Best winch for Poison Spyder Brawler Lite - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: What winch is best for my setup?
Smittybilt x20 12k 0 0%
Warn Zeon 10-S 5 50.00%
Dessert Rattler 12k 0 0%
Superwinch Tigershark 11.5k 3 30.00%
BACON 2 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes
  • 1 Post By REBEL OFFROAD
  • 1 Post By Sick13JKUR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-14-2017, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Best winch for Poison Spyder Brawler Lite

Hello everyone,

I recently installed the Poison Spyder Brawler Lite bumper on my JKUR and I am looking for a winch now. It seams to be the opinion of almost everyone here locally that if I don't get a Warn then I am stupid... I refuse to believe that they are the only people on the planet that know how to make a winch. That said, I have not ruled out a used Warn that would be within my current budget. I have narrowed my search down to the following (Yes I know I am all over the board) :
1) Smittybilt X20 12k Synthetic Line - $600 (New - Amazon)
2) Warn Zeon 10-S - $800 (Used - local)
3) Desert Rattler 12K Synthetic Line - $499 (New - Local)
4) Superwinch TS11500SR - $600 (New - Amazon)

What do you all think?

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Sick13JKUR; 08-14-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-15-2017, 08:04 AM
JKowners Vendor

Hey there Sick13JKUR,

We've been having great luck with the Warn Zeon10-S units - props to you if you have access to a used one. Aesthetics and use wise that unit seems to be the most popular.

I've had a few builds roll through with the X20 - seems decent for the price but I haven't used one out on the trails.

I don't have any experience with DesertRattler or Superwinch, hopefully someone else could chime in on these two units...

Cheers,
Ryan
Rubi-8 likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-22-2017, 06:31 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I chose the superwinch. The clincher was the solenoids. Instead of those little individual solenoids for every little movement, they have a module that has been heavily weatherized and is cheap to replace. No guesswork, no fuss.
Competitors, they have individual ones and depending on the brand, can get expensive and the guesswork is simply unnecessary in this day and age. The insulation on the "brain" of these winches is paramount. I don't care about Bluetooth and other gizmos. Reliability is foremost.

I chose steel cable. I'm in the sun a lot and don't want a bag in front. I also like the abrasion and dirt resistance of steel.

If it snaps, it snaps..Cable is cheap

Price point. Are you freaking kidding me? Why?

I have the tiger shark 11.5. I've had mile marker hydraulic, and a warn.

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..

Last edited by Tierhog; 08-22-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-22-2017, 06:10 PM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

I use a Warn 10S with mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 PM
Granite Guru

The problem with the module is if it breaks , nothing works. With 4 individual solenoids you have a much better chance of survival. That being said, Warn on both my Jeeps. One I got free/used and restored it and the other I bought new.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-22-2017, 09:53 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'd do the Zeon 10-S for $800. Mine hasn't ever let me down and as Ryan up there mentioned, they are sure sexy looking on top of everything else. Don't forget to pick up the winch spacers for the Brawler Lite. The Zeon is a big bodied winch and needs a little boost to clear. I added a link to show you what they look like, but they aren't hard to make if you're handy.

Zeon Winch Spacer Plates Poison Spyder

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 Old 09-02-2017, 05:23 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
The problem with the module is if it breaks , nothing works. With 4 individual solenoids you have a much better chance of survival. That being said, Warn on both my Jeeps. One I got free/used and restored it and the other I bought new.
Or four times the probability of a failure or partial failure. Lol
It's kind of a moot point as warn finally modernized it's lineup.
I would venture if he stayed with the reliable brands he'll be fine. Everyone assumes he'll be submarining and being dropped out of ass of a C-130 and 99% never see such extremes
I killed a warn in the water once. A buddy killed a electric MM. I had a hydraulic MM. Couldn't kill it. Have had to Superwinch too. So far so good, but who knows. Maybe some of our Texas buddies can vouch. Lord knows they are likely putting some abuse in with their winches and the weather.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #8 of 11 Old 09-05-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Got a smoking deal on a Superwinch Talon 12.5i... Incredibly FAST line speed. $665 from Superwinch right now if anyone needs one.
Tierhog likes this.

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

post #9 of 11 Old 09-23-2017, 08:46 PM

Don't know if your looking still but I found my Warn zeon 10 with steel cable on Craigslist brand new for $300

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 10-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Wheeler

Garage

I run a Warn VR10-s on mine and love it. However, if I could've found a Zeon 10-s for $800 I wouldn't have hesitated on that.

JKUR Rock Krawler 3.5", Fox 2.0 shocks, RK High Steer/Drag link flip, 37x13.5/20 & 5.13's and a whole bunch of other stuff
post #11 of 11 Old 10-22-2017, 05:40 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I thought Warren Zevon was dead.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode