JKOwners Forum banner

Ok guys..and gals.. pulling the trigger on 4.88

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Tierhog 
#1 ·
Ditching the 4s it came stock with.. 35 MTRK is a light true 35 but she's running like a raped ape with everything off and I'm loving it. Besides... I'm hoping not to be the last one chugging slowly up the grapevine this coming summer (5 miles of steep grade). Families all have suburbans loaded to the gills and they kick my ass. I'm hoping this will fix it and improve my off-road GR as well. Any negatives let me know. Local shop charging 1650$ Yukon

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
#4 ·
Just a weeks drive LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tierhog
#12 ·
Only negative of a reason-gear is drivability. If your JK has the Pentastar motor then it looks like 35’s are in the sweet spot for both auto and manual and what you had before wasn’t as desirable.

It will still be difficult to compete with a Burban on the freeway though. Many of the newer ones have a lot more motor than your JK and likely a passionate soccer mom behind the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#13 ·
Yeah...valid points. I'm certainly not looking to drag race up these grades, I simply am tired of the "Here we go again" and "Hang out with the truckers" portion of my driving.
Just taking the roof and doors off provided so much pep I couldn't stop finding excuses to drive her again. I've learned my lesson over 70-75, now I'd like a little cake beneath this speeds. Hell... I cannot even guarantee my next tire won't be heavier than the MTRK. Looking at the charts, I might be slinging more weight in the future. Seems like a logical step. Haven't heard anyone with regrets yet, maybe soon.

#14 ·
I like this particular gearing thread.

My manual 3.6 runs 37s and 4.56, I really like it. Although my BFGs are a small and light 37. I like the ability to just cruise low rpm on longer trips. Sure, it will take a downshift on a hill, but no big deal. And it crawls rocks fine.

But the reason I dropped in was because we have a 3/4 ton Suburban, and the 6.0 is a beast. With four people, two dogs, and all our gear, I can trailer our Jeep faster than I can drive it most places. :) Although, I am eyeballing the whipple supercharger for emergencies.

Stay safe y'all!

#16 ·
I took the suburban up the same grade...no change in temp, dropped one gear. It was heavy with gear and passengers. I has the 5.3 and some minor gearing 3.07? 3.23?
At any rate..I'm loaded light with cargo and three passengers and I'm in 3rd, screaming up the hill, trying to maintain 55-60 as the temps rise. This was STOCK with 8k miles lol
Now with 35s are bumpers, I'm thinking it will be far worse. Hoping 4.88 is a good fix. Want 70-75 Max on highway

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.