JKOwners Forum banner

09 JKU Sahara shock replacement

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  CBarclay 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
My 09 JKU Sahara has 176k miles on it's second set of shocks and one of them is starting to weep a little.
Before I bought it a bout 4500miles ago it wasn't driven off road much. I drive highway and forest service/fire roads mostly.
It still drives fine but I need to start thinking about replacing.
I'm not interested in a lift and would like to maintain the ride quality I have (which is nice on and off road - nothing extreme - but I can tell that the shocks are at the end of their functional life).

I'm fairly comfortable with tools and replacing stuff, fluid changes, etc. but have never replaced suspension parts. Is it a fairly straightforward process? Does it require experience and wisdom? Special tools?

I'd like to improve the stock/oem replacement shocks and I'm thinking that the springs could be replaced at the same time. In looking around I've seen folks suggest finding a set of Rubicon takeoffs. I don't live too far from Rubitrux and saw that they have Rubi shocks and springs available regularly. This seems like a good budget friendly option (which is important).

What should I know to plan this replacement?

Also, thanks to everyone for bearing with all my newb questions. I'm learning a lot and appreciate the help!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you own a set of wrenches, shocks won't be a big problem. You will want a floor jack and jack stands and a set of wrenches.

Here is a link if you didn't find any videos.

When it comes to the springs, you will most likely need some more help and wrenches. There is a lot more disassembling that is involved with that. Just make sure you mark what goes back together and take pictures to help reference.

#5 · (Edited)
Do y'all think I'm over thinking the idea of replacing the springs too? I have no idea how to tell if mine are worn and need replacement or not. I guess I just assumed that since the Rubi takeoffs are typically seen as a set of springs and shocks that I'd need to do that too.
For what it's worth my springs are 16/59

#7 · (Edited)
Another update:
I got the new(er) shocks and springs on (with the help of a mechanic) and am a little surprised at the difference. I honestly didn’t expect much aside from slight ride improvement. But it’s a significant ride improvement- smoother on road, stopping, cornering, etc. But there is also a difference in the stance and height.
And now it’s time for some pictures...
Before:

After:

I’m seeing about 2” front and 1 5/8” rear height increase. Now time to see if the wife and kids can tell a difference...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.