About 6 months ago I decided to build a trailer to tow behind my JKU. With 5 kids, and the third row in my Jeep I have ZERO storage room for camping etc. So I spent a couple months over analyzing it and starting building about 2 months ago. My goal is to have it done, painted, rhino-lined and tested by EJS in March. I am on target as of now. My 14 year old is taking welding in high school, and is on their welding team. I honest cant believe how good he is already. I pretty much let him weld anything he wants on this.
My must haves were
40" tires with 8 lug to match my JKU
Same width as my Jeep
Jeep CJ7 Tailgate, modified to lock
Locking lid with cargo rack that I could also mount a Roof box to.
Hitch that went through the entire frame so I could pull someone out without unhooking.
I also wanted enough space to fit all my crap, so I decided to make it 7 foot inside, and then the box as wide as I could to match the JKU width. This meant going with internal wheel wells, which adds a nuch of extra storage space. The easiest way to get to the right width seemed to be to use Timbren independent axles.
Here is some of the progress so far.
Here you can see how the axles mount.
Front of the frame
For the tailgate I wanted it to latch like a normal tailgate, so I found some T-handles and "bear claw latches" I cut apart the tailgate and then welded them in and sealed it up.
Yes the final welds here suck. I ran out of .23 wire and had to use .35 which burned right through it. I am rhino-lining the inside so it wont show in the end.
Then I mounted the tires. The Timbrens set camber and Toe in via spacers and moving the alignment. It took about to hours, but I got it pretty damn good.
Then I started on the rails for the top and the tailgate location. I had to make sure this was straight to line up the tailgate.
That is as far as I am as of today. I am hoping to have the lid done this weekend and then start the fenders.