Turbocharger or Supercharger for my '99 4.0L inline 6 JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By coilrod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Turbocharger or Supercharger for my '99 4.0L inline 6 JK

I've become obsessed with getting every bit of power i can out of my baby.

My father runs a garage, i have discounts on parts, loads of equipment and tools to use, and car lifts.

I want to do as much fabrication as possible to reduce the cost. I just want to know, which would be better for an inline 6 4.0L AX-15 transmission Jeep Wrangler TJ.

p.s. Ballpark for me the barebones lowest cost of doing such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

V8 swap would be better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- 37 Irok's - 4.88 - Detroit/OX -
post #3 of 7 Old 09-09-2017, 11:47 PM
Rock God

Garage
Question

@j3ff3ry_j33p .This one's for you pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-11-2017, 02:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Intercooled turbo with boost controller to bring boost on low - if you have no smog laws. Add some water/methanol injection to that plus tune with more timing. If you choose the right water/methanol injection kit and set it up right, you can bring on more timing at a lower RPM. timing is where you get HP in a tune, more so than AFR. You have to back off the stock timing with FI anyway. An intercooler gets you some of that back. WMI gets you more back. Get that tune for higher octane gas too, like 93 or 94 if it is readily available. Yeah, V8s are cool too.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
Intercooled turbo with boost controller to bring boost on low - if you have no smog laws. Add some water/methanol injection to that plus tune with more timing. If you choose the right water/methanol injection kit and set it up right, you can bring on more timing at a lower RPM. timing is where you get HP in a tune, more so than AFR. You have to back off the stock timing with FI anyway. An intercooler gets you some of that back. WMI gets you more back. Get that tune for higher octane gas too, like 93 or 94 if it is readily available. Yeah, V8s are cool too.
For his '99 4.0 jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #6 of 7 Old 09-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I have a low mileage '94 YJ 4.0l HO up with my folks house in N. Georgia which once they no longer use it for " getting off the mountain in bad weather " I have been savin for one of these. Banks Sidewinder...

So, minus the WMI, (only since I haven't researched the h2o-methanol cooling he is the expert subject matter guy on around here )I'd agree with @White13JKUR and turbocharge it...

The option of running it stroked can mitigate cost yet still provide a noticeable chunk of midrange torque and power from the strong blocked i6 if the turbo cost is prohibitive...Golen 4.2 and 4.6 strokers are known to be much punchier than the 4.0l itself ...

@coilrod . I caught the thread title SNAFU the OP made , heh ...it occurs about once a year around here that threads like this get posted; " my 1989 JK 4liter ,straight six blahblahblah..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-11-2017 at 09:31 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-19-2017, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

unless this OP, too, is like the others recently who've joined for but a single question and never to be heard from again, if that is not the case , mr. @Marky5mark4 , I noticed this on a GenRight's closeout section ystrdy

https://genright.com/products/scat-s...-0l-yj-tj.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode