Warranty voided? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By snout
  • 1 Post By whiteyjfm
  • 1 Post By SurfnSnow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Question Warranty voided?

I have a "blank canvas" '15 JYUR that I want to lift, wheels/tires, etc. I was told by my dealer that they can only do the mods - otherwise my warranty will be voided. However, I was told by others (local mod shop and an aftermarket parts rep) that is bull. We bought the vehicle new in '16 with an extended warranty and don't want to screw it up! Thoughts and/or experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

The answer to your question will be as follows:

25% will be internet-lawyers informing you of Magnuson–Moss Act, none of which they have ever read.
25% will inform you that they heard differently from "their" dealer / friend / parent / talking cat / singing bush
25% will berate you for paying for an extended warranty
12.5% will tell you to fix your own shit
12.5% will be upset if I do not include a +/- % error for bacon
wharthog69 and brianc636 like this.

Last edited by snout; 08-14-2017 at 12:31 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 01:22 PM
Granite Guru

If it were me, I would call a few other dealers and see if they are mod friendly for lift kits etc. Not naming names but the service manager where I bough my Jeep was all about voiding a warranty even if they were to regear it. Another dealer under new management seems to be ok with my mods, unless the wear is due to the mods. For example I know my lift and tires will prematurely wear oem ball joints. I know and and they know I do not expect them to pay for it. Go from there and weigh out your choice. I have a 16 and went for it. Anything suspension wise I am got to replace with aftermarket parts. I only take my Jeep in for recalls. Oil, rotations, filters, I do it. As long as the engine, and transmission along with all the electronics runs reliable, everything else can be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Granite Guru

All the parts that you chance will not be under Jeeps warranty, the rest still will be. We have our Jeep for 5 years now and never gad an issue with warranty work. It is all dealer related. Find another dealer, even if you have to drive to another dealer. That is what I do since our local dealer are not nod friendly.
aqualungs likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Granite Guru

FCA will try and find ways to not have to pay. In their defense think about how much diesel truck warranty they did before they became wise to programmers. If you find a dealer that will turn a blind eye then you are good, until your travelling and break down. The dealer you get towed into may not be as friendly. A quick call to FCA and you could have restriction on your vehicle.
It is against the law for FCA to actually void a warranty (their words). But they can put a restriction on it. And they should. If you want to modify your vehicle then it's your repair.
The dealers are starting to get forced into digital imaging for warranty authorization. So say you have a paint or a headliner problem. The dealer will have to send pics of the VIN, odometer, front, rear and side body pics, and lastly a picture of the problem. The FCA will decide how to proceed. Now don't kid yourself that the FCA rep won't see the lift. Then you'll have a restriction.
For me it's worth it. But decide that for yourself.

2014 JKUR, 2.5 JKS lift, Poison Spyder flares and covers
post #6 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfourwheeler View Post
I have a "blank canvas" '15 JYUR that I want to lift, wheels/tires, etc. I was told by my dealer that they can only do the mods - otherwise my warranty will be voided. However, I was told by others (local mod shop and an aftermarket parts rep) that is bull. We bought the vehicle new in '16 with an extended warranty and don't want to screw it up! Thoughts and/or experience?
In a sick, twisted way, they may be "right". If you chose to not have them do the lift and such and you took the jeep back there for service, they could flag it in FCA's database as "modified" and thus no dealer would be able to perform warranty work on it. Or at least that is my understanding of how it works.

Here is the warranty verbiage from FCA on aftermarket parts:

https://www.mopar.com/etc/designs/mo..._statement.pdf

Note that a dealer cannot change or alter the warranty as written.

If it makes you sleep better, than pay thru the nose for their parts and labor. Personally, I hate dealers and do everything I can to spend as little time and money with them as possible.

Last edited by Nucleophile; 08-14-2017 at 08:05 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 08:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
In a sick, twisted way, they may be "right". If you chose to not have them do the lift and such and you took the jeep back there for service, they could flag it in FCA's database as "modified" and thus no dealer would be able to perform warranty work on it. Or at least that is my understanding of how it works.

Here is the warranty verbiage from FCA on aftermarket parts:

https://www.mopar.com/etc/designs/mo..._statement.pdf

Note that a dealer cannot change or alter the warranty as written.

If it makes you sleep better, than pay thru the nose for their parts and labor. Personally, I hate dealers and do everything I can to spend as little time and money with them as possible.
Now this is interesting. When you read the general parts warranty I linked above, it makes it sound like any Mopar part or accessory installed by a dealer does in fact fall under the New Vehicle Warranty.

But then when I looked at the Mopar lift kits, they show these two documents under the "warranty" tab for the lift kit.

https://mopar.chromedata.com/NextGen...R/warranty.pdf

https://mopar.chromedata.com/NextGen...e_Warranty.pdf

The second one doesn't really apply but I included it for completeness. The first one clearly states the warranty is only for 12 months and/or 12,000 or unlimited mileage depending on some other circumstances. The only part of the New Vehicle Warranty that applies is the TOWING if the part fails and the vehicle needs to be towed.

It appears to me, if you pay the dealer for the parts and installation, the best you get is a 12 month warranty on the parts (lift kit specifically) and I guess the tacit wink - wink that they won't deny other non-related warranty work if you buy the parts and installation through them.

I think its fascinating the document I first linked clearly states the New Vehicle Warranty applies and the second document clearly states that it is only a 12 month warranty. I suppose you could fight to have the first document apply, but good luck with that.

In the end you have to decide how important having that warranty is to you.

Eidt: In reading the docs again, I think the catch is what is a "part" and what is an "accessory". Read carefully.

Last edited by Nucleophile; 08-14-2017 at 08:30 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Granite Guru

You should have specified " experience only ". I'll be going in for my second 5 year inspection in two months. That means I've had my Jeep for ten years and I have the life time warranty. You have to do the inspection within 60 days of purchase date every 5 years to keep the warranty. I have also had issues along the way, my rear locker quit working, my track bar bracket broke off my rear diff. housing, they replaced it, Electronic sway bar, fixed, upper oil pan gasket leak, fixed, all fixed under warranty as was all the recalls. Did I fail to mention that I have a 6" long arm with Fox shocks, 35" tires, skids everywhere, front and back aftermarket bumpers, winch,sliders, etc.? I've never had a problem with the warranty but I have heard of lift friendly Dealers, I guess I lucked out with both I've dealt with, in two different states. That's my real experience. I'm not going to tell you my "thoughts" and I'm not going to regurgitate what I've read.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 05:26 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post Warranty work

I have an 08 with the lifetime powertrain warranty. I have a 4" lift that I self installed in my driveway. Jeep has been fair with me as to covering the powertrain that is not affected by the lift. I would not expect them to warranty things I have changed (such as my front driveshaft). They have charged my for removing accessory's such as my skid plates and the air compressor I have mounted next to the master cylinder to gain access to the warranty parts.

Jeep has
rebuilt my transmission (twice)
replaced my water pump
valve cover gaskets
oil pan gasket
My left Exhaust manifold 3 times
my front axel housing.
under warranty.

I would say they are reasonable to work with.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Granite Guru

Hey Jacktuttle, looking at your list I'm reminded there were more things done under warranty then I remembered. We also have the same year Jeep and were the same age. Maybe that's the ticket for getting our junk fixed under warranty ! lol
post #11 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualungs View Post
If it were me, I would call a few other dealers and see if they are mod friendly for lift kits etc. Not naming names but the service manager where I bough my Jeep was all about voiding a warranty even if they were to regear it. Another dealer under new management seems to be ok with my mods, unless the wear is due to the mods. For example I know my lift and tires will prematurely wear oem ball joints. I know and and they know I do not expect them to pay for it. Go from there and weigh out your choice. I have a 16 and went for it. Anything suspension wise I am got to replace with aftermarket parts. I only take my Jeep in for recalls. Oil, rotations, filters, I do it. As long as the engine, and transmission along with all the electronics runs reliable, everything else can be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had the same experience with a couple of dealerships; if the part that failed did not fail due to the lift, then it was replaced with no problem.
aqualungs likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Not to be rude but this is daily question. Not your fault, so I'll briefly explain what the majority have already read.

Any modification you make the dealer won't warranty unless they install it or sub it out.

They want the cash if they share the risk.

Any original part generally won't be covered if Jeep can prove/satisfy "systemic loss"

The dealership has to obey Jeep for reimbursement.

An example off "not covered" would be a front driveshaft after a three inch lift, or a hub after 37s and a big offset, etc

An example of "covered".
Water pump failure. Jeep engine is stock, 4 inch lift and 40s.

This is a broad generalization, but should give you a general idea.

Enjoy your build

Steve

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #13 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
You should have specified " experience only ". I'll be going in for my second 5 year inspection in two months. That means I've had my Jeep for ten years and I have the life time warranty. You have to do the inspection within 60 days of purchase date every 5 years to keep the warranty. I have also had issues along the way, my rear locker quit working, my track bar bracket broke off my rear diff. housing, they replaced it, Electronic sway bar, fixed, upper oil pan gasket leak, fixed, all fixed under warranty as was all the recalls. Did I fail to mention that I have a 6" long arm with Fox shocks, 35" tires, skids everywhere, front and back aftermarket bumpers, winch,sliders, etc.? I've never had a problem with the warranty but I have heard of lift friendly Dealers, I guess I lucked out with both I've dealt with, in two different states. That's my real experience. I'm not going to tell you my "thoughts" and I'm not going to regurgitate what I've read.
5 yr inspection? Interesting. I was never informed of such and must have missed that as I read thru the contract.

EDIT: I just pulled up my contract, searched all 10 pages for the term "inspection," no hits. Then searched for the number "5," many hits but nothing regarding an inspection. Lastly I searched for the word "five," no hits. Maybe the Life Time Warranty terms have changed. I know others have said there policy refers to a mix allowed lift, mine has no such language.

2015 Wrangler Unlimited (Tank)
Bestop Trek Top Nx, Trek Armor Blk/OD Seat covers w/ Bartact & Army surplus bags
Rubicon Shocks w/ 19/60 springs, 2.5" Teraflex BB lift w/ Superlift fr&rr adj track bars & Rancho CA bracket, NR 4x4 9/16" bolt kit
GY Duratrac 315/70R17 tires on Willys rims w/ 1.5" wheel spacers,
Smittybilt XRC Side Armor, Drake locking hood latches

Last edited by brandofamily; 08-21-2017 at 05:07 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 06:45 PM
Minstrel Gigolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandofamily View Post
5 yr inspection? Interesting. I was never informed of such and must have missed that as I read thru the contract.

EDIT: I just pulled up my contract, searched all 10 pages for the term "inspection," no hits. Then searched for the number "5," many hits but nothing regarding an inspection. Lastly I searched for the word "five," no hits. Maybe the Life Time Warranty terms have changed. I know others have said there policy refers to a mix allowed lift, mine has no such language.
I think somewhere during / after the economic downturn, Jeep offered a lifetime warranty, however to keep it intact you needed to perform the 5 year inspections. On later models the lifetime warranty became optional and does not require the inspections. I may be totally wrong, in which case, uh.. boobs.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 08:49 PM
Granite Guru

You are correct sir ! When I bought it in late 2007(2008 model), they were offering a free lifetime warranty. The stipulation is what I described. What I didn't know is that not everyone has to have the inspection. That's okay, I'll have them fix the clock spring under recall, replace the sticky window switch and the associated light bulbs while there under warranty, while there in there replacing the killer air bags. I hear a little exhaust leak also, maybe have to replace the exhaust manifold again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode