• 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-20-2017, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Willys and Rubicon owners, questions

Hi all! I am in the market and considering three options:
1. Used pentastar JK Rubicon (2 door)
2. New JK (2 door) with willys package
3. Save $15,000 and get a 2006 Rubicon with around 100k on it....but sacrifice the piece of mind I'd have by going newer. (trails are far away living in this stink hole CT, would be worried about breaking down on the way home from Rausch creek for example)

I've tried to educate myself on the three for months now, I get the 06 because of all the XJ's I've had. Not much has changed other than the obvious Rubicon features: light armor, lockers, D44 front and rear with 4.10s, 4:1 t-case, decent wheels and decent tires. Other than the addition of electric swaybar disco, has anything else changed with the newer JK rubicon?

If I go brand new it has to be a willys because I can't justify almost $40k for a new Rubicon....the willys would have stupid insignificant add ons like a willys sticker, some mud floor mats, rock rails that may as well be aluminum foil, but it will have the limited slip rear which I hear is good.

No matter what, I want to try to keep whatever I decide as close to stock as possible. Tires would be 33" or max....35's. Trans will be 6spd manual.

Does anyone have experience off road in both JK rubi and JK willys? My main concern right now is how much more of a pain will minor rock crawling and hill climbs be without the Rubi 4:1 and 4.10s??

Any other input greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2017, 06:18 AM
Wheeler

If I were in that market and able to wait I'd check out the JL's first.

If I wasn't able to wait, and able to wheel every weekend, I'd get a soft top sport with half-doors (would please the spouse) and build from there.

I ASSumed I'd be able to make the 2 1/2 hour drive to wheel mine at least once a month and bought/built my Rubicon accordingly. I have found that life gets in the way more often than not; I made it out three times last year. I would have been fine without the lockers and swaybar disco buttons, 3.5" lift and 35" tires (shoulda gone 37's anyway)...... It is a good time when we are able to make the trek. It just doesn't happen as often as we would like.

2014 JKUR, manual, Metalcloak 3.5" lift, 35" MTR's on stock wheels, SPod, Baja Designs, VKS Pre-Runner rock sliders
post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

I really doubt you need the 4:1 transfer case but the lockers are nice in the rubicon as well as the dana 44 up front. I find the Rubicon cost $6K+ over a comparibly equipped sport and it really depends on what you actually plan do do with the jeep and how much you are planning on upgrading. If you don't want to mess with upgrades and want a true wheeler out of the box then buy a rubicon with 4.10 gears and you are good to go for up to 35" tires without doing anything else to it. If you are going with a sport or willys then like gears and lockers are going to be in your future for 35's. Front axle becomes expensive as well when people typically drop $5K+ in a pro rock 44. I would also wait for the JL if you are looking to buy new. They are already in production and will be offically released in less then two weeks.
Texas_Jester likes this.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-20-2017, 07:11 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I currently have a '14 Rubi and until a month ago a '16 Willys.
IMO there's no substitute for a real locker, I wasn't a fan of the LSD off road.

His- 2014 JKUR
Hers- 2018 JK

Retired- 2016 JKWW
Retired- 2013 JKU
post #5 of 10 Old 11-21-2017, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
I currently have a '14 Rubi and until a month ago a '16 Willys.
IMO there's no substitute for a real locker, I wasn't a fan of the LSD off road.

Thank you! That brings up another question. If money wasn't an issue, would I be able to put an ARB or other higher end locker into an LSD rear?

Is the Rubicon regular open diffs when not locked in 4lo? Or would it have the LSD when in RWD?

Thanks!
post #6 of 10 Old 11-21-2017, 03:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreXJ View Post
Thank you! That brings up another question. If money wasn't an issue, would I be able to put an ARB or other higher end locker into an LSD rear?

Is the Rubicon regular open diffs when not locked in 4lo? Or would it have the LSD when in RWD?

Thanks!
The Rubicon isn't LSD when unlocked, just open. Not a problem, in my opinion, for two reasons. First, the newer ones still have what Jeep calls "brake lock" differential, which simply means it will apply brake pressure to a spinning tire, which has a similar effect to a limited slip. Second, the clutches in the limited slip are reported to wear out quickly, so I don't think you gain all that much with it.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-21-2017, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Interesting. Can an LSD diff have a locker installed?

I will be driving in snow every winter, and hit the trails year round if possible maybe once every other month or so. (nothing major though, if I go new I wouldn't be able to afford to break it, just some rocks and hill climbs would give me my fix...haha)

What are we talking for the clutches in the LSD wearing out? Is that rebuildable under warranty if they go within the first 5 years? If not covered by warranty, can the vehicle still be driven with worn LSD clutches? I know posi, and all that from the old school drag cars I used to work on, but I'm not familiar at all with how LSD works. My buddy has it in his JKU, and I've been told it's great in snow.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-21-2017, 05:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreXJ View Post
Interesting. Can an LSD diff have a locker installed?

I will be driving in snow every winter, and hit the trails year round if possible maybe once every other month or so. (nothing major though, if I go new I wouldn't be able to afford to break it, just some rocks and hill climbs would give me my fix...haha)

What are we talking for the clutches in the LSD wearing out? Is that rebuildable under warranty if they go within the first 5 years? If not covered by warranty, can the vehicle still be driven with worn LSD clutches? I know posi, and all that from the old school drag cars I used to work on, but I'm not familiar at all with how LSD works. My buddy has it in his JKU, and I've been told it's great in snow.
The LSD guts come out when you install a locker. It's normally either/or.

The clutches in an LSD can be replaced, but I don't know if that would fall under warranty or not. Probably considered a wear item. When the clutches wear out it will simply function like an open differential, with no resistance, but will otherwise work fine.

My Rubicon has been fine in the snow with open diffs.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-21-2017, 05:27 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Save yourself a lot of time and money. Hold out for a Rubicon thatís never been off the pavement but probably crawled over some parking dividers at the mall. Believe me, there are plenty around and you can probably pick one up cheap. Like someone said above, 35ís will work and you will have a very capable Jk. Check out the classified section here or on Pirate. Good luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #10 of 10 Old 11-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Save yourself a lot of time and money. Hold out for a Rubicon thatís never been off the pavement but probably crawled over some parking dividers at the mall. Believe me, there are plenty around and you can probably pick one up cheap. Like someone said above, 35ís will work and you will have a very capable Jk. Check out the classified section here or on Pirate. Good luck.
This was the route I took. 2012 bought in 2016, not a scratch on it, never thought about going offroad. Throw on 2.5" lift and 35s and you have a very capable rig.

2012 JKUR, 2.5" RK Flex, 35" Falken MTs, VKS Sliders, PSC Fenders and Tire Carrier, Crawler Conceptz Skinny Rear Bumper, Amazon Cheap-o Special Front Bumper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode