Hinged Tire Carrier or Bumper Mounted - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jcmagone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Hinged Tire Carrier or Bumper Mounted

I am in the middle of doing some upgrades to my JK. I have a set of 35" Toyo RT's going on some XD wheels. I know that is a horrible idea to try and run that heavy of a spare on the factory tire carrier as it will ultimately destroy the gate. I was set on getting a bumper mounted tire carrier with a new bumper but after looking around I am now contemplating the TeraFlex HD tire carrier and hinge. I am looking for any thoughts from the group as to why or why not you chose the set up you are running. The more research I do the more I like the TeraFlex set up. The biggest complaint I hear is that the bumper mounted set up tends to rattle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Granite Guru

I am buying a new bumper and trying to decide this as well. The bumper carrier is definitely better but my concern is that it does push the spare out a little further. I have a trailer and also put a hitch mounted bike rack on.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #3 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Wheeler

I have the teraflex HD carrier and hinge setup. Install was easy enough. The arms of the carrier plate that replaces the hinges are wide enough to not expose any of the unpainted parts of the tailgate. I've read that thats a problem with some of the other hinge replacements. I don't think I'm alone in not liking the way the tire mount attaches to the carrier plate. I accept that it works and it will hold, but I just don't like the way it works. I don't think I installed that mount quite deep enough and I expect it'll be a bit of a challenge to adjust after it's been torqued down. It's holding my 37" spare fine and only wobbles a bit when closing the tailgate from what I can tell. No rattles or anything driving around.

I went this route for a couple reasons. I had a bumper mounted tire carrier on my TJ and it annoyed me since I used my cargo space frequently. It was an inexpensive carrier with an inexpensive but effective latch that wasn't immediately obvious to someone (wife) that it was completely secured if they hadn't used it before. This resulted in one trip down the highway with the carrier swinging out. I was really considering the LOD destroyer bumper with tire carrier since it attaches/integrates with the tailgate. Ultimately I decided I wanted aluminum bumpers on my JK tho and that was the deciding factor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I do like the idea of aluminum bumpers to try and keep the weight down.
DiFfErEnT_In likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Wheeler

Less weight. No rust. Easier to paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode