NSG370 whine and hard shift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-05-2017, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

NSG370 whine and hard shift

A little background on the Jeep.
200,5xxmi
6spd manual

This morning on the way to work I noticed that I had a good bit of resistance in my shifting. I went from 5th to 4th and it was way harder than its ever been. If I pre-rev before putting it into gear, it'll go easier but its still not like it should be.

When I got to work I came to a stop, put it in 1st (quite a bit of resistance there), and eased off the clutch. I could instantly hear a whine and a slight "rubbing" sound almost like a metal on metal sound (which increased with my speed). I'm going to do a fluid change when I get home today since thats a fairly inexpensive step to take.

Since it does it in every gear, I'm leaning towards fluid before I start thinking about the synchronizers. Any insight y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-05-2017, 06:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Hopefully just fluid. Mine improved dramaticly with red line fluid. I didn't have any metal on metal sounding noises however just the typical not smooth as butter engagement. When was the clutch done?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 3 Old 10-05-2017, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
Hopefully just fluid. Mine improved dramaticly with red line fluid. I didn't have any metal on metal sounding noises however just the typical not smooth as butter engagement. When was the clutch done?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I did the clutch at 140k. Friction disk, fly wheel, both bearings and a slave cylinder. When I was putting the transmission back in, I did have some fluid spill out of the top (where the shifter attaches) but it was only about .25qt so I wasn't worried about it. I'm rethinking that now..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode