Rock Sliders - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 12:10 PM
pvanfab.com

The body mounted sliders only attach to the body above the isolator that sits on the frame mount.

If you try to connect the body sliders to the side of the frame rail, you will defeat the purpose of the body being able to move seperately from the frame, and cause damage to your body when you flex

Edit- for some reason, I was still thinking you were asking about body mount
Garden Spyder likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pvanweelden; 12-27-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanweelden View Post
The body mounted sliders only attach to the body above the isolator that sits on the frame mount.

If you try to connect the body sliders to the side of the frame rail, you will defeat the purpose of the body being able to move seperately from the frame, and cause damage to your body when you flex
Correct, yep, that makes sense to me.

I guess I am mostly focusing my search to frame mount at this point.
pvanweelden likes this.
post #28 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 12:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcrav View Post
Forgive me if my interpretation of your equation "God to Eddie to EVO to Some guy ... " was not bashing EVO... I apparently made an ass out of my self by assuming the association of Eddie to EVO was bashing...carry on...

I don't know of your slider design
Robert, here's the cliffnotes of the story.

Someone made a set of sliders at home. Then simply showed them off on WAL and was instantly attacked as copying EVO, stealing from EVO, was going to kill himself, was going to kill everybody around him, it was ridiculously funny. Apparently, to WAL, EVO invented the concept of the rock slider and everything else is a blatant ripoff of EVO.

So it is really just a joke without being a dig at EVO at the same time.

Now, back to the sliders. There was another thread on here about slider damage, and the conclusion was the need to keep space between the body and the slider when installing. Sliders move when hit, it's just physics. If they get installed too close to the body, the body always looses.
pvanweelden and robertcrav like this.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post

Someone made a set of sliders at home. Then simply showed them off on WAL and was instantly attacked as copying EVO, stealing from EVO, was going to kill himself, was going to kill everybody around him, it was ridiculously funny. Apparently, to WAL, EVO invented the concept of the rock slider and everything else is a blatant ripoff of EVO.

Now, back to the sliders. There was another thread on here about slider damage, and the conclusion was the need to keep space between the body and the slider when installing. Sliders move when hit, it's just physics. If they get installed too close to the body, the body always looses.
10-4...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2015 JKU Sport - 2.5" TF, Currie RJ44s, Detroit/ARB, 5.13s, Poison Spyder Aluminum Flares, Synergy MFG Bumpers, 37" Cooper STT Pros on KMC Machete Beadlocks, Warn 9.5cti
post #30 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 12:27 PM
Wheeler

Garage

It's the only picture I have right now but this is the Evo Sliders and I love them. They are welded to the frame and very strong. I have scraped off a lot of paint but never bent it. They started making the high angle ones and that's what I ended up getting. They act as a step as well and aren't angled as low as the original ones so they don't stick out as far and get your pants wet.
Attached Images

2013 JK Gecko Pearl Rubicon Automatic; 33 inch Cooper Discoverer STT Pro's with Pro Comp Rockwell wheels; Front frame chop Motobilt bumper w/stinger and Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch; Truck-lite LED headlights; Barnes4wd 1 ton Drag Link and Tie rod; Evo MFG low angle rock sliders (Weld-on); Motobilt side skin/armor; no rear bumper (PSC coming soon); Motobilt spare tire delete; Artec rear tracbar mount axle side; Zone Offroad coils and shocks (changing soon when stretch comes)
post #31 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 12:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotrocket1 View Post
It's the only picture I have right now but this is the Evo Sliders and I love them. They are welded to the frame and very strong. I have scraped off a lot of paint but never bent it. They started making the high angle ones and that's what I ended up getting. They act as a step as well and aren't angled as low as the original ones so they don't stick out as far and get your pants wet.
I can't even see them with readers on but I do believe I see an oak tree

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #32 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post

gt1guy you are a suave and elegant mofo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcrav View Post
Forgive me if my interpretation of your equation "God to Eddie to EVO to Some guy ... " was not bashing EVO... I apparently made an ass out of my self by assuming the association of Eddie to EVO was bashing...carry on...

I don't know of your slider design
No harm no foul sir. Making an ass of one's self on the internet is the spice of life. Beers are on me if you ever make it this way north.

If my memory serves, I built mine from 102x steel 1.75 OD DOM (.120 WT) tubes, first with angle then later with tube cross members and a sandwich of (I think) 3/16" scrap I had laying around. Welding tube is hard (for me) and the results were meh and I spent a lot of time smoothing the boogers out. Ultimately after some trial and error, I burned the sliders to plates on the frame.

To do over again, I probably should have just bought VKS and saved a billion hours of cutting / fitting / welding / grinding / gouging / re-fitting / screaming / yelling / crying / comfort eating / drinking / yelling at the frame / grinding / fitting / welding / painting. Some day when my delicate ego can handle you assholes critiquing my work, I may post some photos.

I'm really looking forward to my axle project though.
pvanweelden and robertcrav like this.
post #33 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 02:58 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snout View Post
.... Beers are on me if you ever make it this way north...

2015 JKU Sport - 2.5" TF, Currie RJ44s, Detroit/ARB, 5.13s, Poison Spyder Aluminum Flares, Synergy MFG Bumpers, 37" Cooper STT Pros on KMC Machete Beadlocks, Warn 9.5cti
post #34 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
This is all true. Sam is a good customer and he is a guy that is reaaaally hard on his equipment. Unfortunately with some mfg's LA kits there is not a lot of room to mount the rear leg were we specify. We ship the legs unattached/unwelded to be welded up by the installer. His first set they were installed pretty far forward leaving the rear of the slider unsupported (how the damage occured). We recently built him a new set with additional legs and everything out of 1/4" DOM tubing. Just one thing to always keep in mind, anything can bend/break if its hit hard enough. The hit he took as it was explained to me was pretty insane (waterfall climb that went bad) and was really happy he had a good set of sliders because it could of been a hell of a lot worse.

Correct, Sam wheels the shit out of that rig. Think that was in Harlan Kentucky. Looks like he just got it back from the shop and it's about to get the new set of sliders. GATR!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 05:02 PM
Granite Guru

Take a look at the Shrockworks frame mounted bolt-on sliders. I've been very happy with mine. Simple and super tough. They might give you enough room for the cladding. As stated before though, be prepared for a long wait.

"It's not the critic who counts..." T. Roosevelt
post #36 of 44 Old 12-27-2017, 06:47 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder View Post
Would someone on here know if the bolt on ones would be as strong as the welded one, if you were to both bolt and weld the mount in place?

Would there be any reason a person would not want to do this?

Could I still use the bolted ones as a High Lift Jack support (If they were welded)? (I personally hate High Lifts, but am asking in case we get in a pinch)

I am glad you fellas have this information, my previous searches had gone bad, and mostly what I was finding was bolt on bling, not necessarily functional equipment. Lots of sheet metal options to make it look cool, but I hadn't had luck finding something I could put to work.
Adding bolts if you're also welding is just a waste of weight. The weld will hold, the bolt is just pointless in that case.

Also, a well designed bolt-on frame mounted slider should be fine with no weld at all. Bolts are very strong, and if placed well are absolutely capable of holding on a slider. Most people just weld them because then there's no questions about it, and it's actually easier and faster than figuring out how to get bolts through the frame. Pick one, weld or bolts, but both is entirely unnecessary.

An advantage to not welding on your sliders is that when the body is removed from the vehicle it's typically done by lifting the body by the pinch seam right above the slider. If your slider is welded in place, that's going to be a problem and I've heard of at least one person having to cut off their sliders to get their body lifted for something like an engine swap (ironically, completely unrelated to how derailed this conversation went, the person was Eddie!).
pvanweelden and Garden Spyder like this.
post #37 of 44 Old 12-28-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank You all for your input and information! It has been very helpful! Now I just have to study each one and pick the features and look I am going for.

Thanks again!
post #38 of 44 Old 01-19-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I settled my mind on some VKS bolt on sliders, with the option of later welding them on if needed. Thank you all for your input. I am anxious to get them! FWIW I called Vick from VKS and asked him several questions before ordering and he was very patient and come across as a very honest, nice fella. I will definitely keep VKS in mind if/when I need more parts.
post #39 of 44 Old 01-21-2018, 05:58 PM
JKO Addict!

VKS was not out when I purchased my LoDs.

A plug for the LoDs because they are beefy and I have used the heck out of mine. Definitly *wider* than they need to be.

I've seen a lot of VKS on the trail and doing it over again (or when I get around to replacing my LoDs), I'm going VKS.
post #40 of 44 Old 01-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Granite Guru

Hey guys. I am sam and that is my jeep in the pics. I wanted to clarify a few things. First off those were a standard set of sliders that were completely welded by vks. The legs were where they spec them to be. I did mount them a little close to the body which probably caused the damage. I know exactly where it happened and what caused the issue. It was a very steep and muddy trail with a lot of rock ledges that I continuously hit over and over.

Rubi-8 likes this.
post #41 of 44 Old 01-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Rock God

I didn't want to start another thread so, if I may, what are the opinions of the ACE sliders on a 2dr as it has to do with using them as a pivot point?

At the time of purchase, I viewed them as a relatively inexpensive, somewhat protective step, as well as being a quick/easy install w/o having to drill the frame, etc.
I have some reservations about them taking a bodyslammin' drop hit as the "box" that bolts to the Jeep seems like it could flex.
post #42 of 44 Old 01-22-2018, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrockjeepin View Post
Hey guys. I am sam and that is my jeep in the pics. I wanted to clarify a few things. First off those were a standard set of sliders that were completely welded by vks. The legs were where they spec them to be. I did mount them a little close to the body which probably caused the damage. I know exactly where it happened and what caused the issue. It was a very steep and muddy trail with a lot of rock ledges that I continuously hit over and over.

I am having a bit of trouble understanding your comment. Are you saying that the VKS product was good but you were hard on it, or that it was bad, and you expected a better product? I am just asking for clarification.
post #43 of 44 Old 01-22-2018, 01:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden Spyder View Post
I am having a bit of trouble understanding your comment. Are you saying that the VKS product was good but you were hard on it, or that it was bad, and you expected a better product? I am just asking for clarification.

Iím saying that the blame falls on both myself and vks. On me for mounting them too close but also on vks for the leg mounting too far forward (not saying itís not a good product either). Itís a complicated situation and the average user would probably be ok w the standard set that vks offers.

post #44 of 44 Old 01-24-2018, 06:24 AM
Wheeler

Ace frame mount 4 door have done me good so far. Easy to weld on

08 JKU
78 Fj-40
67 M715
47 CJ-2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode