14 of 32 Old 01-02-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
Is this from a set of plans, or your own creation? If it's yours, I sure hope you've wrote down all the dimensions. I'd wager you're going to get a lot of requests for the plans. It's that good, seriously.

The fender incursion into the interior doesn't look too bad at all.
Thanks for the compliment but compared to what you are working on this trailer is amateur hour. It is my creation after finding a couple trailers I liked and then drawing it out. I made it so it could go 90 degrees sideways without hitting, and 90 degrees up without hitting the tire carrier (which is not on it yet) on big climbs. The length from hitch to wheel center matches exactly the JK wheelbase so it will have the same turning radius. I did the internal wheel wells to gain space. It adds a space 18"deep x 9" wide x 24" high in all 4 corners, which is a lot on something like this. It seemed a waste to not use all the space I could. I am adding a roof rack to it that can also mount a Yakima box as well, and still be lower that the height of the JK (by 3 inches). I am also adding RotoPax mounts on 5 spots to carry stuff.

post #15 of 32 Old 01-02-2018, 12:33 PM
Granite Guru

Nothing to add but it's looking really good! One of these days, when my welds don't look so boogery, I'll attempt making a trailer like yours
post #16 of 32 Old 01-15-2018, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I got more done on this today. I welded on the hinges, and then added the gas struts.

Here it is open

Here are the struts.

I also added the roof rack. I bought a rack with an extension and then welded it together.

I wanted it removable, or so that I could add a different rack, so I used tabs on the cross pieces, and then bolted it on.
Cod and Rb6700 like this.

post #17 of 32 Old 01-16-2018, 08:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looking great.

Kevin
post #18 of 32 Old 02-04-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I have got a lot done over the last couple weeks.

First I did the tailgate, which is tough making it all seal up correctly and with the latches I used. Basically I used some 3/4 square tubing to hit the weatherstripping, and then a bolt for the latch post.

I then installed the cables.

Here is a shot from the back so you can see it closed.

I also made a stabilizer jack in case we are camping. I welded up a removable receiver tucked into the frame, and then made a post to fit it to the jack.

While I doubt I will need them, I added some locations for RotoPax mounts. I don't know if I will leave them on or off, but I figured it was easier to do it now. I will have a total of 5 mounts. Three across the front and one on each side on the back. I am bolting them through braces I added into the frame of the box.

You can see the holes where they will go. I drilled them now so I can redrill after the skin goes on easier.

Then I made the spare tire carrier. I may brace it but it is 2 pieces of 1/4 tube welded together so it is probably fine.

I also added the triangulation on the front under the tire. I am debating adding some flooring on to that but haven't decided. I has thinking of using the circle hole grating.

post #19 of 32 Old 02-04-2018, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Given the weight of the top, and how it is going to vary depending if I have a box on there, I added another removable gas strut in case there is a lot of weight.

I also finished the latch mechanism for the lid. it is a T-Handle with cables to two rotary latches.

RubiCajun likes this.

post #20 of 32 Old 02-05-2018, 11:31 PM
Granite Guru

Nice job

post #21 of 32 Old 02-10-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So my parking brake kit came in. I have to recommend the company "Control Cables" as they do awesome cables. I used them for the e-brake on my 14 bolt and now for this. They are quick turn around and they do really nice stuff.

I basically used a lever, and then a splitter for the e-brake.

This is the top view of the actual brake mechanism.

I then threaded a hole into the frame so that I could use a retainer to hold the cable against the frame.

This is the splitter going to each cable which I just welded to the frame.

This is the handle mounted to the spare tire carrier, behind it, and connected.

I decided to run it through the frame so the cable wasn't handing down.

I also made the mounting plate for the nose jack. I really like the jack, but the plate was silly big, so I cut it down.

I then welded a piece of 3/8 to the receiver and bolted it on. It hangs down a little but there is no way around that. I really wanted to use this jack, but given the height of the frame with the 40's I had no choice but to mount like this. I mounted it with the hinge farther from the hitch so that I could actually lift it higher given the angle.

post #22 of 32 Old 02-18-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I got started on doing the skin this weekend, and made pretty good progress. I just tacked it in place and will then weld it over a couple of days.

RubiCajun and Rb6700 like this.

post #23 of 32 Old 02-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage
Thumbs up

Damn nice Keith. I like the assembly and thought behind it. I would weld in some gussets at the struts /trailer tongue/ bed junction just for extra torsional support.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 02-18-2018 at 07:30 PM.
post #24 of 32 Old 02-19-2018, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Damn nice Keith. I like the assembly and thought behind it. I would weld in some gussets at the struts /trailer tongue/ bed junction just for extra torsional support.
Good idea.

post #25 of 32 Old 03-11-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got the fenders and sides completely welded in. I also added the plate for the front V and the side steps. I wanted something a little different so I used some 11ga, 1" holes plate. It turned out pretty cool. The floor is in and partially welded.

Rb6700 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode