TWO part problem!...could be related...HELP-HELP-HELP! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

TWO part problem!...could be related...HELP-HELP-HELP!

PART #1---- go to start and click....second attempt it turns over for about 5 seconds...then starts....It's random though, sometimes it fires right up!....feels electrical...I HATE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS

Possibles...

a) Starter

b) Ignition switch

c) Bad ground

PART #2---- I'm going through some water right, slow and not deep; about a foot or so...the Jeep sputters, chokes and shuts off....on acceleration there is a spark knock....so I figured ****...I have water in my tank...put some water remover in the gas and knock is gone...I should have thrown a code if there is a vacuum leak right ?....WHERE IS THERE A POTENTIAL LINE THAT RUNS THAT LOW ON THE JEEP TO SUCK UP WATER?....I also thought bad ground wire but I didn't see anything that low and disturbed....

(side note, I recently bashed my gas tank skid hard enough to dent it and smash the tank against the tub anything fuel related goin on here?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 03:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

try your other key
sounds weird but I remember someone had funky starting problems and it turned out to be a bad circuit board in the key
other than that, maybe cam position sensor ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Granite Guru

Could you have hit your tank hard enough to hit your fuel pump? Sounds like a possible faulty fuel pump to me.

07 JK Unlimited X - 24s, Soft, Auto, 4:10's, Saraha 18's. OME Springs and Shocks, JKS Front and Rear Adj. Bars, JKS Disco's, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Mopar Trail Guide.

01 WJ Limited -- Gone to make room for JK Unlimited!

01 TJ for me and my son-----BYE BYE TJ see you on the trails someday....

.__0_0_0_0
[l_,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Rock God

x2 on the cam position sensor. Happened to mine and the symptoms were very similar.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL JEEPN View Post
Could you have hit your tank hard enough to hit your fuel pump? Sounds like a possible faulty fuel pump to me.
That is possible...but I won't know until I drop the tank...which I've been putting off cause it's a *****!

...I'll try that other key thing though...that would just be sweet!

Like us on

post #6 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I think theres a TSB for the cam sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

OK yep...I'm not that lucky ...tried the other key no luck

Like us on

post #8 of 10 Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM

I had the same problem (re: starting). They replaced the cam sensor, and commented that it's been a service bulletin. It's going in for it's second sensor replacement next week! Is this a common problem? I'm going to insist the dealer look deeper into it, because if I have to have it replaced again I will not be happy!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Rock God

cam sensor and/or crank sensor can cause both of the problems you are describing.

a quick scan with an OBDII scanner can tell you. usually an o'reilly automotive will scan it for free. if one is the problem, you should really replace both sensors.

i highly doubt that the water remover was what fixed the problem.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM

May be way off base but could you have loose/broken components on the evap canister and sucked water in at that point. Might be worth checking into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode