New guy - suspension question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigTB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-06-2017, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

New guy - suspension question

Good evening all. First post, as I've been lurking and reading for the past few weeks. I'm currently hunting for a 15+ JKU since selling my well loved F150 (tuned Ecoboost, Leveled, tires, etc) earlier this year for a more practical vehicle for me and the Mrs. It's time for me to get back into something with some height.

Anyhow, here's my question: I found a great, low-ish mile 15 JKU Rubicon that fits all of my wants and many of my needs (3.73 gear, trailer tow, hardtop, color) however it has a 3" Zone lift. I know the Zone lift is very basic, but is it bad enough to run urgently away from the purchase? I've searched, but it's challenging to find much feedback on their kits, and maybe that's a sign.

It'll be my DD, with some very light off-roading (hunting camp, fireroads, fields, beach) so it's more "mall crawler" than anything. I've read that the coils are prone to sag, and the shocks are questionable. It's already sitting on respectable 18" XD wheels and Nitto rubber. Just looking for input as the price is right and the vehicle details are near perfect. I could easily swap to Fox 2.0 or Bilsteins in the future, but would another set of coils be wise? I won't be going any higher, so 2.5-3" is the sweet spot.

Thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-06-2017, 07:20 PM
JKO Addict!

If it is what you want then buy it. Zone is a budget lift and incomplete. Sagging coils is likely a good thing as it will give you a little caster back. The steering may feel a bit flighty and you might have some drive line clearance issues if they were not addressed with the exhaust spacer or after market driveshaft.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Granite Guru

You didn't mention how tall the tires are, but you could very easily and very cheaply ditch the zone lift and go back to stock suspension. If you're just doing fire roads and such, a lift isn't really necessary.

If it's a fair price, I'd buy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
You didn't mention how tall the tires are, but you could very easily and very cheaply ditch the zone lift and go back to stock suspension. If you're just doing fire roads and such, a lift isn't really necessary.

If it's a fair price, I'd buy it.
This right here... a decent set of springs isn't too much either if it's already got taller tires. Good luck and cheers!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 13 Old 11-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Go to the classified section under free stuff. Sometimes you can find an entire suspension such as a stock OEM rubicon OR Peeps upgraded their old upgraded suspension. OR leave it alone if no issues. There may be a reason why you can’t find a write up on Zone.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 11-06-2017 at 09:16 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-07-2017, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the responses.
It’s sitting on 35x12.50x18 at the moment with stock flares. It sits level at the moment and appears to have clearance expected with a 2.5-3” height increase. Sounds like it’s not a major deterrent. Sadly I haven’t been able to lay eyes on the rig as it’s 110 miles north, but that may change shortly. The listing dealer has been accommodating in sending me pictures as requested. The undercarriage is clean with no signs of corrosion or evidence of a recent undercoating trying to hide rust.
I already passed on a 16 Sahara that looked like the salt had gotten to it in PA and this one in MD seems quite clean and not too molested.

Last edited by MCDavis; 11-07-2017 at 04:41 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-08-2017, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Passing on this one too. Dealer isn't giving me good feelings, and with some additional pictures provided there are some abuse issues inside that I cannot get past.
The search continues...

Currently searching...

Former truck guy in seek of altitude.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-08-2017, 06:46 AM
Rock God

Sorry the first one didn't work out. Good luck in your search and welcome to the site.
MCDavis likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-08-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'm in a position where I can be selective since I don't "need" the vehicle immediately. I'll find something, even if it takes a few months.
I did run across the fellas at RubiTrux and they present an enticing option though, and they're just a few hours down the road. Might have to pick their brains.

Currently searching...

post #10 of 13 Old 11-08-2017, 11:01 AM
Rock God

Just a thought, but you might be surprised at the minimal difference in pricing between a fairly new used jeep and a brand new jeep. For me, the difference in price (a couple grand) was not worth buying used.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

You're right, and I'm teetering the top of that fence for sure. Since it's my DD with light off road use there are few non-negotiables for me and thus my pool of vehicles is slim as a result. Being that I spend more time behind a desk than I have free time, I also don't have gobs of time to wrench or mod myself like I once did with my F150. That said, a turnkey build, while expensive may fit my needs better...also then the wife doesn't beetch about how much time I spend tinkering with a vehicle.

Currently searching...

post #12 of 13 Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Scooter View Post
Just a thought, but you might be surprised at the minimal difference in pricing between a fairly new used jeep and a brand new jeep. For me, the difference in price (a couple grand) was not worth buying used.
Yup, particularly a modified one, as they often seem priced with the component value and labor added to the price.

I found the same thing when I was looking. Before I bought my 2014 new I was looking at used. One thing making my situation worse is that I was looking at Rubicons. To save even $5-8K over a new Rubicon I was looking at minimum 5 year old Jeeps with 40-80K miles. Don't get me wrong, $8K is nothing to sneeze at. But to save that money I'd have been getting a Jeep that has its best years and miles behind it, has no warranty and will probably need at least something (tires, etc.) before long, if not right away. Plus I'd have been missing out on the 3.6L and new interior.

I think the base price has gone up since then, and there are a ton of used Wranglers out there these days, so the situation may have changed somewhat. Might depend on what you are looking for as well. I wanted a two door manual Rubicon, and it seemed like 90% of what was out there at the time were four door autos. So with limited options I was less likely to find a good deal.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-08-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Itís definitely a challenge to find one thatís modded tastefully and not on the absolute cheap while also finding one that isnít ragged out.
Found a 15 Rubicon full of professionally installed AEV components today. Few hours south of me. Clean truck with everything on my must haves but leather. Price is a bit over my target but could be worth it. Definitely worth considering.

Currently searching...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode