22K miles lifted and now my own ESP/BAS light story - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-05-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom
22K miles lifted and now my own ESP/BAS light story

lifted my JK the week I bought it, originally a 2.5" BB kit then mutated into a 5.5" lift.
Everything has been great, NO esp problems, I've always kept my wheel centered after every iteration of lift and zero problems.

Yesterday I took a pretty good hit on the tie rod - one of those stupid concrete survey markers in the middle of my yard at about 30MPH (don't ask)
Wiped out the monument, just scuffed the paint on the tie rod - it hit just inside the drivers side adjuster sleeve. But it was a good enough whack to un-center my steering.
I noticed on the way to work this morning that the wheel is off a fair bit, on my way home "ding" esp/bas lights come on. I drove on home, ran a couple of errands. every time I started the jeep "ding".
So I go grab my 15mm, loosen the drag link sleeve give it about 1.25 turns to recenter the wheel, drove for a few minutes and the lights went off

So here's to hoping they stay off.
So far in my experience, keeping the wheel dead on centered seems to be the key

high steer is in the very near future so I'm not done playing with it yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

This will be my solution to steering/ ESP issues...If you have further (irritating) issues with yours, then you might consider adding this to your wish list...

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sk255-...kit-p-733.html
post #3 of 13 Old 10-05-2008, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

yeah, WISH list!
unfortunately there's about 1690.8 reasons I cant have that right now

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

LOL

Well, you could consider not hitting things with your steering system.

That's FREE!

I know, I know.... nothing like 20/20 hindsight.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-05-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

yeah yeah, but on the bright side, I don't have to mow around the damn thing anymore!

Quote:
post #6 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 06:03 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
This will be my solution to steering/ ESP issues...If you have further (irritating) issues with yours, then you might consider adding this to your wish list...
But that will not address the position of the tie rod and it will still be vulnerable to getting hit.

I bent my chromoly tie rod this weekend, and had the ESP/BAS light on for the journey home. After re-setting the toe it went out.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 06:08 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
So I go grab my 15mm, loosen the drag link sleeve give it about 1.25 turns to recenter the wheel, drove for a few minutes and the lights went off
That corrected the steering wheel position, but your toe needs adjusting as it will most probably be off.

It was very likely that a change in the tie rod geometry knocked your steering off, and that is what needs to be adjusted.

After tweaking my tie rod this weekend, my toe was off by approx 0.5. I reset the toe and adjusted the drag link to put everything back to normal.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I bent my chromoly tie rod this weekend
Really?

Jason
post #9 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Really?
Yup, big rock + tie rod + 5,000lb JK = bent tie rod.

It's not heavily bent, but you can eye ball it. If it were a stock one, I'm pretty certain it would have been a lot worse. I'm not overly concerned about it, these things happen and it's still straight enough to work well. I've caught it on rocks quite a few times with no issues, but was a bit brutal on it this weekend.

Sometimes the rocks win
post #10 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
That corrected the steering wheel position, but your toe needs adjusting as it will most probably be off.
you're correct,the tie rod got hit so it should be what bent- so recentering the wheel with the drag link is just a band aid. It also drives a little different, a little more prone to following the grooves in the road so it prob needs a little toe out added.
BUT I'm getting ready to redo the front end of the jeep with adj arms and a high steer conversion so I figure I'll live with it for a bit till then and actually try to find an alignment shop that can handle 35x12.50s and get it reset properly so I have a good basis to knock everything out of whack from

Quote:
post #11 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
Yup, big rock + tie rod + 5,000lb JK = bent tie rod.

It's not heavily bent, but you can eye ball it. If it were a stock one, I'm pretty certain it would have been a lot worse. I'm not overly concerned about it, these things happen and it's still straight enough to work well. I've caught it on rocks quite a few times with no issues, but was a bit brutal on it this weekend.

Sometimes the rocks win
im sure all the tie rods are the same strength with the same tubing but what were you running?

i have hit mine good, dropped about 15" straight onto to a rock with the tie rod and it held up great. I gues sI got lucky and you found the "spot"

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #12 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeep View Post
im sure all the tie rods are the same strength with the same tubing but what were you running?
A Poly Performance heat treated chromoly tie rod, which is way stronger than the stock one. I used to bend the stock one on every wheeling trip.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
BUT I'm getting ready to redo the front end of the jeep with adj arms and a high steer conversion so I figure I'll live with it for a bit till then and actually try to find an alignment shop that can handle 35x12.50s and get it reset properly so I have a good basis to knock everything out of whack from
That makes sense, as it's most probably only off by a little anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode