Going to Buy a JK - Need some Input - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Going to Buy a JK - Need some Input

Ok,

I have decided to trade my '07 STI in on a JK!!!

Drove a 2 door rubi and didn;t like it. Drove a Sahara Unlimited and it was pretty sweet!! (Both Auto's, Sahara had the 3.73's) I thought the Rubi was gutless and bobbed left to right on the road. Now understand my ohter vehicle I built and it drives perfect even at 75 with 36" TSL's.(Pictures Attached).

I didn't like the looks of the unlimited at first but the room in them is amazing!! Now, i will use the jeep as a sometimes driver/light to medium offroad (Camping/Fishing/maybe a jeep jamboree or two). I also want to pull a 4-place sled trailer (Aluminum and smaller than most - My s-10 has always pulled it fine and still dose even with the 36's, 4.10's and a really tired 4.3L.

That said, I almost want to get a 6 speed but am leaning toward the auto for others ease of driving and re-sale if i end up not keeping it. Looking for imput from other's on this since you guys have alot more time in the seat than I do in these things. I am leaning towards a rubicon incase i do get a bug up my ass for a little lift and 35's or 37's but that isn't a given. The 44 front is the driving force behind the rubicon thing (Do they hold their value better or same as an X?)

I guess I am just looking for imput - also on the options is the dual top option that great or is it better to just buy a soft top aftermarket?

Are the rubicon maunal trannys a little less gutless than the auto or is it just the 4.10's that make me feel like it's a dog?

Also - wahts the best color? I like them all excpt the yellow. I have located a white Rubicon Unlimited but I really like the rescue green. The red is nice so is the jeep green.......ahh it's a tough decision - especially on the 08's

I was also kicinng around just getting an base X unlimited and throwing some tires and a little lift on but that 35 front has me leary of doing so.......

Too many questions right? I appreciate the feedback
Attached Images

Last edited by Jon Brock; 10-13-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 10:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Welcome Jon. Nice rig.

I think most of the people who have gone with that large of tires have changed to 5.13's but I'll answer the easy question and leave the rest up to the experts

There is only one color JEEP GREEN The wife and I considered the Rescue Green, looked really good on a sunny day but we saw it on a cloudy day and it was all over. But seriously whatever makes you happy.

good luck with your search.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I really think that you need to honestly determine some things before going any further. What do you honestly want the jeep to be used for? What % of time will be spent on the street vs off road? Long commutes? Lots of storage a must? Kids or passengers often ride in the back? How likely will it be to keep it stock vs lifted?

If you dont like the way a 2 dr handles when stock, then surely you won't like it any better lifted. If you go off road a lot and/ or plan to resale in the future, then consider color like silver as opposed to strange or dark colors. Every model has it's drawbacks and advantages compared to others, as well as the intended use. I think you should really try to answer some of the above questions and post again when you've nailed down some of this criteria. People here will always be happy to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Rock God

By the looks of your current rig... You're gonna wheel the crap out of the JK... Going with a Sahara you are going to have to upgrade a lot of parts.. I know this from experience. You may as well go with the X model and save the cash and pick and choose your upgrades from the factory based on what you are going to use the JK for. In my opinion and I know other rubi owners may shun me for it... A rubicon is the best out of the box experience where you can start wheeling it without much upgrades so its for someone who doesn't really want to make a lot of upgrades or buys it for the name.. Yeah it has a lower Tcase and beefier stuff, but if you look around most of the guys who seriously wheel replace that stuff with Atlas or Dana 60's. I LOVE my sahara, but really to get it to the point of where it is now, took some $$$.

So really like the other member said do your homework and really figure out what you want to use it for... Then your decision is easy!!

Regardless of your choice I am sure you won't be disappointed! Besides all the things that you will say..(oh well it is a jeep).. You will know what I mean!

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #5 of 16 Old 10-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Rock God

Welcome to the forum...

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

post #6 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Guys!

I will wheel it rather heavily (Yet Respectfully), but the S10 will be the glutton for abuse and be the rig of choice fo! My biggest concern is buying a jeep and putting on 35's - I think the 44 front in the rubicon is going to be alot better off! Although I may lift the Jeep, I do not ever plan on swapping axles out in it for 60's or modified 9's. That being said, I designed and built my S-10 and it's begging for a 60 & a V8 so the jeep will fill the void while the S-10 is in the shop along with traveling and hunting/fishing trips (Which have been known to get rather offroad intensive - remember extracting S-10 with a backhoe on one particular fishing trip!! For the reacord we caught the hell out of them that day). I am sure the jeep will stay stock (I might fab up some bumpers and other goodies and it may serve as a development vessel for some AM products) for a while - so I do need it to be rather capable from the start.

I am almost stuck going with the 4 door since the 2 doors will only tow 2000lbs....and I will need the room in the back for my 7' one piece fishing rods. Plus I need it to have the ability to haul 4 since my truck will not - I have this thing about not riding with many other drivers (There are only a few I trust) so I drive alot on trips and have to have a vehicle that can fit passengers comfortably (Key being comfortable - 3-4 hours up north with 4 people, snowmobileing gear & sleds behind!) I would just buy a full size truck but Jeeps are just so much cooler!!! I am not going to expect the jeep to tow comparable to a full size truck but it will have to be up to the task a few times a year. I will expect it to go topless in the summer and maybe even haul some fun lovin girls topless around the lake too
post #7 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 06:25 AM
Rock God

Looks like you dont want my inupt as I own the one you want the least

And it's a 6 speed
post #8 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Granite Guru

Talking

BTW -the front on a Sahara and X models is a D30, not a D35...and, they significantly upgraded the D30 on the JK's, so it is as strong as the old front D44.

That aid, they ALSO upgraded both D44's on the JK too, so they are a lot stronger than the old D44's...but the front D44 is still using the new D30 ends.

The automatic is geared more towards the overdrive end than the manual (0.69 auto vs 0.84 for the 6th gear...), and the STOCK gearing is 3.21 in the diffs, with 3.73 optional for $50, or part of the tow package....but the Rubi comes with a torquier 4.10 diff set...and the 4:1 T-Case vs a 2.72 T-case in the others.

If planning to wheel it, throw on 35's...but not swap drivetrain parts, etc...go with the Rubi Unlimited...as its long enough to be higher tow rated, has the room you need, and can handle 37's if need be, etc.

As for manual or auto...the 6 speed will be peppier, the auto is the easy button.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

[QUOTE=Gunny;41891]Looks like you dont want my inupt as I own the one you want the least

And it's a 6 speed

Actually, I would like to hear about your experience with the 6 speed/4 door rubicon!!

Your jeep looks great - I love the yellow, it's just not fitting for me.

Q1: Have you towed with it? If so what and how was it?

Q2: Drivability of the 6-speed/4 door - I have always prefered an auto for offroad but that 6 may be advantageous with the 4:1 t-case..... That auto in low may be a little difficult to deal with? And how is it on the road - lost of shifting or more pick a gear and stay with it?

Q3: Your Mods? I like the overall look of your Jeep - tis a good clash of on/off road capability and looks real clean to the eye.

Thanks!! Now if i can just find a good dealer - they dealers here are deadbeats!
post #10 of 16 Old 10-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I really don't see how you could be too disappointed with the 4 door Rubicon model. If you find that you are high centering it too much off road, then you could add a winch (on an aftmkt front bumper). You could also keep the wheels and driveshafts stock and go with a very inexpensive budget boost to give you a little more clearance and regear it to give you some more oomph. Since Rubicons also come stock with rocker protection and lockers front & rear, you could do very little to that vehicle and likely be pretty satisfied with the on road handling as well as the off road capability. I love my 6 speed for what I do with my jeep, although it becomes a little tedious when doing a lot of stop and go street driving, besides that if/ when I try to resale it, I will likely see fewer perspective buyers than if it was an automatic. JMO

Before giving any further recommendations, it would really help to see the "fun lovin topless girls". It is necessary to see what kind of "cargo" space you really need. No more advice until then!

FWIW- If you don't have to have one immediately, you can always order your new Jeep and get exactly what you want. Good luck with your decision, Jon.

Last edited by StubEXrube; 10-03-2008 at 12:04 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-04-2008, 08:03 AM

I'm also in the market for a new or slightly used JK Rubicon. Trying to decide if its worth getting a new one and spending more or saving a little and going with a used 2007. Any thoughts? Were there any major changes for the 2008 model?
post #12 of 16 Old 10-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Rock God

I bought silver and love it, it hides those custom tree pin stripes well, as far as other colors I also really like the steel blue (but it's not available on 2009).....when considering resale, they will both hold there value the same only one will be a higher value (but also a higher original price of course)....I bought an automatic, but that is because I had to (handicapped) I would have definitely bought 6-speed if I was capable just personal preference on tha trails!....all in all what ever you decide you will love it, once you cruise around in it you'll stop thinking about re-sale! good luck to your decision!

Like us on

post #13 of 16 Old 10-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I will wheel it rather heavily (Yet Respectfully), but the S10 will be the glutton for abuse and be the rig of choice fo!
Once you wheel the JK, you may never go back...

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #14 of 16 Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airric00 View Post
Once you wheel the JK, you may never go back...

X2 on this comment.

A Rubi with D44's and lockers front and rear will spoil you. Not to mention you can go just about anywhere.

P.S. Airric00, Your jeep looks right at home in CO. I'm jealous.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quick .02

If auto, then buy X model with rear locker / Esway option and install MOPAR D44 front yourself. The 4:1 TCase and an auto don't mix well IMO. You can over run the brakes in lo range. IMO 5:13s are a must with the auto, 35" rubber is a given.

If 6sp, then Rubicon (or X and add a 4:1 Tcase to the above mentioned parts list). 4.88's and 35's.

Color, Detonator Yellow.

Bob

- "Master Your Terrain"

We offer a 10% discount to all active duty military personnel!
post #16 of 16 Old 10-07-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Yacht View Post
Quick .02

If auto, then buy X model with rear locker / Esway option and install MOPAR D44 front yourself. The 4:1 TCase and an auto don't mix well IMO. You can over run the brakes in lo range. IMO 5:13s are a must with the auto, 35" rubber is a given.

If 6sp, then Rubicon (or X and add a 4:1 Tcase to the above mentioned parts list). 4.88's and 35's.

Color, Detonator Yellow.

Bob
I kind of figured that the 4:1 and the auto would be a problem but I may have to accomidate a few others by getting the auto and nobody has any manuals left on their lots.....

I have another request:

Can anybody with a unlimited post up pics - looking at the different colors That's a tough call to make

I like the flame red but i don't think it will work for business trips
I like the Rock red pearl or whatever they call it but it's a little femamine
I like the stone white but not sure about white
I like the green just think it looks amish with a black top and nobody has one with any other top
I like the silver with the modded jeeps but I don't in stock form
Yellow is awesome - just not for me

Grrr.....

Anyway I would appreciate the pictures - I am leaning toward the Jeep Green, Flame red, and Canyon red

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode