Want to replace springs and tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-26-2017, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Want to replace springs and tires

I want to better my highway ride as I will be using as DD now.
2012 JKUR stock suspension except RS9000XL's and new stabilizer shock and BFG Mud Terrains.
Read good things about OME but want to know if there is a 0 to1" solution from them. Seems I only
see 2.5" as their minimum. If I go with those, will I have to change anything else like control arms or track bar changes, or relocation of brake lines? I have front winch as well.
I want a spring I can mostly just swap in with minimal other adjustments.
then for tires I'm looking at AT's either Continental TerrainContact A/T 255/75R17 115S OWL or Cooper Discoverer A/T3 255/75R17 115T W. Leaning toward Continentals.
The existing MT's have about 11k miles on them and the spare 0. Where would be a good place
to sell them and what might I expect for them?

thx for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-26-2017, 06:39 AM
JKO Addict!

The only solution for a 0"-1" is going to be coil spacers. The OME typically run tall as well and most aftermarket coils are designed to give a lift heigh of vehicle that has heavy bumpers winch armor bigger tires. You might gain a little height from a recon edition or 10th aonerveristy edition coil but no where near an inch.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-26-2017, 06:56 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I'm running a 2.5" Rubicon Express setup. I quit the aggressive tire thing a year ago. I'm running Nitto Tera Grappler G2's. Way way quieter than the BFG'S I was running and the tread wear is nil. Had my Suspension installed by 4Wheel parts. No control arm or track are changes needed. Only thing you can do for one inch is try what dirt man says or to drop in some pucks maybe or go for a one inch body lift. Check Daystar. Good luck.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 08-26-2017 at 06:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-26-2017, 09:14 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Rancho RS9000s can be adjusted to ride very soft... what setting are you running them on? How much air pressure are you running in the current tires? You might be able to improve the ride without spending a dime.

post #5 of 13 Old 08-26-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
The only solution for a 0"-1" is going to be coil spacers. The OME typically run tall as well and most aftermarket coils are designed to give a lift heigh of vehicle that has heavy bumpers winch armor bigger tires. You might gain a little height from a recon edition or 10th aonerveristy edition coil but no where near an inch.
I know Synergy has a 1", but it seems it actually goes up about 1.5 to 2, but that might be until
the spring settles in.
It's not so much that I care whether I go up to 2 or 2.5". I just don't want to have to replace much
more than the springs if possible.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-26-2017, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
I'm running a 2.5" Rubicon Express setup. I quit the aggressive tire thing a year ago. I'm running Nitto Tera Grappler G2's. Way way quieter than the BFG'S I was running and the tread wear is nil. Had my Suspension installed by 4Wheel parts. No control arm or track are changes needed. Only thing you can do for one inch is try what dirt man says or to drop in some pucks maybe or go for a one inch body lift. Check Daystar. Good luck.
I think I gave the wrong impression. I don't want to achieve 1". I'm just trying to get a replacement spring that is a much better ride without
having to add other hardware or make other changes. If 2.5" is what I have to do to get a good ride, then I'll do that. I might look at that Synergy 1" though that I read about last night. I had read good print about the Nitto, but I think they're more than what I want to spend. They have a very good reputation.
Thanks.
post #7 of 13 Old 08-26-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Rancho RS9000s can be adjusted to ride very soft... what setting are you running them on? How much air pressure are you running in the current tires? You might be able to improve the ride without spending a dime.
I actually like them adjusted as soft as they'll go, but when I do that, my ride wallows all over the road, especially in the wind. It makes steering particularly annoying. I leave them adjusted to as hard as they'll go just to keep steering tolerable. The way they behave set soft is indicative of bad or inadequate springs...."it seems", and I'm no expert. Once I get better springs, I'll try softening them up. Good thought though; thx.
I'm open to other suggestions.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-26-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
About the bigger tires brings up the question. If I do go with a 2.5" coils, then what approximately is the largest tire I can
use with the stock 17" rims. I know they have 6.5 backspacing. Other than aesthetics and potential off-road benefits, is there any benefit to a larger tire for highway handling? Will they "level out" better with the extra height or just cause more headaches for centering axles and alignment?
Any AT size recommendations in that scenario?
post #9 of 13 Old 08-29-2017, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Need guru configuration confirmation...

I've been researching this stuff for days and have decided on the following
hardware and would appreciate input to see if it looks correct.
Recall that I have 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4-dr.
The objective is to steady the ride with new springs due to heavy winch front end
and heavy spare tire on gate rear end to reduce the bouncing and wallowing around.
Also removing Mud Terrain tires in favor of more appropriate All Terrain tires for DD use.

1. Teraflex 1351500 1.5" Lift/Leveling Kit for 4dr Wrangler
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tmi-1351500
2. (5) American Racing AR105M Torq-Thrust M Anthracite Wheels AR105M7873A 17 x 8 , 5 x 5.00 in. Bolt Circle, 4.500 in. Backspace
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-ar105m7873a
3. (5) Yokohama Tires 01548 - Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 Tires - LT265/70R17
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/yok-01548

I mostly wanted to know if the wheels will fit and whether the tires will fit the wheels given
the lift/leveling kit.

Thanks for any help.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-30-2017, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bump - any wheel gurus can please take a look?
post #11 of 13 Old 08-30-2017, 08:18 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Wheels are correct with 4.5" back spacing.

We have that lift and the wheels available if you're interested in saving a little money. Shipping is free and there wouldn't be any sales tax.

I can't help with those tires, but I would give Anthony at Discount Tire Direct a shot at them. 1-800-589-6789 x 51815 and tell him I sent you. He can get you the wheels and tires mounted and balanced as well if you want to explore that option.

Marcus

post #12 of 13 Old 08-30-2017, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks. I finally found a load group C tire and decided to also bump up the size one notch - 275/70R17 - Cooper Discoverer A/T3 6-ply - part# 51731. That is vs the E group 10- ply. I'm going to give the local installer a shot at pricing first, but i may come back to you. Thx
post #13 of 13 Old 09-01-2017, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Update - first i should note that the Continental Terraincontact tire is a passenger rated tire and not an LT, so that one is out. I decided to stay with my stock moab wheels and get 5 Kumho Venture AT51 tires which are the rare six ply C load range tire in stock 255/75R17 config. I had thought about Cooper at3's but my tire guy warned of cupping issues. I googled that and found some truth to it despite good past reviews. This seems to be a more recent manufacturing QA issue. I'm also proceeding with the Teraflex Professional 1.5" leveling kit for 4-dr Jeep to hopefully better stabilize my ride due to heavy added weighted front winch and rear extra tire on gate. These springs are supposed to provide extra support for those components over stock springs. Also like getting rid of the rake and get a slight lift. This cheaper route was so that i can hopefully get the best possible highway comfort for for Daily Driver without sinking $3k into it. If i get to where i feel it's not working out as a DD, then I'll sell it and will also include 5 nearly new BFG M/T's. I'm hoping the ride will improve enough to keep it though since i sunk nearly $4k into the stereo system including dynamat and dynapad throughout. The sound system does sound phenomenal and i also like the quiet ride due to dynapad. There's a fair amount of my blood and sweat in this rig. I'll post before and after pics in a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode