Towing a U-Haul - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Towing a U-Haul

Hey guys. First time jeep owner and Iím loving it! 2017 JKU Willyís. Iím going to be towing a 6x12 uhaul trailer this weekend and would like to use my Jeep. Will it handle that size trailer ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 07:37 AM
Rock God

U Haul is very strict about making sure YOUR vehicle is capable of safely pulling their trailer. Lawsuits are not something they want.

I pulled that same trailer with my 2013 JKUR. While I certainly could tell I had a trailer in tow, it was not bad. It handled it just fine, loaded with furniture. Not stuff to the gills, just a normal load.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 07:41 AM
Rock God

I towed the open top utility trailer. That trailer itself was incredibly heavy. Made my stock spring sag as well. Granted this was on a 2 door, so I didn't have as heavy of springs as a JKU has.

As for towing, the Jeep pulled it fine. I towed in fifth (stick shift) with the 3.8.

2010 2 door manual sport
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Rock God

With a 4dr, you shouldn't have any "fine print" issues. The 4drs have a 3500lb tow rating. Both open and closed 6x12 U-haul trailer weigh about 1800lbs leaving you 1700lbs for cargo.

The trailer has a "surge" brake actuator, nothing to adjust there...hook up, plug in.
Backing uphill can be an issue. The weight of the trailer wanting to go downhill will press upon the surge actuator and apply its brakes.

Otherwise, towing safely is a matter of load control. If the trailer starts to sway, you need to adjust the load by putting some of the heavier stuff forward of the trailer's axles. You're looking for a 10% weight bias forward. Could be as simple as moving one heavy (100-200lb) item from rear to front. (Good luck doing that after it's loaded if you've packed a closed trailer to the gills. )
post #5 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Granite Guru

Rag top

The problem you may run into is that U-Haul has a policy about convertibles although I've heard it isn't always enforced. Do you have a hardtop?
The Jeep can handle it. I've dragged a 6x10 enclosed trailer weighing ~3000 lbs. around the country with a 3.8 JKR and a 3.6 JKUR.

2014 JKUR
2008 JKR (sold)
2002 X
1948 CJ2A (restoration project)

When did your freedom to make stupid choices become my responsibility to pay for them?
post #6 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I will suggest that you do not get the largest trailer they have and over-load it with stuff.
It will be scary as f*ck.
ask e how I know this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The problem you may run into is that U-Haul has a policy about convertibles although I've heard it isn't always enforced. Do you have a hardtop?

The Jeep can handle it. I've dragged a 6x10 enclosed trailer weighing ~3000 lbs. around the country with a 3.8 JKR and a 3.6 JKUR.

Yes I have a hard top so that shouldnít be an issue

post #8 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Wheeler

I tow my Suzuki samurai (yes you can love both!) in my JK Sahara no problem. As long as the trailor is loaded rediculous heavy you should be ok.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik82 View Post
I tow my Suzuki samurai (yes you can love both!) in my JK Sahara no problem. As long as the trailor is loaded rediculous heavy you should be ok.

Isn't *

post #10 of 10 Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys. Looks like I should be OK. Trailer won't be loaded to heavy. Thanks for the advice

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode