Are 37's worth the expense - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Are 37's worth the expense

I've been wheeling an Early Bronco for the past 15 years, and recently purchased a '08 JKU Rubicon. I'm now trying to figure out how far I should go. I love the look of 37's but can't see why there is over $100 difference between 35's and 37's. I've wheeled my Bronco with 35's and have done every trail I have wanted to. The JKU is a bit longer then the old Bronco, and with the gas tank the ground clearance can't compete until I get in the 40" tire range. I want to be as free with the JKU as I was with the Bronco. Steady trips to the Moab, Hammers and Possibly Dusy Ershim. I plan to set up the Jeep pretty much the same no matter what tire size I run: 3" lift, cut the inner fenders, and Xenon flares; if I go to 37's I will put on a 1" body lift to help clear.

Here is the question: Aside from aesthetics, which 37's look great, is the 1" of ground clearance worth the $500-$700 more? I never thought they were on the Bronco. Will the 1" buy much on the longer JKU?

I'm not interested in keeping up with the Jones's, I could care less what the biggest and baddest thing out there is. If that was the case I would run 609's and 42's. I want a rig I can comfortably drive across the country, wheel and drive it back. I know this can happen with 35's and 37's. Thanks for the input.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Rock God

NO!

I wheeled both and 35's are plenty. UNLESS you're into a lot of rockcrawling and need the extra clearance! The only way I would run em is on rubi 44'ers and upgraded driveshafts...

What kind of terrain will you be wheeling on? If your staying on the street then you can run either but expect 13 to 14 in MPG.

hope that helps..

Lifted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #3 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't think anybody can honestly answer this question for you, because it all really depends on your own personal preferences. I run 3" of lift and 35's and have been very happy with the set up; one of my buds runs 37's and really likes those as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

terrahawk I can see your point. I was just looking for some justification. I will be on the rocks more then anything else when off road. I will change the gears to compensate for the tires. I'm just trying to justify the 1". If it was a lift I would go ahead an buy it. Tires you have to replace every couple of years which multiplies the expense.

I've search the forums for a good discussion but only find alot of information on flex and ride but not much on ground clearance. They only seem to mention that they drag the gas tank over everything.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 07:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

With the longer wheel base you will definitely kiss the skid plates, even with the 37's on some obstacles. Either way, I recomend getting an after market gas tank skid to beef up the stock one. You could get one wiht the money you save going with the 35's vs. the 37's. Poly Performance has one as does Rock Hard 4x4 and Treks. The PP stuff is really nice and well designed!
post #6 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

pm jeffmarion, I think that's how he spells his user name. He runs 37's and 4" of lift on an unlimited and could give you some first hand knowledge.
post #7 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 07:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I say, yes they are worth it. The extra length of the Unlimited makes it a whole different beast from what you are used to. Low center of gravity is important, but with the extra wheel base, you have to get that big fat belly up. The extra lift won't hurt you as bad on cg either compared to you Bronco because the wheel base will give you more stability.

Every little bit helps. I've been running 37's with a 4" lift for well over a year and I still beat the snot out of the belly.

post #8 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the info. Logic says to go with the 37's but I was wondering if the 35's and a heavy skid plate for the tank would work just as well. I tried to do the math and unless I run a 6" lift and 40's I'm going to have an issue draging the tank. The axles won't hold up to me and 40's, 37's are pushing it, thats one reason why I would like to stick with 35's. If I'm going to drag why spend the extra money on and inch of tire? I'm leaning to 37's but I would like to hear from some guys that are running a 4dr with 35's and have run some rough trails.

Quote:

post #9 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
I say, yes they are worth it. The extra length of the Unlimited makes it a whole different beast from what you are used to. Low center of gravity is important, but with the extra wheel base, you have to get that big fat belly up. The extra lift won't hurt you as bad on cg either compared to you Bronco because the wheel base will give you more stability.

Every little bit helps. I've been running 37's with a 4" lift for well over a year and I still beat the snot out of the belly.

The 1" of extra clearance does wonders for not scraping the gas tank...

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #10 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
JKO Addict!

None of this crap (uh, stuff) is really "worth" it. It is what you "want". Thats how I look at it anyways.

An unlimited on 35s will go 99% of the places that one with 37s will go.

BUT... that other 1% is where the 37s will shine!!! An extra 1" of clearance sometimes can dictate whether you go forward or not. Especially in the rocks.

Its a never ending give and take--- of course taller/bigger tires put more strain on everything. But, they may get you through a spot that the smaller tires wont.

I just went to 38"s and I am just waiting for something to break! Worried about the steering and front axle joints especially.

I am not going to say its impossible, but- an Unlimited on 35s on the Hammers would be VERRRRY challenging to say the least!

Go for it--- its only money!!!

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #11 of 30 Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

If you get the 37s, you'll never regret it. If you get the 35s, you will, at some point, regret it. You'll be stuck on some rock somewhere going "I bet I could have cleared this rock w/ 37s."

You wont find yourself saying "I could have cleared that rock w/ 35s." Nope. You'll just look back at it in your mirror and smile.

No regrets.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #12 of 30 Old 10-07-2008, 06:12 AM
Granite Guru

Been on 37s went back to 35s. With 5.13 R&P the Jeep 3.8l was just to damn gutless on 37s OD is out of the question (auto) and it spent way more time in 2nd gear (at redline) to go down the highway than I could stomach. So we built nuke proof armor went back to 35s, drag it through stuff and have a Jeep that will go down the road not in 2nd gear at redline (and sub 10MPG). With the 35s it's back in the 15MPG range, still hunts in and out of OD and on the big passes drops into 2nd but for the most part will cruise down the highway. Plus braking performance is better with the 35's, was marginal IMO with 37's, less rotational mass on the axle shafts and R&Ps as well which will lead to longer parts life.

With all that said, the down fall to the shorter tire on a 4dr is break over angle. We run short lifts here and stuff tires under the Jeeps. I have been turtled a couple times with the long wheel base and low break over of the JK. The set up did really well on the Rubicon this summer with no hang ups - pun intended. I did get pickled a couple times in Moab on big ledges though. It's all really were you wheel and what you expect out of the Jeep. IMO the 4dr is a great weekend getaway Jeep you can drive to and from and to work on Monday - Exploring back roads, trails, etc. If you want a Jeep for Hardcore (you mention the Hammers) get a shorter Jeep... OR make yours taller, go 37s and deal with the gutlessness (if that's a word...)

Keep in mind this is from my perspective, I'm typing to you from 6200 feet of elevation and everything here needs more power! We have strong winds 200+ days a year and every trail is an uphill battle to get to from here. At sea level you may get better results from the 3.8 & 37s...

Bob

- "Master Your Terrain"

We offer a 10% discount to all active duty military personnel!
post #13 of 30 Old 10-07-2008, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Well put, Rock Yacht-

I kinda forgot about the power issue as I have the supercharger (thats a whole nother thread about "is it worth it")

Mine still sucks if its really windy out.

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #14 of 30 Old 10-07-2008, 08:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100dollarman View Post
Well put, Rock Yacht-

I kinda forgot about the power issue as I have the supercharger (thats a whole nother thread about "is it worth it")

Mine still sucks if its really windy out.
Heck, I'm still on 4.10's and no super charger. I don't have to worry about the over drive though, because I turn it off right after I turn the key. At least I'm near sea level. I'm trying to hold out for 5.38's.
post #15 of 30 Old 10-07-2008, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks for the replies. The input is educating. Like I said before I never regreted the 35's on my Bronco, but I look at the JKU and It screams 37's. I've only spotted for a friend in the Hammers ('88 4Runner/straight axle/dual T-case on 35's) and want to keep up with him. I thing the 4Runner is shorter then the JKU. I know I have more power then the 22re, but I'm going to hold out for 5.38's as long as I can.

The Moab is where I like to play, but my Navy buddies sometimes can't make it out that far. So, the Hammers is a good compromise. That's why I want to be sure I can make the 1500 mile drive w/37's. I know the axles can hold up. It's the wheel bearings I don't trust. I sold my tow rig ans trailer to try this exercise with a dual purpose rig. I want to make it work.

Quote:

post #16 of 30 Old 10-08-2008, 03:21 AM
Rock God

I did 35's and AiROCK, so when I need an extra inch, I hit a button.

Ron

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world.
But the Marines don't have that problem." ..... Ronald Reagan

post #17 of 30 Old 10-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Granite Guru

Talking

Sometimes its not so much the extra inch of ground clearance, as the extra length of the contact patch, and higher tire mid point, that make a 37 able to roll over things that stop a 35, etc.

The longer the contact patch, the better the forward traction (Think "Tank Tread").

Obviously, for 40's, its even MORE the case, etc....but to RUN 40's, you spend MUCHO dinaro on drivetrain mods to handle them, whereas 37's seem to be a reasonable point of diminishing return.

I also believe you will NEVER lift enough to clear EVERYTHING anyway...and believe in armor over lift as a priority, and as an insurance policy for getting to work again Monday morning, etc.

I like big heavy tires if I'm off camber, as they lower my COG, and I dislike crazy high lifts because they raise my COG....and I'm off camber A LOT around here....typically when loaded with equipment I have to haul into remote locations, etc....which makes it even worse.

I know what you mean about the trade off between a wide, stable track, and the damn wheel bearings dealing with the added leverage. sigh.

So - only you can truly prioritize the economy vs the capability issues....as there IS no universally "right" answer.

You can do more with 37's, but it costs more for the tires, and, between 35's and 37's, the added rolling resistance goes from slight, to significant....costing more for gas.

I look at it like OK, I bought a rig to offroad, I am driving 1,000's of miles to GET TO places to offroad (And to work, so I can PAY for it...), how WELL do I want it to offroad?

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingtrail View Post
I did 35's and AiROCK, so when I need an extra inch, I hit a button.
Ron
Did you get their neat dual swaybar too?
I really dig the AiRock kits...

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #19 of 30 Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
So - only you can truly prioritize the economy vs the capability issues....as there IS no universally "right" answer.
x2 on that statement. If it was a straight up choice of economics, then the 35's are the obvious answer, as if you didn't already know that.

I personally run 37's and I'm luv'in it. I have a manual tranny and 5.13's and it gets around great. I admit I am conciously easy on the skinny pedal and I get about 16-17 mpg. She has some pretty good power if ya want/need it. Not supercharger power or hemi power but some power thanks to the gearing. Although if you do start jetting around it easily drops to about 12-13 mpg.

I have never had 35's so I can't make a comparison for ya but the 37's have taken me places and over obstacles that I wouldn't have thought to be possible. That's not to say they couldn't have been accomplished on 35's but I'm sure having the 37's made a (or even "the") difference. I should add that I also have been running a 4" teraflex lift so I have had that extra bit of clearance there as well. I haven't had any drive train issue yet (knock on wood) but I expect that at some point something may eventually fail and then need to be upgraded.

I would suggest that if it's that much of a debate for an additional 1" of clearance then think about getting a 4" lift. That'll get the frame up an additional 1" and then it's just a choice of lines for clearing the diff's and shock mounts.

It's a tough choice but your's to make. Good luck and enjoy the build.

Last edited by scrogg; 10-08-2008 at 06:20 AM.
post #20 of 30 Old 10-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Wheeler

With me it was how long I expected my tires to last. I don't drive my Jeep too much...maybe 7000 miles a year so I figure my tires will last 4-6 years depending on how they hold up. $400-$500 over that time period I figured it was worth it to me to have the 37's. If I was going through tires every year or two I may go with 35's. Of course now I run 37's I want to go 40's The thing I figure is with airing down 37's seem pretty small on the rocks and 40's aired down would be about right...of course I would have to upgrade the axles...does it ever end
post #21 of 30 Old 10-08-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm not really looking for someone to make the decision for me, I want to here from people who are running the equipment now have opinions, good and bad.

I run a 6 speed and will change the gearing. I'm worried about the weight of the 37's on the highway. I've changed enough wheel bearings on the shoulder of almost every highway in this country to last me a lifetime. I don't want to have to change the 44's to 60's. If I was going to do that I would have put 40's and 609's in the Bronco and kept wheeling. I like the JKU and its modern comfort.

I think I'm going to work this in steps with out the lift first:
Plate the Gas tank for IED's
5.13's or 5.38's(if available)
Xenon flares and cut the sheet metal back
1" Body lift.
35" BFGs, maybe 36" swampers on 15x10's
I'll test this in Disney, OK when done, then Moab next spring.

If I don't like it I'll put a 3-4" suspension lift and run 37's.

Anymore experiences or comments would be appreciated.

Quote:

post #22 of 30 Old 10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Wheeler

I ran with my 37's all over Moab. I've done Pritchett, Hell's Revenge, Moab Rim, etc. I never hung up on any of them that I felt like I wouldn't have hung up with any size tire. I'm not sure if I would have hung up with 35's or not on some of the other stuff. I felt glad that I had my 37's once I aired down. I don't have any skids yet except I relocated my muffler. I have an automatic with 5.13's.
post #23 of 30 Old 10-15-2008, 10:38 AM

I say go with the 35's. I have a '08 Rubicon with a 2.5" teraflex BB and 1" body lift with 35's. I have no rubbing, a low CG and get up almost anything I want. I went to Moab a few months ago and went pretty much everywhere I wanted. I did Moab Rim, Hells Revenge, Flat Iron Mesa, Pritchett, Kane creek and potato salad all with ease (Pretty much the same places the guy who posted before me went but im on 35's). We camp out by BFE and I played there all weekend long and played on a lot of hard stuff there, even went half way up Green Day until I turned around because there was an hour wait of people on the trail. If I went on any harder trails I would have been getting bad body damage which I don't really want. All my buddies wanted to sell their jeeps and get a JK after seeing mine. Granted my underside of my jeep is bashed to hell and has scrapes all over it but nothing is broken. My plan is just to get a lot of skids for it. My gas tank holds like 2-3 gallons less gas now haha.
I want 37's because they look bad ass on jk's but I will never get them because then I need to regear, get chromoly shafts and get a bigger lift. Right now I have about $700 lift, $1100 in tires, $350 in a bumper, $200 in wheel spacers invested into my jeep total. I can go pretty much where ever I want driving there and drive home and then taking it to the dealer with no hassle (cuz I have a cool dealer) if something breaks. Works perfectly for me.

I have a few Videos on youtube of my car walking up a few things with no problems for proof. Mine is the red JK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C9nM5H9v_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fycXBT64ukg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyU1xhplP8o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYoH01fj0rM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oLyXjp3-XA
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=msneyd

Last edited by RubyRed44; 10-15-2008 at 12:22 PM.
post #24 of 30 Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Rock God

not if it is a daily driver.
post #25 of 30 Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
I think I'm going to work this in steps with out the lift first:
5.13's or 5.38's(if available)
Check that chit out dood.....

JK Rubicon Dana 44 5.38 R&P's.

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode