new guy looking for guidance - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fklein6768

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-02-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

new guy looking for guidance

Hello from SW Missouri! Short time lurker and not yet a jeep owner however I’m trying to get some insight from the knowledgeable folks here to make sure I’m headed in the right direction before I purchase one.

I plan on getting a 4-door JK after the first of the year and will probably purchase several things for it at the same time. Mostly suspension, tires, wheels...etc. with brakes and small stuff down the road.

Here is what I’m thinking I’m going to get: (Usage: mostly DD with some light trails and snow as needed around here, ride quality is important to the wife.)

I was thinking I’d use the JKS 3.5” JKontrol lift kit to be able to fit 35’s (4.5” Backspacing for 9” wheels) with stock fenders. I’d like the option of fitting 37’s down the road but realize I may have to swap fenders to do that with the current lift. Is there anything I need to consider upgrading that doesn’t come with the suspension kit?

What I’m not sure about is the spare tire carrier to be able to carry the full size spare adequately. Is there a brand or brands I should consider looking at for this?

Anything else that I need to look at doing? I’m sure regearing it will be needed eventually but I’m not going to do that right away unless I need to.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-02-2017, 09:15 AM
Granite Guru

The TeraFlex replacement hinge plus adjustable tire carrier is a very nice piece that should serve you well even as you step up to a 37" tire.

I would suggest however that you consider your bumper plans for the rear as well given future plans for the Jeep. There are several nice bumper/carrier combos out there that can adequately handle a 40" without issue.

I leveraged the TF hinge/carrier for a couple of years with 37's and recently switched to the Poison Spyder bumper/swing out carrier as I jumped to 40's.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-02-2017, 09:48 AM
JKO Addict!

37's typically require a 3.5" bs or less. I would prefer adjustable links vs fixed if you think you may make future adjustments. Drop brackets may also be a better alternative to the fixed arms if you are just pounding the pavement. I would just delete the spare tire and add on board air and carry a plug kit. If you are going to wheel it just throw the spare in the cargo area for those days. You get a lighter jeep everyday with better visibility and wheeling with a big tire on the back with poor visibility can lead you to run into a tree and damaging both the carrier and rear of the jeep. It happens all the time on the trails.
Good luck with the build

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-02-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjindna View Post
The TeraFlex replacement hinge plus adjustable tire carrier is a very nice piece that should serve you well even as you step up to a 37" tire.
I would suggest however that you consider your bumper plans for the rear as well given future plans for the Jeep. There are several nice bumper/carrier combos out there that can adequately handle a 40" without issue.
I leveraged the TF hinge/carrier for a couple of years with 37's and recently switched to the Poison Spyder bumper/swing out carrier as I jumped to 40's.
This is a good idea, I had not thought about replacing the stock unit with a bumper/carrier combo but in the long run, it probably makes more sense. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
37's typically require a 3.5" bs or less. I would prefer adjustable links vs fixed if you think you may make future adjustments. Drop brackets may also be a better alternative to the fixed arms if you are just pounding the pavement. I would just delete the spare tire and add on board air and carry a plug kit. If you are going to wheel it just throw the spare in the cargo area for those days. You get a lighter jeep everyday with better visibility and wheeling with a big tire on the back with poor visibility can lead you to run into a tree and damaging both the carrier and rear of the jeep. It happens all the time on the trails.
Good luck with the build
Good suggestion also on the spare tire delete. If 37ís are going to require different wheels, Iíll probably just stick with 35ís and go on. Iíll look at getting adjustable links as well, I do like that and a better choice.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-03-2017, 10:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Auto or manual and axle gear ratio all come into play too when you start talking large tire size.

Tuner if you want the auto to shift properly as you can get away without one with a manual. 3.21 ratio with an auto and 35s could be unlivable if you need to drive at any type of elevation.

Lots of variables so read as much as you can and have a plan (it helps but no guarantee you won't want 37's once you have the 35's dialed in-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
brianc636 likes this.

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #6 of 6 Old 08-03-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I think 37's are probably out anyway, I'm hoping for an auto/3:73 vehicle as down the road a v8 swap will probably take place since I have access to a automotive machine shop for free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode