Having a problem with water on floorboard - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By j3ff3ry_j33p
  • 1 Post By Bfmine
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-16-2017, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Having a problem with water on floorboard

Hey there.
I?m having a problem with my 2017 jkur I?ve been searching leak threads and can?t aeem to find the fix to my leak.
I first noticed it about a week after i got my jeep. It seem like the water is coming from the top corner of the door where it meets the top of the windshield. Happens on the driver side only. Looks like water leaks past the door seal. Rides the windshield down to the tub. Goes down the tub then leaks onto the floor and collects on my floor mat.
My windshield to hardtop gasket looked like it wasn?t secured very good so a few weeks ago i peeked the corner back and got some weatherstripping adhesive in it. Seemed to help a little But still leaks.
Can anyone lead me to the proper fix.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I do not want to assume anything and I cannot 100% diagnose what your problem may be without being there but from an owner of many jeeps and currently a JKU owner that has a hardtop plus all the other types of tops you can get; I know leaks.

If this is your first jeep , I will do you a straight-up favor and be the guy that introduces you to a little secret. It is called Butyl Tape.
It is a putty pliable malleable rubber sealing roll of gummy waterproof tape that is largely used by the storm window and RV folks but it is a miracle leak fixer on Jeep hardtops.

Also, if you are talking about the Freedom top, it is important to put the driver panel in last after the passenger side. I have had it leak and all it took was an unlatch , a lift-push-upward of the driver panel (straight up over your head as you're seated in driver seat) then lowering the panel straight back down and re-clasp .
It is very easy to pinch or crimp or have them mis seat if you installed in wrong order(driver then then the passenger side).
If that doesn't get it , check that the upper corner door seal on the edge & that it or any of the other trim weeatherstripping hasn't gotten knocked-off its guide or retainer.

Here is the link to the butyl tape ;amazon lifetime supply.
The smell grows on you after it fills your toolbox after 15 years.
I have plugged my shoes up before with the stuff. It is awesome and you can use it for all sorts of cool stuff.
http://a.co/ihNaACN

good luck.
ExWrench likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-16-2017, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your recommendation. This is my third jeep. Had an 89 yj and still have an 03 tj. Blows my mind that this 40k+ jeep is leaking. But i refuse to take it to the stealer
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-16-2017, 07:23 PM
Random Dude

I don't remember where I saved this from 5 years ago, but it was easier to upload than search for:

Jeep Wrangler Diagnosis and Repair Manual for Water Leaks
Attached Images
File Type: pdf JK_Water_Leaks_All.pdf (5.33 MB, 171 views)
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 11-16-2017 at 09:25 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-17-2017, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfmine View Post
Thanks for your recommendation. This is my third jeep. Had an 89 yj and still have an 03 tj. Blows my mind that this 40k+ jeep is leaking. But i refuse to take it to the stealer
youre not alone .
Non of my Jeeps , including the Ď11 jku , have ever been back to a dealer since we bought them. I havenít allowed anyone except Wide Open Design (OX & regearing ) touch my Jeeps.
Oh, Essentially Off Road burnt my front truss on . But thatís it. Ďcanít trust anybody to do things right.

ExWrenchs water leak diag is gonna help ya

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode