• 1 Post By ravencr
  • 1 Post By ravencr
  • 1 Post By ravencr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My Wife's Mild Recon Buildup

Hey guys,

We finally bought our first Jeep a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit I've never seen my wife so giddy to drive a vehicle. I like it too, but the one thing that's really annoying me about it is the almost buffeting/echoing sound not to mention the super high level of wind noise with the hard top on and the windows up. But, nevertheless, I am excited about the versatility of it and the somewhat out of the box wheel-ability of it, as well. So, my wife wants to keep it low, because she'll be daily driving it with two kiddos in car seats. Here it sits in stock form, minus the front bumper extensions.

The first thing I wanted to do is replace the the tires and wheels, so we ended up choosing the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35"x12.50"x17". After doing some reading on here, I decided I wanted to find a wheel that was hub centric, so we decided on the ATX AX194 Ravines with the grey spokes and black outer ring.

Chris
Banshee, Spartan65USMC and Rubi-8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-14-2017, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here's a list of the things we've ordered for it so far:

- MetalCloak Aluminum Hardline Fenders
- MetalCloak Aluminum Front Inner Fender Liners
- MetalCloak Skid Plates
- MetalCloak Fender to Grill Reinforcement

- Rubitrux Maximum-3 Winch Plate
- Rubitrux Maximus Red Winch Hook Anchor
- Rubitrux Maximus-3 Filler Trim Plates
- Rubitrux Maximus-3 Front Bumper End Caps

- Warn Zeon 12-S Platinum Winch
- Factor 55 1.5" Aluminum Fairlead

- AEV Rear Differential Slider
- AEV 2" Spacer Lift

- Hothead Headliner & Side Panels with Sound Assassin

- Bartact Paracord Grab Handles

- Hi-Lift X-Treme Jack

- Powertank Drop Bracket

- Staun Tire Deflators

- Rock Hard 4x4 Evap Canister Relocation Kit
- Rock Hard 4x4 Bolt-On Rear LCA Skid Plates

- RotoPax 2 Gallon Gas Can
- RotoPax LOX Pack Mount

- Teraflex Hi-Lift Jack Mount
- Teraflex Rotopax Mount

That's it so far...we're heading to Moab, UT the beginning of November. Normally we're in SxS's, but I'm excited to wheel the new Jeep.

I'm curious what folks that wheel aggressively carry for spare parts and tools for the Jeep? I have to admit I've been a Toyota guy my whole life, so I know those backwards and forwards. But, I know virtually nothing about these Jeeps.

Chris
post #3 of 14 Old 10-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Wheeler

Nice build!
Would you mind pulling your third brake light off to share the part number for it. Thank you kindly. It's like the last piece I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-26-2017, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It's the factory 3rd brake light...came like that when we bough it.

Chris
post #5 of 14 Old 10-29-2017, 06:10 PM
Rock God

Have fun in Moab. Went there for the first time last year. Hope to make it out again one day. We met a couple on the trail in a rented SxS and they said they go often in their Jeep, and it was their first time in something else. They said it was a whole different experience.

Didn't have a bunch of spare parts with me (was with a couple other Jeeps/Jeepers), I think I just had a spare u-joint, some hand tools, air compressor, tire repair stuff, few other misc items I'm probably forgetting. I also only have 33" tires, so I am less tempted to try difficult obstacles, and have less stress on components than 35s give, so that helps.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 AM

Nice build! Love the black recon edition. Got any photos of it with the mods installed?
post #7 of 14 Old 03-03-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I haven't had much time to dedicate to forums lately, but we had a great 5 week trip in the Jeep. I'll post a bunch of videos and pics as soon as I can...Moab was outstanding as usual.

Since then, I haven't touched the Jeep till recently. One thing that really irritates me about this vehicle is the noise level. After doing a little research, apparently there's little to no sound deadening material anywhere in these Jeeps. I understand the utilitarian off-road capability motto of the Wrangler, but when you buy a $50K+ vehicle, I personally expect at least some attempt by the manufacturer to keep noise down. Jeep, in this case, does virtually nothing, resulting in a very annoying resonance and wind noise that is atrocious in my opinion.

Needless to say, I bought a bunch of Dynamat products to begin quieting it down. I started yesterday with covering the underside of the hood with Dynamat Xtreme and then their Hoodliner. I also removed the piece in between the hood and the windshield, because as you'll see in the video, it sounded like a tin can before applying the Dynamat.

I plan to tear apart the doors and basically the whole interior to apply Xtreme, DynaLiner, and some DynaPad throughout the entire interior. I had already installed the hot heads headliner, which did make a good difference. But, it really needs a lot more work to quiet this thing down.

I'll post more videos as I get around to it, but here's the first short one of the hood. I did have to trim the section of the Hoodliner above the intake (not shown), which I guessed I would.

I haven't had much time to dedicate to forums lately, but we had a great 5 week trip in the Jeep. I'll post a bunch of videos and pics as soon as I can...Moab was outstanding as usual.

Since then, I haven't touched the Jeep till recently. One thing that really irritates me about this vehicle is the noise level. After doing a little research, apparently there's little to no sound deadening material anywhere in these Jeeps. I understand the utilitarian off-road capability motto of the Wrangler, but when you buy a $50K+ vehicle, I personally expect at least some attempt by the manufacturer to keep noise down. Jeep, in this case, does virtually nothing, resulting in a very annoying resonance and wind noise that is atrocious in my opinion.

Needless to say, I bought a bunch of Dynamat products to begin quieting it down. I started yesterday with covering the underside of the hood with Dynamat Xtreme and then their Hoodliner. I also removed the piece in between the hood and the windshield, because as you'll see in the video, it sounded like a tin can before applying the Dynamat.

I plan to tear apart the doors and basically the whole interior to apply Xtreme, DynaLiner, and some DynaPad throughout the entire interior. I had already installed the hot heads headliner, which did make a good difference. But, it really needs a lot more work to quiet this thing down.

I'll post more videos as I get around to it, but here's the first short one of the hood. I did have to trim the section of the Hoodliner above the intake (not shown), which I guessed I would.

Chris
BigGreenGuy likes this.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-05-2018, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Here's a quick video of the driver's side rear door:

Chris
BigGreenGuy likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-12-2018, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hey guys,

I got a large portion of the rear floorboard done using the Dynamat Xtreme yesterday. Here's a quick video:

​​​​​​​Chris*
BigGreenGuy likes this.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-25-2018, 05:18 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencr View Post
Hey guys,

I got a large portion of the rear floorboard done using the Dynamat Xtreme yesterday. Here's a quick video:

https://youtu.be/MOJVdy0gAKI

​​​​​​​Chris*
How long did this take?
post #11 of 14 Old 03-25-2018, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTarna View Post
How long did this take?
It took a full day, unfortunately. But, it's been well worth it. I still have a lot more to do, but I'll do it a little at a time from here on out. Our season at the campground kicks up April 1st, so time will be limited a lot more now.

Chris
post #12 of 14 Old 04-09-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencr View Post
Hey guys,

We finally bought our first Jeep a couple of weeks ago, and I have to admit I've never seen my wife so giddy to drive a vehicle. I like it too, but the one thing that's really annoying me about it is the almost buffeting/echoing sound not to mention the super high level of wind noise with the hard top on and the windows up. But, nevertheless, I am excited about the versatility of it and the somewhat out of the box wheel-ability of it, as well. So, my wife wants to keep it low, because she'll be daily driving it with two kiddos in car seats. Here it sits in stock form, minus the front bumper extensions.

The first thing I wanted to do is replace the the tires and wheels, so we ended up choosing the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35"x12.50"x17". After doing some reading on here, I decided I wanted to find a wheel that was hub centric, so we decided on the ATX AX194 Ravines with the grey spokes and black outer ring.

Chris
I was wondering if the 35s fit with no lift? Also did you use the 17x9 wheel or the 17x 8.5
post #13 of 14 Old 04-14-2018, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan65USMC View Post
I was wondering if the 35s fit with no lift? Also did you use the 17x9 wheel or the 17x 8.5
Yes they will with the fenders? 17x9" wheel.

Chris
Spartan65USMC likes this.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-25-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Right now I'm running 35's, but I'll switch up to 37's. It's a 2017 Rubicon Recon with Auto tranny, and it's a complete pig. It constantly shifts down to 3rd gear all the time running at high speed on the hwy...super annoying. I'm leaning towards 5.38's, but is there any reason not to run that low of a gear set on these, other than the obvious pinion size?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode